Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS

this thread is locked
grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 20, 2014 19:30 |  #61

digirebelva wrote in post #16615444 (external link)
You may not like what he said, but in a nutshell he is right...and if you will notice the OP didnt disagree when called on it..

The OP is/has given some good info, there is no argument on that. But it's only a teaser so you will be more inclined to purchase his book once it comes out..;)

It's free to POTN users: https://theartofphotog​raphy.leadpages.net/br​eakthrough-launch/ (external link)

Notice that nowhere in the original post does it mention a book? Chill on the trolling.

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
digirebelva
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 20, 2014 20:42 |  #62

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16622295 (external link)
It's free to POTN users: https://theartofphotog​raphy.leadpages.net/br​eakthrough-launch/ (external link)

Notice that nowhere in the original post does it mention a book? Chill on the trolling.

No it doesn't, but it is where you were going. And my comment stands

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

Frank ­ H
635 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 20, 2014 23:39 |  #63

Thank you very much for the informative post Graham!

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,234 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 21, 2014 06:34 |  #64

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16622260 (external link)
In order to get the emails of people that visit your site (and in effect raise their hands indicating interest in your work) you give something of real value away for free.

This is great! Absolutely fabulous! Not a word of comment is needed. Those who get it, will... those who don't, won't. Good show, old man... good show!

Website (external link) |

flowrider
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 21, 2014 16:36 |  #65

Thank you for the great information.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 21, 2014 16:52 |  #66

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16609556 (external link)
The goal is to be seen as an authority by the prospect, and if you dilute your site with too many services or products the customer will feel less trust.

@Darrin, to the end that Graham mentions above, lose the footer on you site that says || Design | Photo | Animation | Video | DVD | Web Design | Web Hosting | Print | Consulting | Downloads ||

Folks are coming to buy photos, don't offer up a selection of other services. It's distracting and it says "hey, I can't make a living selling photos, how about you try one of my other shots in the dark". I mean no disrespect, I remember you from another post about Adobe products and I've see your other sites. You have talents in many areas, but don't showcase them all here.

BlessedShots
387 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 22, 2014 15:17 |  #67

Insightful post. Selling a book or not. your providing value. You could be a phony or the worlds greatest photog, I don't have time or interest to research or question, but your methods are awesome, practical and appreciated.
The way you answered , "do you consider yourself successful?" was awesome and appropriate for such a question and added to your character, in my book.

5DII Gripped // 7D Gripped // 17-40 L // 50 1.8 (happily sold 1.4) // AB400 // 2x YN 560EXII's // + Motivation

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 22, 2014 19:34 |  #68

BlessedShots wrote in post #16627614 (external link)
The way you answered , "do you consider yourself successful?" was awesome and appropriate for such a question and added to your character, in my book.

...its a shame he never really answered that question, and its a shame he hasn't provided any metrics that show his techniques work, and its a shame that he resorted to name-calling when he stopped being able to answer questions. Because calling people trolls shows such "character", don't you agree? :rolleyes:

Nearly every single thread that he has started here is based around posts on his blog. He wants traffic to his site. The guy wants to make money and we are the potential clients: what is wrong with trying to evaluate the quality of his advice? Considering that you don't have the time or interest to research or question his methods, why do you think it is wrong for others to do so?

The stuff he outlines in the OP is basic marketing fluff and glosses over what I suspect is the real story behind his success: the "seven years of being unsuccessful." It can take time to make the networks and connections and to establish a reputation. I know a couple of gallery owners and the path to success in the fine art world is infinitely more complicated than setting your price points.

Its easy to throw around marketing buzzwords and make yourself sound like an expert. But numbers don't lie: and unfortunately Graham has chosen not to share his numbers with us.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,672 posts
Gallery: 330 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 22, 2014 21:06 |  #69

Funny thing happened. I downloaded his 6D review. Had to give my email address before I could. I would normally not do that but seeing as he is a POTN member I decided to trust him and now I am suddenly receiving some newsletter that I never subscribed to. I call that bad tactics...

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 01:10 |  #70

Frank H wrote in post #16622866 (external link)
Thank you very much for the informative post Graham!

Sure! : )

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 01:11 |  #71

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #16623358 (external link)
This is great! Absolutely fabulous! Not a word of comment is needed. Those who get it, will... those who don't, won't. Good show, old man... good show!

Thanks! Glad you could find it useful.

For further insight check this out: https://app.box.com/s/​rdcgfdf5924ibc2vqe4q (external link)

Quite a lot is applicable to photography.

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 01:11 |  #72

flowrider wrote in post #16624909 (external link)
Thank you for the great information.

Thanks for reading!

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 01:23 |  #73

BlessedShots wrote in post #16627614 (external link)
Insightful post. Selling a book or not. your providing value. You could be a phony or the worlds greatest photog, I don't have time or interest to research or question, but your methods are awesome, practical and appreciated.

Thanks! They aren't really my methods, I don't take credit for the stuff here. Much of it came from Eugene Schwartz (external link), Clyde C. Hopkins (external link) and David Ogilvy (external link).

If you're interested in more of this stuff, check out my notes on Breakthrough Advertising: http://www.breakthroug​hphotography.org …hrough-advertising-notes/ (external link)

You might find a few useful things in there!

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 01:32 |  #74

banquetbear wrote in post #16628208 (external link)
...its a shame he never really answered that question, and its a shame he hasn't provided any metrics that show his techniques work, and its a shame that he resorted to name-calling when he stopped being able to answer questions. Because calling people trolls shows such "character", don't you agree? :rolleyes:

Nearly every single thread that he has started here is based around posts on his blog. He wants traffic to his site. The guy wants to make money and we are the potential clients: what is wrong with trying to evaluate the quality of his advice? Considering that you don't have the time or interest to research or question his methods, why do you think it is wrong for others to do so?

The stuff he outlines in the OP is basic marketing fluff and glosses over what I suspect is the real story behind his success: the "seven years of being unsuccessful." It can take time to make the networks and connections and to establish a reputation. I know a couple of gallery owners and the path to success in the fine art world is infinitely more complicated than setting your price points.

Its easy to throw around marketing buzzwords and make yourself sound like an expert. But numbers don't lie: and unfortunately Graham has chosen not to share his numbers with us.

I don't need to prove that this stuff works, it's not mine. It's not my content, my stuff, my anything.

I'm distilling thousands of pages of marketing technique by the masters of marketing. Sort of like the Ansel Adams but for human behavior grounded in human psychology and translated into terms that photographers can benefit from when trying to market work.

So again, focus your attention on the underlying strategy here rather than drive by trolling.

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 01:34 |  #75

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #16628432 (external link)
Funny thing happened. I downloaded his 6D review. Had to give my email address before I could. I would normally not do that but seeing as he is a POTN member I decided to trust him and now I am suddenly receiving some newsletter that I never subscribed to. I call that bad tactics...

I have this thing where if I give away something for free that should cost money I ask people for their email addresses rather than their money.

But I have a proposition: next time I give something away for free that should cost money just send me an email and you can pay instead of giving me your email address.

I don't spam or monetize my newsletters in any way.

Did you notice how I intentionally turned off channel monetization on youtube (external link)(no ads) and I have no banners on my website? = no special interests or advertising of any kind

I do have affiliate links for Amazon and B&H, which I donate 100% of the proceeds to World Wildlife Fund however. (external link) So there's the scam, if there was one.

- -

sponsored links

14,992 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.