Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Apr 2009 (Sunday) 14:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show Us Your RAW Conversions, BEFORE And AFTER

grahamclarkphoto
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 02:55 |  #5926

I just got back from Yosemite weekend during a landscape photography community meetup thing in SF. Last winter I was there and there was quite a bit of snow on the ground, this year... not so much! In fact days were t-shirt and sandal weather, nights were just about freezing but not quite.

Just a bit of snow on the east side of the park (shadow side), while the west side of the park was pretty dry and sunny all day (waterfall side). This viewpoint is the most widely photographed location in the park as many of the great photographers would benchmark their work against this classic composition.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I've had my 6-stop B+W filter stuck on the end of my 77mm adapter ring for GNDs, so all my exposures are pretty far out on exposure times, which I've found to blend twilight and sunset colors together for a truly impressive color gradient. ISO 50 F22 at 3:30 is usually where I start at the beginning of sundown, and add 30 second intervals thereafter, up to 4 minutes at around minute 10 after sundown. Then it's time to move to a 3-stop... unless you have a stuck 6-stop.

The download files include the RAW .CR2 file as well as the TIFF16BIT file of the slight adjustments.if you open both and move between them you can see the before and after of very slight adjustment in exposure values - color was pretty well saturated by low ISO number, maybe a little bit too much even on native saturation.

The files can be downloaded here: https://app.box.com/yo​semitewintersunset (external link)

It was about 3 days and some photographers got some really awesome shots! (if you're in SF, check out landscapephotographysf​.com (external link))

If you have any questions let me know!

Graham

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 23, 2014 03:04 |  #5927

Nice, but read the thread intro...unclear as if this shows Raw processing only, that's what it's about, and if so, please post your Raw only processing that was done!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

j4k
101 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 23, 2014 17:15 |  #5928

Here's one from me...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

1ds...50mm f1.8...85mm f1.8...135mm f2 plus several flashes and bits of kit!

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 23, 2014 17:51 |  #5929

j4k, thanks for the contribution!

Please, though, read the thread Intro! Assuming this is Raw processing (only) we need you to post the details of your processing, either a detailed "list", or better yet a screen shot of your Raw processing from whatever Raw software you are using!

Browse through this thread and you will see plenty of great examples!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,634 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 23, 2014 21:18 |  #5930

HOSTED PHOTO

0. Original
1. White Balance 5801-->6471
2. Shadows 56% Highlights -50%
3. Exposure Black 0.004 Exposure +0.52 EV
4. Color correction to Red/Blue 1.1 Saturation
5 Sharpen. Radius 2 Amount 1.114

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 23, 2014 23:31 |  #5931

Gerry, thanks for the contribution, but please, could we see a full/larger version of both the Before and After? We can't see the actual adjustments you've done here in the two versions properly!

Tony

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
16,056 posts
Gallery: 109 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 23, 2014 23:58 |  #5932

No text.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 24, 2014 00:08 |  #5933

digital paradise, thanks for the contribution!

I hate to sound like a "broken record" but please read the thread Intro and check out what gets posted here -- a big part of the value of this thread is that you post the details of your Raw (only) processing. It can be a detailed list but even better can be a screen shot of the processing from your Raw processor. There are tons of examples here to check out what we've been doing with this!

Tony

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 24, 2014 00:11 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #5934

Tony, you need to see if that can be made a recurring post for the top of each new page... :)

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
16,056 posts
Gallery: 109 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 24, 2014 00:14 |  #5935

tonylong wrote in post #16631851 (external link)
digital paradise, thanks for the contribution!

I hate to sound like a "broken record" but please read the thread Intro and check out what gets posted here -- a big part of the value of this thread is that you post the details of your Raw (only) processing. It can be a detailed list but even better can be a screen shot of the processing from your Raw processor. There are tons of examples here to check out what we've been doing with this!

Sorry Tony. Hate being a problem child :D. I pulled my images because when I get into the B&W hobby shots I get lost in my process. I can't repeat most of my B&W images. Only some basic steps. One of the few things that keeps me going. I can provide the basic steps but the fine tuning is left to taste.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 24, 2014 00:16 |  #5936

BigLobowski wrote in post #16631858 (external link)
Tony, you need to see if that can be made a recurring post for the top of each new page... :)

Gosh, not sure how to do that!

Actually, one of the regulars here suggested (in a PM) that if a week goes by and a post hasn't been "corrected" then, well, "Report" it so it can go away...

I always try to be kind and courteous in my requests...I don't think people want to "mis-behave", but sometimes just need to learn about what makes this thread work!

Occasionally someone does just post the "Friendly Tips" from the Intro, though!

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 24, 2014 00:18 |  #5937

-------------Tony's Friendly Reminders--------------

Please no pixel-processing--Raw processing only!

Please show Raw Neutral for your before, and Raw conversions only for your after! You may, at some point, post a "photoshopped" version as a reference, but your Before and After are the key, and no Photoshopping allowed!

Please post either a Screen Shot of your Raw adjustment settings or a detailed list of your settings after your After post so that we can learn and be inspired by you!

Please, post your Before and After images full size (POTN max) so that we can fully appreciate the work you've done! Rather than just showing them in a screen shot from your Raw processor let us get a good view of the larger image!

Thanks All!

Tony

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 24, 2014 00:36 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #5938

^^There you go - we can simply self-police it. First one onto a new page can simply re-quote this.

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

dedro
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 24, 2014 01:09 |  #5939

great pics on here....i want to get to this point one day
thanks

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 24, 2014 01:10 |  #5940

BigLobowski wrote in post #16631900 (external link)
^^There you go - we can simply self-police it. First one onto a new page can simply re-quote this.

That would be good, since I simply can't always keep up!:)

Tony

sponsored links

2,212,709 views & 221 likes for this thread
Show Us Your RAW Conversions, BEFORE And AFTER
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.