Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Dec 2013 (Friday) 08:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wireless backup to portable drive?

Blaster6
238 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 20, 2013 08:37 |  #1

I saw a battery powered hard drive on Amazon that creates it's own wi-fi hotspot.

Seagate Wireless Plus 1 TB Mobile Device Storage with Built-In Wi-Fi Streaming (STCK1000100)

Does anyone know if something like this could be used to create a real time backup and store photos as they are being shot by either using something like an Eye-Fi card or the bulit in Wi-Fi on a camera like a 6D?

For the price, it is probably too good to be true. Has anyone tried this?

No, I never claimed to be outstanding in the field of photography. I said I was out standing in the field taking photos.

sponsored links
ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,032 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 20, 2013 18:21 |  #2

I have this hard drive and use it to store photos for viewing on my iPads, it works perfectly for that. I have also been able to access photos from my iPhone and from my MB Pro with no problem.

I have not tried to save directly to the hard drive, but I don't think it would work. I don't think the eyefi card wold work because the storage device, such as an iPad..has to connect to the eyefi card, not the other way around. And I think the 6D wifi works the same way, the camera creates the wifi hotspot and the device connects to that. I don't see any way for the Seagate HD to connect to a wifi hotspot, it creates to the hotspot for other devices to connect to it.

Gear
Website (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,424 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 21, 2013 21:40 |  #3

Since a tablet is really yet another storage device, why wouldn't it work as an intermediate device? As you take pics, they will automatically be copied to your tablet.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

aphphoto
423 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 21, 2013 23:45 |  #4

The Eye-Fi card requires software to be installed on the device receiving the files. They offer the software for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android so you could transfer files to an intermediate device and then to the Wireless Plus or there is another solution: a custom firmware is offered for the Wireless Plus that allows for direct transfer. This is not through Seagate so I assume any warranty is null and void if you install it. http://www.hackseagate​satellite.com/wordpres​s/ (external link)
BTW the Seagate in stock form gets very mixed reviews for connectivity issues and so on. Read the reviews and then search out the appropriate section of the Seagate user forum.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

Jimil
427 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 21, 2014 14:04 |  #5

Is there any device or solution for this? I would love to be shooting and having my photos automatically copy to a wireless device as a backup. I was hoping the Seagate Wireless Plus would be able to to do this.

godashram
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 21, 2014 22:08 |  #6

Actually, while some technical knowledge is needed, using an eye-fi with a Seagate wireless plus (or satellite) is possible, just SLOW! a custom firmware is needed for the seagate. google hackseagatesatellite (one word). I tried this and while it did work mostly, transfer rates were a bit slow and if shooting Raw or video, is almost too slow to be useful. Sor small or medium sized images it should be fine.

sponsored links

1,758 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wireless backup to portable drive?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.