Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS

this thread is locked
banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 23, 2014 03:42 |  #76

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16628877 (external link)
I don't need to prove that this stuff works, it's not mine. It's not my content, my stuff, my anything.

I'm distilling thousands of pages of marketing technique by the masters of marketing. Sort of like the Ansel Adams but for human behavior grounded in human psychology and translated into terms that photographers can benefit from when trying to market work.

So again, focus your attention on the underlying strategy here rather than drive by trolling.

...oh yipee! Another accusation of trolling! Can I suggest if you are going to continue to insult us and use that word you find out what the word trolling actually means? Because disagreeing with you and the methods you espouse is not "trolling."

And am I correct that you are selling a book with content you didn't develop and that you can't prove that work in a photography context? You are admitting you have no idea if what you wrote in the OP actually works?

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

sponsored links
banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 23, 2014 03:46 |  #77

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16628882 (external link)
I have this thing where if I give away something for free that should cost money I ask people for their email addresses rather than their money.

But I have a proposition: next time I give something away for free that should cost money just send me an email and you can pay instead of giving me your email address.

I don't spam or monetize my newsletters in any way.

Did you notice how I intentionally turned off channel monetization on youtube (external link)(no ads) and I have no banners on my website? = no special interests or advertising of any kind

I do have affiliate links for Amazon and B&H, which I donate 100% of the proceeds to World Wildlife Fund however. (external link) So there's the scam, if there was one.

...I have this thing where if I give away something for free that should cost money I don't expect anything in return.

Because I've given it away.

For free.

If you are doing it in exchange for emails, then you really aren't giving anything away for free, are you. You are bartering. And since you are being up front and honest now: what do you plan to do with these emails you are harvesting?

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 03:49 |  #78

banquetbear wrote in post #16629008 (external link)
...oh yipee! Another accusation of trolling! Can I suggest if you are going to continue to insult us and use that word you find out what the word trolling actually means? Because disagreeing with you and the methods you espouse is not "trolling."

And am I correct that you are selling a book with content you didn't develop and that you can't prove that work in a photography context? You are admitting you have no idea if what you wrote in the OP actually works?

No.

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 03:52 |  #79

banquetbear wrote in post #16629011 (external link)
...I have this thing where if I give away something for free that should cost money I don't expect anything in return.

Because I've given it away.

For free.

If you are doing it in exchange for emails, then you really aren't giving anything away for free, are you. You are bartering. And since you are being up front and honest now: what do you plan to do with these emails you are harvesting?

There's no money exchanged = free

my intention is simple: to provide really high quality photography content every two weeks (reviews, articles, videos)

- -

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 23, 2014 04:05 |  #80

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16629016 (external link)
No.

...is that "No" I wasn't trolling? Because I'm glad we finally all agree on that.

There's no money exchanged = free

my intention is simple: to provide really high quality photography content twice a week (reviews, articles, videos)

You don't seem to be able to answer a direct question. What do you plan to do with the emails you are harvesting? If I were to put my email into here:

https://theartofphotog​raphy.leadpages.net/br​eakthrough-launch/ (external link)

Would I start getting the newsletter that Levina complained about? Because there is no indication at all on that page that I would be subscribing too "really high quality photography content twice a week (reviews, articles, videos)" Why, when I click on legal information, is there no legal information?

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 04:06 |  #81

banquetbear wrote in post #16629032 (external link)
...is that "No" I wasn't trolling? Because I'm glad we finally all agree on that.

You don't seem to be able to answer a direct question. What do you plan to do with the emails you are harvesting? If I were to put my email into here:

https://theartofphotog​raphy.leadpages.net/br​eakthrough-launch/ (external link)

Would I start getting the newsletter that Levina complained about? Because there is no indication at all on that page that I would be subscribing too "really high quality photography content twice a week (reviews, articles, videos)" Why, when I click on legal information, is there no legal information?

my intention is simple: to provide really high quality photography content every two weeks (reviews, articles, videos)

- -

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 23, 2014 04:17 |  #82

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16629034 (external link)

...what part of "What do you plan to do with the emails you are harvesting?" are you struggling to understand?

If I were send you my email, would I get the newsletter that Levina got? Because there is no indication at all that I would have been signing up for a bi-weekly newsletter.

