Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem With My Camera in Auto

Tedder
380 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 22, 2014 15:31 |  #1

I've learned, through inadvertence, that the circumference of the bottom of the cup holder in my auto is 72mm. The correspondence between its circumference and the circumference of the cap of my favorite lens is near enough to render both the cup holder and the lens cap useless. The two are perfectly mated, and the physics of the situation dictates that efforts to remove the cap serve only to further lodge it.

How can I reverse the process?

Needlenose pliers? No.

Precision electronics screwdriver? No.

X-Acto knife fitted with No. 11 fine-point blade? No.

Nail file? No.

Tweezers? No.

Duct tape? No.

Suction cup from Pottery Barn shower caddy? No.

At this point, I’m hopeful but doubtful that as temperatures rise the cup holder will expand and the lens cap shrink.

Suggestions welcome.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

sponsored links
morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 22, 2014 15:39 |  #2

vacuum cleaner

budcam
Goldmember
3,010 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 22, 2014 15:40 |  #3

Flip it upside down and tap it….

Dan
Love the pictures, keep them coming
Canon 80D 60D, 300/4 IS, 70-200 F4 15-85mm IS
Rokinon 14mm F/2.8

Cliffbsa
228 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 22, 2014 15:53 |  #4

Straighten coat hanger, bend the end to an "L" about 1inch. Put that on the top of the word Canon, squirt it with a hot glue gun, covering the hanger completely. Let cool, lift out.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,745 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 22, 2014 17:18 |  #5

Leave it there and get a centre pinch lens cap? It adds value to your car like that ;-)a

Gear List

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 22, 2014 17:58 |  #6

Convince your friends and neighbours that yours is the limited edition "Canon" special [Insert car model here], and bask in the envy . . . .

Cheers, Damien

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,541 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 22, 2014 18:00 |  #7

Either this....

morph2_7 wrote in post #16627645 (external link)
vacuum cleaner

Or these...

smythie wrote in post #16627845 (external link)
Leave it there and get a centre pinch lens cap? It adds value to your car like that ;-)a

dodgyexposure wrote in post #16627928 (external link)
Convince your friends and neighbours that yours is the limited edition "Canon" special [Insert car model here], and bask in the envy . . . .

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

DwainRowe
783 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 22, 2014 18:16 |  #8

Chewing gum?

6D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 50mm f1.4 USM -|- Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | Σ 10-20 f3.5 EX DC | Σ 70-300 4-5.6 DG Macro (Yes, I am cheap) | Speedlite 580EXII | YN622c
EOS M | EFM 22 f/2

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 22, 2014 18:19 |  #9

Take it out of Auto. Auto is always problematic.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,514 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 22, 2014 22:44 |  #10

Flip the car over,
Cut a hole in the bottom of the car,
Keep cutting through until you reach the bottom of the cupholder.
Carefully cut away the bottom of the cup holder (wouldn't want to damage the lens cap)
Once you have cut through to reveal the cap just push it out from the cupholder - voila!

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 22, 2014 23:07 |  #11

Dan Marchant wrote in post #16628650 (external link)
Flip the car over,
Cut a hole in the bottom of the car,
Keep cutting through until you reach the bottom of the cupholder.
Carefully cut away the bottom of the cup holder (wouldn't want to damage the lens cap)
Once you have cut through to reveal the cap just push it out from the cupholder - voila!

OR!

Wrap the car around a tree then have the fire company cut the car out around the cap with the Jaws of Life.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2014 23:12 |  #12

What kind of car is this? I want to make I don't buy one. Sounds like an inherent, recall-worthy defect.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 22, 2014 23:14 |  #13

You poor b*#)@#d, you're f*#(#d! Put the car in gear, put a brick on the gas pedal and drive it off a cliff. It's all over.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

benji25
Goldmember
1,089 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 22, 2014 23:15 |  #14

Some sort of Crazy Glue or something + a nail or something to glue to it so you can grab it

Actualy does the inside of the upholder come out? Like a liner sort of? most cars do so it can be cleaned.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
15,594 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2014 23:18 |  #15

I guess you are not concerned about the cap? They are pretty inexpensive. I measured a cap and there should be about ⅜" space between it and the base of the holder. Carefully drill one a hole in the centre of the lens cap. Bend a coat hanger between 45 and 90 degrees. Start with about a ¼" bend and hook the lens cap.

One hole should be enough to dislodge it. If not you may want to try 2 or 3. If the cap is not all the way down even better as you can make longer bend and closer to 90 degrees and it will be easier to remove with one hole.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

2,723 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem With My Camera in Auto
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.