Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS

this thread is locked
grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 12:31 |  #91

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16629163 (external link)
Hang on.... so first off you spent a lot of time creating this post for the benefit of POTN...

then in became...

It is an excerpt from a book you've already written...

and now it is...

Not your content, your stuff, your anything...

You change your story more times than a 419 scammer...
Not only that but you deliberately avoid straight forward simple questions in the same way too...
And you're sending out unsolicited spam...

What next? Your great Aunt died but the govt took the money and you need our bank account details to help rescue her millions?

Here are three essential tips of marketing for you

1) Know your own story... if you can't write it down at least so you don't change it every 5 minutes.
2) Collecting emails in order to send unsolicited spam is not only unethical it is illegal in several countries.
3) When you deliberately avoid straight forward questions you put yourself on a par with politicians... and no one trusts them.

no.

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 12:33 |  #92

jecottrell wrote in post #16629506 (external link)
Here is a link to Shwartz's book. (external link)

Interesting stuff.

Now, back to the debate on the definition of "free" and "trolling".

Nice! Good link for anyone interested in learning more about the Ansel Adams of marketing.

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 12:34 |  #93

Naturalist wrote in post #16629170 (external link)
Thanks for posting this information Graham.

Marketing is one area that I need help in and you've provided some good information.

Thanks! I'm glad you could find it useful.

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 12:34 |  #94

OhLook wrote in post #16630037 (external link)
What a high-handed response that is! Whether a product "should" cost money can't be decided by the seller alone. The buyer has a choice: to buy or not, and at what price the purchase would be worthwhile. That's how transactions go in a capitalist economy.

It sounds as if Levina would choose not to subscribe to your newsletter were she free of constraints. Therefore, the amount of money that the newsletter is worth to Levina is $0. It isn't up to you to decide that you have saved Levina money by giving her a free subscription; she wouldn't have spent that money on her own. It also isn't up to you to take her e-mail address for your own purposes as a substitute for this imaginary money that you think she saved. She didn't agree to sell you that information.

Levina doesn't owe you anything.

I suggest that you remove Levina's address from your list. An unsolicited newsletter should have an unsubscribe option anyway. I can't predict what the POTN moderators will do, but I've noticed that they don't look kindly on members' attempts to engage other members in involuntary transactions.

As for "just send me an email and you can pay instead of giving me your email address," I see the paradox there, do you?

There's an unsubscribe button.

- -

BlessedShots
387 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 23, 2014 12:37 |  #95

bw!

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #16629204 (external link)
Bad dog! BAD DOG! I mean, what kind of evil is this? What kind of an incredibly selfish monster would want to be successful and make money?

Sheesh! Doesn't he know it's a different world nowadays? We should all be holding hands, singing Kumbaya together. Doesn't he know the new mantra is to share the wealth?

Wants to be successful? Wants to make money?

The arrogance!

Bad dog. BAD DOG!

5DII Gripped // 7D Gripped // 17-40 L // 50 1.8 (happily sold 1.4) // AB400 // 2x YN 560EXII's // + Motivation

BlessedShots
387 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2013

Jan 23, 2014 13:11 |  #96

I mean no disrespect to anyone here as photography is what we all have in common and everyone on here is fairly talented. I find myself agreeing with both sides to some degree. The only thing sticking out now, is its obvious you guys now went from making sure Graham checks out, to having a personal agenda to destroy Grahams credibility.
I understand the pressure your putting on him, and if he was a fake or fly by night, he would just have left by now or moved on. But he's here and still answering and providing value to more people than not, so it seems like you guys might be more of a problem to this thread.

