Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Jan 2014 (Friday) 07:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An example why photography will only continue to devalue

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 21, 2014 16:19 |  #196

1Twist wrote in post #16623927 (external link)
Blah...........blah...​............blah......​.........blah.........​......

But thanx for sharing because it was a good chuckle mates!

Reminds me of photo-bombing the way you cut in... I guess this would be thread bombing.

Interesting news today that many may have seen, wedding insurance says 1/4 of the claims are vendor related and most of those are issues with photographer or videographer. What does this say about the industry and professional photographers? Are they all hiring guys with cameras off the street? Maybe it's not technology devaluing anything, but people. :)

http://www.usatoday.co​m …edding-insurance/4719191/ (external link)

sponsored links
Luxx
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 22, 2014 08:18 |  #197

Wow, I missed this thread for awhile. So memories, I have to know...Do you believe you are more important than the client? Do you believe when people changed their wedding day to have you take pictures you are more important than the client?

[looks in the other direction as he casually stirs the pot]

memoriesoftomorrow
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Jan 22, 2014 08:28 as a reply to  @ Luxx's post |  #198

Removed

Peter

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 22, 2014 08:54 |  #199

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16593519 (external link)
Not a computer in sight and the potential to shoot, edit and deliver images electronically on the fly.

I don't know. My cellphone is a more powerful computer than my current desktop at home.

The only photographers that got hurt by digital are the one that charged for sparing their clients of messing the darkroom, not the ones that charged for a good eye and composition.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 22, 2014 09:02 |  #200

Somebloke wrote in post #16607057 (external link)
Population numbers are booming..I'd be very surprised is the total number is decreasing.

Total marriages in Australia is at a all time high http://www.abs.gov.au/​ausstats/abs@.nsf/Prod​ucts/3310.0~2012~Chapt​er~Marriages?OpenDocum​ent (external link)

America may be different?

I believe I've read from more than one source that people marry less. There's civil marriage and alternative arrangements/lifestyle​s.

On the other hand the subset that marries a dozen times during their lifetime might bring the numbers back up.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Luxx
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 22, 2014 10:28 |  #201

You implied it in your post and from your attitude I just wanted to know. Turns out you've got a healthy ego but aren't crazy. It was a very reasonable question after reading your posts and if you don't think it was read your posts again and think about it.

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 22, 2014 11:05 |  #202

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16626673 (external link)
Do I believe I am... no and I have never said that.

Trying to compare "importance" here is quite frankly ludicrous. That is a loaded question and quite a lame one if I'm perfectly honest. Have people changed their wedding date in order to ensure I photographed their wedding.... Yes. It is clearly something IMPORTANT to any CLIENT if they change their date to get the service providers they want. Does that make me any more important than the client? That isn't what the importance is being used to measure.

A person who changes their plans in order to be able to buy or do something obviously places a degree of importance in the thing they are trying to purchase/do. It is a simple concept. It seems however that many on here seem put out by the fact that a consumer would take a course of action to ensure they could actually be able to hire someone they wanted to hire...

My Mom was a cake decorator and wedding coordinator way before these people could go on The Discovery Channel and become the Rock Stars of their industry. She had people move their weddings an entire year or two to ensure she could make their cake. At the peak of her business she was booked out nearly two years. Her second-to-last wedding was for the granddaughter of one of her first. She promised this woman she would do her cake when she was a little girl and did a birthday cake as a favor (most people won't pay $8/serving for birthday cake). Yes, she did the mom in between too. Her last cake was mine.

When someone has a picture (no pun intended) in their mind of exactly what their wedding will be, they will make whatever "concessions" they need to in order to make it happen.

And this was just the cake...

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

memoriesoftomorrow
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 22, 2014 11:07 as a reply to  @ Luxx's post |  #203

Removed

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 22, 2014 11:10 as a reply to  @ Fernando's post |  #204

Removed

Peter

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 22, 2014 11:14 as a reply to  @ RandyMN's post |  #205
bannedPermanent ban

Photography is devaluing? What? ??? ridiculous.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 01:38 |  #206

banquetbear wrote in post #16607128 (external link)
...so that would be yes, you are changing your claim and conceding you were wrong?

chill on the trolling.

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

Shake ­ N ­ Vac
520 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 23, 2014 02:17 |  #207

Photographer was one of the first things we looked at for our wedding. We had an idea of venue/date but as neither of us remotely comfortable in front of a camera finding the right photographer was high on our priorities list. We found one who was very easy to get along with, seemed genuinly excited at our more unusual wedding plans and was well regarded at essentially not being noticed during the wedding. We loved his work too though we would actually have sacrificed quality of work in favour of a photographer who made the whole experince as easy as him and his wife did - I have been to weddings where the photos are amazing but the photographer got them being being a huge pain in the backside and I would have hated that. We would also have moved the wedding to get the right photographer as our plans with regard to venue were always very flexible anyway.

As it happens he was free on our intended date but we would certainly have not minded moving that date - especially as they performed exactly as we had hoped, we barely noticing them for the entire day and they got a stunning set of photos without most people ever seeing them taking the pictures.

Canon 6D / Canon 70-200 IS ii / Sigma 100 Macro f2.8 / 50mm f1.8
www.sm-wedding-photography.co.uk (external link)

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 23, 2014 03:49 |  #208

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16628889 (external link)
chill on the trolling.

...dude: I said this weeks ago. Its all settled now. If you want to incorrectly accuse me of trolling at least pick something I said recently!

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 23, 2014 04:18 |  #209

I agree that banquetbear is a troll.

But unfortunately one of the least sophisticated ones.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 23, 2014 04:20 |  #210

Kanye wrote in post #16629045 (external link)
I agree that banquetbear is a troll.

But unfortunately one of the least sophisticated ones.

...coming from you I'll take that as a compliment.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

sponsored links

18,415 views & 0 likes for this thread
An example why photography will only continue to devalue
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.