Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jan 2014 (Monday) 14:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scott Kelby Explains Why He Switched to Canon

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 22, 2014 14:00 as a reply to  @ post 16627450 |  #151

:rolleyes:

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,497 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 22, 2014 14:14 |  #152

El Pedro wrote in post #16627450 (external link)
Just get it right in camera bro. You don't need Photoshop.

I was thinking the same thing... he definitely just contradicted himself...

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 22, 2014 14:19 |  #153

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16627491 (external link)
I was thinking the same thing... he definitely just contradicted himself...

Have you ever actually been a photographer? Do you know anything at all about shooting?

How are you going to get it right in camera shooting landscapes of the Grand Canyon and you want more detail in the shadows? Pump in millions of watts of flashes?

There are things you can do and things you can do. Getting your exposure, composition and white balance are things that are fairly easy to do in camera.

It isn't realistic or even possible to do somethings in camera that you can do in post. Go read Ansel Adams' books. Only an idiot would think that is at all a contradiction.

Current Gear List

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,497 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 22, 2014 14:22 |  #154

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16627506 (external link)
Have you ever actually been a photographer? Do you know anything at all about shooting?

How are you going to get it right in camera shooting landscapes of the Grand Canyon and you want more detail in the shadows? Pump in millions of watts of flashes?

There are things you can do and things you can do. Getting your exposure, composition and white balance are things that are fairly easy to do in camera.

It isn't realistic or even possible to do somethings in camera that you can do in post. Go read Ansel Adams' books. Only an idiot would think that is at all a contradiction.

Only an idiot would think it's just as good pulling shadows from a JPEG as from a RAW file, which is what you implied you do with your last post.

Also, I love how you claim skelby was unprofessional or rude in his post when you're the biggest D in this thread.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 22, 2014 14:26 |  #155

Haha, you getting upset Tommy.

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 22, 2014 14:35 |  #156

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16625028 (external link)
Sorry, I don't mess around with consumer cameras often.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

renagade69
37 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 22, 2014 14:35 |  #157

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16627508 (external link)
Only an idiot would think it's just as good pulling shadows from a JPEG as from a RAW file, which is what you implied you do with your last post.

Also, I love how you claim skelby was unprofessional or rude in his post when you're the biggest D in this thread.

I agree. I have been lurking because that is what I do. The award for big D is well earned by that guy.

------------
Canon 1DX
Canon -
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM , EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM,EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,298 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 22, 2014 14:39 |  #158

Character assassinations, petty jealousies, ad hominem attacks, this thread has it all.... not that POTN is populated by a bunch of saints, but somehow I expected better. Maybe naive on my part.....

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 22, 2014 14:50 |  #159

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16627508 (external link)

I never said anything of the sort about pulling shadows from a JPEG vs RAW. If you feel I implied that, it goes back to your lack of reading comprehension. Go back and reread.

I have talked about the superior ability of pulling shadows out of a D800 file vs pulling shadows from a 5D3 file and posted this link that shows it for you: http://www.fredmiranda​.com …dex_controlled-tests.html (external link)

Do you at least see the irony in calling me rude by calling me names? No, not at all hypocritical. :rolleyes:

So going back to you saying I contradicted myself for saying I get white balance correct in camera, but dodge and burn when necessary, how exactly would you brighten the shadows under a helmet of a football player in camera? Reflectors? Ring light?

The truth is, you don't have anything substantial to talk about that would add to the conversation, so you have resorted to just attacking me personally when I was discussing something factual. Then you called me names. Boo hoo. :rolleyes:

Current Gear List

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,694 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 22, 2014 14:50 |  #160

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16627506 (external link)

grand canyon, you can use bracketed shots and blend/hdr. You can also do the filter route and clean up non horizon elements as well. I havent even shot the grand canyon, but I imagine it's fairly easy to shoot still rocks ;)

"get it right in camera" is nice and all, but end result matters more. If there's a tough situation, then take the time to make it right, even if it takes filters or multiple shots.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 22, 2014 14:57 |  #161

Charlie wrote in post #16627562 (external link)
grand canyon, you can use bracketed shots and blend/hdr. You can also do the filter route and clean up non horizon elements as well. I havent even shot the grand canyon, but I imagine it's fairly easy to shoot still rocks ;)

"get it right in camera" is nice and all, but end result matters more. If there's a tough situation, then take the time to make it right, even if it takes filters or multiple shots.

I agree, but a bracketed shot would also look better if you blended the brackets in post rather than in camera, thereby giving you more control over the final product, correct?

I am 100% on board for multiple exposures, filters, NDs, etc but every tool doesn't always work in every situation. And when you use multiple exposures, you are probably going to work on them in post.

You can get as much as possible correct in camera, but it is impossible to get everything correct in every situation, which is why people have done extensive post processing for generations.

All that said, my get it right in camera was about the ergonomics of Nikon vs Canon. And since I do try to nail my exposure and WB in camera, it is very handy to be able to change the Kelvin WB without going into any menus, which I can do with Nikon but couldn't do with Canon. The addition of the Q menu on the 7D/5D3/1DX makes this much easier, but it is still one more step. It was a much more painful process on the 5D2.

Current Gear List

shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 22, 2014 15:03 |  #162

El Pedro wrote in post #16627450 (external link)
Just get it right in camera bro. You don't need Photoshop.

ROFL

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 22, 2014 15:04 |  #163

Scrumhalf wrote in post #16627536 (external link)
Character assassinations, petty jealousies, ad hominem attacks, this thread has it all.... not that POTN is populated by a bunch of saints, but somehow I expected better. Maybe naive on my part.....

I stopped posting here for a while because it was really bad... it's been great the past year or so, though. Hopefully we get back to that. :)

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 22, 2014 15:47 |  #164

Yes, the D800 will have more dynamic range than the 5DIII, but the Canon blows the Nikon out of the water when it comes to shooting at very high ISO"s. Not every camera everything well. Pick the one that does what you need the most the best.

I use a Kodak Brownie

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 22, 2014 16:06 |  #165

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16627576 (external link)
I agree, but a bracketed shot would also look better if you blended the brackets in post rather than in camera, thereby giving you more control over the final product, correct?

I am 100% on board for multiple exposures, filters, NDs, etc but every tool doesn't always work in every situation. And when you use multiple exposures, you are probably going to work on them in post.

You can get as much as possible correct in camera, but it is impossible to get everything correct in every situation, which is why people have done extensive post processing for generations.

All that said, my get it right in camera was about the ergonomics of Nikon vs Canon. And since I do try to nail my exposure and WB in camera, it is very handy to be able to change the Kelvin WB without going into any menus, which I can do with Nikon but couldn't do with Canon. The addition of the Q menu on the 7D/5D3/1DX makes this much easier, but it is still one more step. It was a much more painful process on the 5D2.

Not sure how the Nikon works, but I have my WB assigned to the set button. Can't get much easier than that.

sponsored links

38,834 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scott Kelby Explains Why He Switched to Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.