As far as Levina, (great photos by the way) so the guy put you on a email marketing list. I know, I know, annoying, intrusive, but Big deal, that's actually a great marketing habit to have and I put everyone on my email list to update them with my photos as well if I have the opportunity. Its a free resource. Its at MOST annoying. if you don't like it mark it as spam. But the fact is he gave you something for free. If someone gives me something for free, and puts me on an email list, I STILL consider it free, because I could easily spam it. The only cost it's putting on you is your attention and energy dwelling on it. Remember from business 101, the best deal is when both parties feel they received something of value as well as lost equally lost something. I'm sure his free item he gave you was worth more value then having your single email address. And it sounds like he is going to continue to update you with a newsletter pertaining to photography (not car mechanics) which is YOUR Hobby anyways.

5DII Gripped // 7D Gripped // 17-40 L // 50 1.8 (happily sold 1.4) // AB400 // 2x YN 560EXII's // + Motivation

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 23, 2014 13:17 |  #97
bannedPermanent ban

Pure envy that some people here are seething with.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 23, 2014 13:22 |  #98

BlessedShots wrote in post #16630202 (external link)
But he's here and still answering and providing value to more people than not, so it seems like you guys might be more of a problem to this thread..

If you will notice, the answers he has given are generic in nature, basic marketing to be honest, and when asked specific questions, has failed to answer them, or it's "lets talk offline". It's how he has changed his story thoughout this thread when pressured, that has for better or worse, raised the hairs on some of our necks. If you want to push a book or a newsletter etc...say so in your first post...let everyone know upfront what you are doing..is that to much to ask?

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 13:56 |  #99

digirebelva wrote in post #16630235 (external link)
If you will notice, the answers he has given are generic in nature, basic marketing to be honest, and when asked specific questions, has failed to answer them, or it's "lets talk offline". It's how he has changed his story thoughout this thread when pressured, that has for better or worse, raised the hairs on some of our necks. If you want to push a book or a newsletter etc...say so in your first post...let everyone know upfront what you are doing..is that to much to ask?

I'm not an expert in anything, just a student.

- -

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 23, 2014 14:01 |  #100

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16630320 (external link)
I'm not an expert in anything, just a student.

As we all are, regardless of how long you have been shooting...;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 14:02 |  #101

digirebelva wrote in post #16630235 (external link)

This is a marketing thread and the stuff I've put here is pretty basic (I agree) it would be great to learn a few things about advanced marketing. Do share if you are willing! : )

- -

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,651 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 23, 2014 14:09 |  #102

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16630110 (external link)
There's an unsubscribe button.

I'm glad to hear that. It solves the immediate problem. But I still disagree with the idea that giving something away obligates the recipient to do something in return and, specifically, that it obligates the recipient to do something the giver decides would make an even exchange.

Some charities include a coin in a mailed appeal for donations. They want you to feel indebted because you got a gift. In this household, that doesn't work. I don't donate to people who try to make me feel guilty.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 14:10 |  #103

OhLook wrote in post #16630361 (external link)
I'm glad to hear that. It solves the immediate problem. But I still disagree with the idea that giving something away obligates the recipient to do something in return and, specifically, that it obligates the recipient to do something the giver decides would make an even exchange.

Some charities include a coin in a mailed appeal for donations. They want you to feel indebted because you got a gift. In this household, that doesn't work. I don't donate to people who try to make me feel guilty.

Great photography content is the end goal here, sorry if you're interpreting that in any other way.

At least I provide a very obvious unsubscribe button right?

- -

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 23, 2014 14:13 |  #104
bannedPermanent ban

And any E-mail client has filtering capabilities.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 23, 2014 14:25 |  #105

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16630343 (external link)
This is a marketing thread and the stuff I've put here is pretty basic (I agree) it would be great to learn a few things about advanced marketing. Do share if you are willing! : )

Graham, I'm not the one who tried to come across as something of an expert in the beginning with snipits of marketing info, and how that knowledge had increased your image sales etc., and then bam...all specifics when right out the window when the questions got more direct..that's where this thread came off the tracks. :(

So, you say this is a marketing thread, that YOU started, then you can (a) either dispense some actual direct knowledge to the direct questions that have been asked, (b) tell folks that the answers are in your book (if they are) or (c) have the mods close this thread, cause this isnt going anywhere fast...

sponsored links

14,977 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.