Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 14:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

580EXII Repair - Bargain or ripoff?

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,845 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 20, 2014 13:03 |  #16

They offered to repair it for $184, you agreed. No griping afterward. Would you feel better if the part they replaced had cost $200? You rolled the dice.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

sponsored links
Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 20, 2014 13:47 |  #17

Unless you KNOW how to repair it and are willing to take the risk of doing so, then no, you were charged fairly IMO.

So either you LEARN the trade of electronics or keep your broken flash.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 20, 2014 13:50 |  #18

umphotography wrote in post #16620384 (external link)
Why do you feel ripped off. Did you know what was wrong and how to take apart the flash and fix it. If so, you should have done it yourself. If not, pay the price or go out and buy a new one.......Your attitude sounds like your entitled........nothin​g is a free ride in this world........Fix it yourself or pay someone else....pretty simple concept.

Well stated Mike.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 20, 2014 13:55 |  #19

I had a refrigerator stop cooling a few years back. I paid $149 for a tech to come out to look at it. He moved the refrigerator away from the wall and found a packaging peanut blocking the fan. He removed the peanut... Problem solved... He used no parts.. It took him 5 minutes to fix the problem.

Am I upset..No .. He did what I asked and solved the problem. He accomplished what I was not able to do.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 20, 2014 16:05 |  #20

n1as wrote in post #16618853 (external link)
The did not charge for parts. A quick internet search reveals that the parts would cost me about $75. That leaves about $90 for the labor charge.

How do I feel about it? I feel ripped of. I'm guessing it took a tech about 45 min to make the diagnosis & repairs. 45 minutes of labor plus $50 in parts (which is probably what their cost was) doesn't come close to the $184 it cost me. But, those are guesses. I might be off.

I would of tried to fix it myself.
That way after I got done screwing it up and sent it into canon I would of feel like I got my monies worth. bw!

Or gone the cheap way and paid someone cheap to fix it.
Then when I would get it back and it wasn't fixed right , I could send it to canon
and kick my butt for not sending it to them begin with.

Farmer

-AP-
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 20, 2014 18:56 |  #21

farmer1957 wrote in post #16621738 (external link)
I would of tried to fix it myself.
That way after I got done screwing it up and sent it into canon I would of feel like I got my monies worth. bw!

Or gone the cheap way and paid someone cheap to fix it.
Then when I would get it back and it wasn't fixed right , I could send it to canon
and kick my butt for not sending it to them begin with.

Farmer

That's funny.. I hate to say it, but I've done just that...:p

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

4100xpb
66 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 21, 2014 13:49 |  #22

-AP- wrote in post #16622199 (external link)
That's funny.. I hate to say it, but I've done just that...:p

Me too - I've got a lens at Canon for this stage of the process right now.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 21, 2014 20:28 |  #23

Me too. As a teen we would be pulling out car engines and all kind of stuff. Remember the day when you could recognize a a carb, distributor, etc. I replaced standard clutches, brakes, etc.

I was always proud with brake jobs. I saved money because I always had parts left over. I was not sure where to install them so I took them back for a refund.

We succeeded most of the time but once I thought I could repair a manual transmission. Wound up towing the car to a shop and I had to walk in with a box of gears. It was very embarrassing.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Wavy ­ C
857 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 22, 2014 17:13 |  #24

About two months ago my 580ex II took a bad fall. After picking it up I could tell right away that the flash tube had broken (a rattle when I shook the flash) The zoom mechanism appeared to be working but the sound from the motor seemed slightly different than before.

After getting home I opened the flash head to have a look. Then I checked the price of parts to fix it. A new flash tube was fairly cheap, just £7, and would involve soldering it in place. The flash tube already inside a reflector assembly was around £25, and the entire unit inside the flash head, consisting of flash reflector and flash zoom mechanism, was around £50.

In the end I purchased the entire flash head unit (flash tube, reflector and zoom mechanism). I figured the flash was quite old and had seen a lot of use so it was probably better to replace the lot.

After buying the part I found that fitting it was fairly straightforward (a few screws and a couple of wires to connect). I found a step-by-step guide on someone's web site who had done the same thing.

So my total repair bill was £50. I thought it was worth it to get the flash working again.

----------
It wasn't me!

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 23, 2014 12:52 |  #25

Here's a link to the service manual for the Canon 580EXII with everything you might like to know and a lot you wouldn't. All the part numbers, how to take it to bits, schematics for the various circuits, basically the whole business.
http://www.westonphoto​.plus.com …II%20service%20​manual.pdf (external link)

This isn't to say that anyone can, or should, attempt their own repairs. Simply providing the information to use or not at your own risk. To echo the old "Hill Street Blues" admonition - TAKE CARE OUT THERE.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 23, 2014 13:01 |  #26

Yeah. You have to be careful with the capacitor. I have responded to people in Canon forums about broken feet and the old 580 EXII switching from ETTL to TLL because a of loose clamp connection. There is a tightening procedure and the foot assembly is easy to replace (Canon has as retro) but Canon always pipes in and strongly suggests to send it in. I'm not sure I'd try to discharge the capacitor and go into the guts. I know people do it but I always seem to find a way to hurt myself.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 23, 2014 14:06 |  #27

digital paradise wrote in post #16630176 (external link)
Yeah. You have to be careful with the capacitor. I have responded to people in Canon forums about broken feet and the old 580 EXII switching from ETTL to TLL because a of loose clamp connection. There is a tightening procedure and the foot assembly is easy to replace (Canon has as retro) but Canon always pipes in and strongly suggests to send it in. I'm not sure I'd try to discharge the capacitor and go into the guts. I know people do it but I always seem to find a way to hurt myself.

People also walk down motorways/freeways. Doesn't make it a good idea though. I'm with you on this, DP, let someone else deal with the problem. It's only money, after all - much easier to replace that than a life.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

HAKIM ­ 82
80 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 23, 2014 14:27 |  #28

I understand your pain, but you have to pay to play. A new flash would cost you more and now your first class flash is fixed and you are able to use it to make great pictures; and charge for them.

sponsored links

3,598 views & 0 likes for this thread
580EXII Repair - Bargain or ripoff?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.