Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 15:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wireless live view and control from a smartphone/tablet for $38

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 15, 2014 15:29 |  #1

I was just browsing DIYP and found this:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=xnlYzt6zcpw#​t=2 (external link)

using a $30 pocket wireless router and an $8 app for your smartphone or tablet, you can have a wireless monitor and control for your camera. I just downloaded the app to my new Moto-X, and will be ordering the router after my next paycheck (bills come first, unfortunately).

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

sponsored links
Luxury
635 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 15, 2014 17:25 |  #2

I'm keenly interested in how this will work out. Please report back when you test it!

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

godashram
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 15, 2014 23:07 |  #3

just ordered one last night for this same reason

InterMurph
253 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 22, 2014 10:40 as a reply to  @ godashram's post |  #4

That TP-Link router is the hardware that the CamRanger folks are using. It's identical.

So the CamRanger folks are using a $40 off-the-shelf router, writing custom firmware, writing Android and iOS apps, and selling it for $300.

I have a CamRanger, and I would say that it is definite worth the $300. It just works, which is a lot more than I can say for the DSLR Controller, which I tried before I bought my CamRanger.

I wonder what would happen if one were to purchase the $40 router and attempt to upgrade its firmware to the CamRanger version. I am guessing that the CamRanger firmware updater will refuse to upgrade a router that isn't a "real" CamRanger product.

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 22, 2014 14:13 as a reply to  @ InterMurph's post |  #5

For those people that actually have this product. How long does the battery last?

I would prefer the real world use and not what it says on the spec.

Thanks in advance.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

InterMurph
253 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 22, 2014 14:48 |  #6

I used the CamRanger at a school event a couple of weeks ago. Two 30-minute concerts, separated by two hours or so. The battery lasted no problem.

I haven't yet taxed it, but I will in March, when I film a two-hour school play. I will try to remember to report back in when I do.

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 18, 2014 12:45 |  #7

Canajun wrote in post #16627488 (external link)
For those people that actually have this product. How long does the battery last?

I would prefer the real world use and not what it says on the spec.

Thanks in advance.

A late answer, but you can power the CamRanger via USB while in use.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 18, 2014 18:42 |  #8

Unregistered.Coward wrote in post #16699210 (external link)
A late answer, but you can power the CamRanger via USB while in use.

Oh it was helpful. I havent made the move yet. I re-read the spec and it did say it can be powered via USB. I also haven't made the move because I wanted to get the cheaper one but I was short of a buck for free shipping. Now I don't have to worry about that :lol:

I was having a hard time deciding between the Tl-MR3020 (external link) or the one featured on Youtube. I was thinking of the MR3020 because of the external power compared to MR3040 which I thought was battery powered only. Thanks for clearing that up.

My Photographic Gears.

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 24, 2014 09:25 |  #9

The DSLR Controller route works pretty nice. From reciept of the router to up and running was about 15 minutes.

I like that CamRanger now has a network bridging function so I can maintain my connection to the internet while simultaneously shooting/chimping

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 14, 2014 16:19 |  #10

It seems like my ASUS HD7 is missing an Android ISB host API. :( back to the drawing board :(

My Photographic Gears.

WillMass
636 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 01, 2014 07:34 |  #11

Off topic question: I have an Eye fi card that I have wanted to use on sessions to send images from the camera to my tablet. Unfortunately, because I have to use a CF adapter, and dud to the magnesium bodies of my cameras, the range I can get is only 5-10 feet max (even with the metal plates removed from the adapter). One solution that was recommended was to get a mobile wifi hot-spot, keep that on my person and let the card and tablet communicate through it. However this looks like a more practical, less costly solution.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this router might work in this fashion?

Thanks in advance.

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/LiquidPixelsPhoto/ (external link)

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 04, 2014 13:01 |  #12

WillMass wrote in post #16801163 (external link)
Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this router might work in this fashion?

Thanks in advance.

The router route (ha!) works well. I use a D-Link (external link) power with a USB external battery pack.

KeenanRIVALS
453 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 04, 2014 13:46 |  #13

Does the router have to be wifi connected?

KeenanRIVALS.com (external link) | Daily Street Photography Vlog's (external link)

steelbluesleepr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2014 17:48 as a reply to  @ KeenanRIVALS's post |  #14

The router is a wifi connection, it just doesn't have a source for internet. your phone/tablet sees it as a home network.

I just ordered mine! I hope to have it by monday.

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,097 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 04, 2014 14:52 |  #15

I flashed the firmware and can connect thru pc to the TP-Link, but when I try to connect to my Galaxy S3 it says internet not available and jumps back to my home wireless connection??

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

sponsored links

4,637 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wireless live view and control from a smartphone/tablet for $38
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.