Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 03:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can I use same filter for Canon 17-40mm and Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 (non IS/IS II)

5D3ismydream
160 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 23, 2014 03:24 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Can I use same filter for Canon 17-40mm and a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 (non IS/IS II). Now I'm having Canon 17-40mm and in future I may purchase a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 (non IS/IS II). I will lost many money when buy 2 filters for two lenses. So, can I use same filter (probably I may buy a used B&W 77mm filter) for Canon 17-40mm and Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 (non IS/IS II)?

sponsored links
kawi_200
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 23, 2014 03:26 |  #2

Yes, it will work on both. The filter thread size is 77mm. Make sure you buy a 77mm filter.

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

5D3ismydream
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 23, 2014 03:35 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Does the 110USD B & W 77mm filter (about 75-90USD used) degrade image quality?

graham121
Goldmember
1,364 posts
Gallery: 112 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 23, 2014 03:50 as a reply to  @ 5D3ismydream's post |  #4

Maybe have a look at this https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1087224 which shows a comparison of a number of different 77mm filters or even this https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=807555 which is a sticky at the top of this forum that also explains filters and their impact on quality.

ANY extra piece of glass between what you are taking an image of and what you are recording that image has the potential to degrade image quality by varying degrees depending upon a whole range of conditions.

The question is whether or not it is noticeable to your eyes.

If you are really concerned about damaging your front elements it could be false economy to share one filter over two lenses as every time you change lens you will be changing filter...adding to the danger of damaging one of the lenses in the process.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

5D3ismydream
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 23, 2014 22:10 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

graham121 wrote in post #16629018 (external link)
Maybe have a look at this https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1087224 which shows a comparison of a number of different 77mm filters or even this https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=807555 which is a sticky at the top of this forum that also explains filters and their impact on quality.

ANY extra piece of glass between what you are taking an image of and what you are recording that image has the potential to degrade image quality by varying degrees depending upon a whole range of conditions.

The question is whether or not it is noticeable to your eyes.

If you are really concerned about damaging your front elements it could be false economy to share one filter over two lenses as every time you change lens you will be changing filter...adding to the danger of damaging one of the lenses in the process.

Thank

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Jan 24, 2014 10:50 |  #6

Also keep in mind to minimize vignetting on your 17-40, so buying a thin filter will be most senseful.

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links

865 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can I use same filter for Canon 17-40mm and Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 (non IS/IS II)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.