In the context of the advice you are giving: would "giving stuff away in exchange for email addresses so you can send out newsletters" part of what you would call a successful marketing strategy for photographers?

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,672 posts
Gallery: 330 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 23, 2014 04:50 |  #83

banquetbear wrote in post #16629043 (external link)
If I were send you my email, would I get the newsletter that Levina got? Because there is no indication at all that I would have been signing up for a bi-weekly newsletter.

This is my complaint. I gave my email address but never signed up for a newsletter. There was no indication of it anywhere. Now to me unsolicited mail is spam and it's bad for any business doing it, which is kind of ironic, given the subject of this thread.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 23, 2014 06:07 |  #84

Hang on.... so first off you spent a lot of time creating this post for the benefit of POTN...

then in became...

It is an excerpt from a book you've already written...

and now it is...

Not your content, your stuff, your anything...

You change your story more times than a 419 scammer...
Not only that but you deliberately avoid straight forward simple questions in the same way too...
And you're sending out unsolicited spam...

What next? Your great Aunt died but the govt took the money and you need our bank account details to help rescue her millions?

Here are three essential tips of marketing for you

1) Know your own story... if you can't write it down at least so you don't change it every 5 minutes.
2) Collecting emails in order to send unsolicited spam is not only unethical it is illegal in several countries.
3) When you deliberately avoid straight forward questions you put yourself on a par with politicians... and no one trusts them.

Peter

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,452 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined May 2007

Jan 23, 2014 06:11 |  #85

Thanks for posting this information Graham.

Marketing is one area that I need help in and you've provided some good information.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,234 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 23, 2014 06:35 |  #86

banquetbear wrote in post #16628208 (external link)
The guy wants to make money...

Bad dog! BAD DOG! I mean, what kind of evil is this? What kind of an incredibly selfish monster would want to be successful and make money?

Sheesh! Doesn't he know it's a different world nowadays? We should all be holding hands, singing Kumbaya together. Doesn't he know the new mantra is to share the wealth?

Wants to be successful? Wants to make money?

The arrogance!

Bad dog. BAD DOG!

Website (external link) |

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 23, 2014 08:56 |  #87

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16628864 (external link)
Thanks! They aren't really my methods, I don't take credit for the stuff here. Much of it came from Eugene Schwartz (external link), Clyde C. Hopkins (external link) and David Ogilvy (external link).

Here is a link to Shwartz's book. (external link)

Interesting stuff.

Now, back to the debate on the definition of "free" and "trolling".

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,651 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 23, 2014 12:14 |  #88

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16628882 (external link)
I have this thing where if I give away something for free that should cost money I ask people for their email addresses rather than their money.

But I have a proposition: next time I give something away for free that should cost money just send me an email and you can pay instead of giving me your email address.

What a high-handed response that is! Whether a product "should" cost money can't be decided by the seller alone. The buyer has a choice: to buy or not, and at what price the purchase would be worthwhile. That's how transactions go in a capitalist economy.

It sounds as if Levina would choose not to subscribe to your newsletter were she free of constraints. Therefore, the amount of money that the newsletter is worth to Levina is $0. It isn't up to you to decide that you have saved Levina money by giving her a free subscription; she wouldn't have spent that money on her own. It also isn't up to you to take her e-mail address for your own purposes as a substitute for this imaginary money that you think she saved. She didn't agree to sell you that information.

Levina doesn't owe you anything.

I suggest that you remove Levina's address from your list. An unsolicited newsletter should have an unsubscribe option anyway. I can't predict what the POTN moderators will do, but I've noticed that they don't look kindly on members' attempts to engage other members in involuntary transactions.

As for "just send me an email and you can pay instead of giving me your email address," I see the paradox there, do you?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 12:30 |  #89

banquetbear wrote in post #16629043 (external link)
...what part of "What do you plan to do with the emails you are harvesting?" are you struggling to understand?

In the context of the advice you are giving: would "giving stuff away in exchange for email addresses so you can send out newsletters" part of what you would call a successful marketing strategy for photographers?

yes.

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 12:31 |  #90

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #16629073 (external link)
This is my complaint. I gave my email address but never signed up for a newsletter. There was no indication of it anywhere. Now to me unsolicited mail is spam and it's bad for any business doing it, which is kind of ironic, given the subject of this thread.

click unsubscribe.

- -

sponsored links

14,975 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.