Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS

this thread is locked
Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 23, 2014 20:24 |  #121
bannedPermanent ban

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #16631316 (external link)
Wow...

Unsubscribing from the thread.

Should never have joined in the first place!

Dave

sponsored links
OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,651 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 23, 2014 22:11 |  #122

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16631223 (external link)
Let's try that again:

- This is a marketing for photographers thread that lives under 'The Business of Photography' category of POTN.

That statement isn't "trying it again." The issues I raised remain unanswered.

Again, why did you say "Great photography content is the end goal here" if your posts and your other products are about sales rather than the content of photos? What did you mean by "great photography content"?

Again, why do you think that giving something away entitles you to get something? Can you rebut what Levina said: "Making people pay a price for a download without telling them upfront is wrong. You really do need to rethink this"?

That's what trying it again is.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 23, 2014 22:15 |  #123

OhLook wrote in post #16631608 (external link)
Again, why did you say "Great photography content is the end goal here" if your posts and your other products are about sales rather than the content of photos? What did you mean by "great photography content"?

He was referring to his newsletter, when questioned about what he needs the emails for. He wants to email people photography content, like reviews, articles etc.

You having fun interrogating the poor dude? :rolleyes: hes so evil isnt he? surprised hes still dealing with this nonsense

...and if no one is holding a gun to your head to enter your email why make such a big deal about it? geez hes not "making people" do anything...

@graham: just clean up the newsletter page a bit so people know exactly whats going to happen by entering the email so you wont be the villain

OhLook
19,651 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 23, 2014 22:46 |  #124

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16631621 (external link)
He was referring to his newsletter, when questioned about what he needs the emails for. He wants to email people photography content, like reviews, articles etc.

I don't think what he was referring to is clear. "The end goal" of what?

You having fun interrogating the poor dude? :rolleyes: hes so evil isnt he? surprised hes still dealing with this nonsense

He isn't dealing with it. When someone posts a challenging question or a complaint, he evades it. Sometimes he attacks the questioner, as when he tells one person or another to stop trolling. These behaviors won't win readers' trust, either on POTN or in his business enterprise. If I repeat a question that he didn't answer the first time, it lets him know that I noticed I didn't get an answer, I saw that he said some words that didn't amount to an answer. It also lets bystanders know.

Are you having fun interrogating me? You have an opinion about what's proper to post in a thread and what isn't. I have an opinion that something's wrong here. I'm as free to post my opinion as you are to post yours.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 23, 2014 22:52 |  #125

OhLook wrote in post #16631700 (external link)
Are you having fun interrogating me? You have an opinion about what's proper to post in a thread and what isn't. I have an opinion that something's wrong here. I'm as free to post my opinion as you are to post yours.

I asked you one question, thats not interrogating you :lol:

You must have a happy life on your high horse :lol:

OhLook
19,651 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 23, 2014 23:16 |  #126

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16631714 (external link)
I asked you one question, thats not interrogating you :lol:

You must have a happy life on your high horse :lol:

I count more than one question and more than one post.

I'm not the only one with doubts about Scott's marketing tactics. Levina and banquetbear also came out against his principle of being entitled to something in exchange for a gift. So why am I getting so much of your attention? Hey, spread the credit around!

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 23, 2014 23:17 |  #127

Oooh two whole questions what an interrogation. I should pull out the water torture next :lol:

Do you need a hug or something? Not that im volunteering but I think maybe you'd benefit a bit from some TLC :lol:

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 23:24 |  #128

OhLook wrote in post #16631608 (external link)
That statement isn't "trying it again." The issues I raised remain unanswered.

Again, why do you think that giving something away entitles you to get something? Can you rebut what Levina said: "Making people pay a price for a download without telling them upfront is wrong. You really do need to rethink this"?

That's what trying it again is.

The newsletter I write is all about great content. Not sure how you're getting confused on this one...

Let's circle back to the point of this thread, which is all about marketing tactics for photographers.

Did you see my post, the one that this whole thread is about?

Which specific one do you not understand? Which one do you question as being valid or effective?

Graham

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,583 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 23, 2014 23:36 |  #129

I add peoples emails to my Constant Contact list every day in order to grow my monthly newsletter reach (non-photography). The is an unsubscribe button on it as well. People that emailed me are interested in my services or else they would not have contacted me. I in turn add them to the list... which they can easily be removed from in one click. I do not find this intrusive. It happens to me all the time. Out of every 10 I add I get about 2 unsubscribes. I think thats progress. Just my opinion. You may think otherwise, and that's your opinion as well. Can we agree to disagree and go from there?

POTN has really gotten to be about pissing matches and ego trips. It's sad. I came here to learn about photography... not to hear a bunch of internet warrior trade jabs from afar. :(

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 23, 2014 23:37 |  #130

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #16631807 (external link)
I add peoples emails to my Constant Contact list every day in order to grow my monthly newsletter reach (non-photography). The is an unsubscribe button on it as well. People that emailed me are interested in my services or else they would not have contacted me. I in turn add them to the list... which they can easily be removed from in one click. I do not find this intrusive. It happens to me all the time. Out of every 10 I add I get about 2 unsubscribes. I think thats progress. Just my opinion. You may think otherwise, and that's your opinion as well. Can we agree to disagree and go from there?

POTN has really gotten to be about pissing matches and ego trips. It's sad. I came here to learn about photography... not to hear a bunch of internet warrior trade jabs from afar. :(

Nice! Constant Contact is good for that. I use Aweber, which doesn't allow me to add. The users have to add themselves, making it even more difficult to build a list of interested photographers! :|

What's your newsletter link?

- -

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 23, 2014 23:49 |  #131

OhLook wrote in post #16631774 (external link)
I count more than one question and more than one post.

I'm not the only one with doubts about Scott's marketing tactics. Levina and banquetbear also came out against his principle of being entitled to something in exchange for a gift. So why am I getting so much of your attention? Hey, spread the credit around!

...just ignore thedcmule2 and Bakewell: they are just posting to get a reaction: they don't really care about "negativity" or the well being of the OP. I'm sure if the OP is old enough to run a business and to sell books he is old enough and big enough to be able to answer a few questions.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 24, 2014 00:00 |  #132

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16631830 (external link)
Provide straight questions and get straight answers.

People have... you haven't

Peter

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 24, 2014 00:03 |  #133

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16631842 (external link)
People have... you haven't

You've gone against the proven techniques of proven marketing.

It's hard to speak with someone who knows nothing of what they're talking about... :|

So let's circle around here and discuss the tactics you find to not work. Which specific marketing tactics in the original post do you find ineffective?

- -

OhLook
19,651 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 24, 2014 00:10 |  #134

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16631785 (external link)
Not sure how you're getting confused on this one...

Which specific one do you not understand? Which one do you question as being valid or effective?

I see. Framing the problem as my being confused or my not understanding something makes me the one who has something to answer for, right? But that move is so transparent!

The following is what I question as being valid. In fact, I believe that the way you think about giveaways is absolutely invalid.

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16628882 (external link)
I have this thing where if I give away something for free that should cost money I ask people for their email addresses rather than their money.

But I have a proposition: next time I give something away for free that should cost money just send me an email and you can pay instead of giving me your email address.

I'll explain my objection again. In a genuine exchange, both parties are aware, from the beginning, of what is being traded for what. You lead someone to think a product is free, but you have a price secretly in mind. The other person didn't agree to this price and didn't even know about it. You decided all by yourself that what you gave "should" cost money. Then you extract something else from the person as a substitute for the money. You knew the terms of the transaction all along, but the other person didn't know and thus had no chance to decide whether the transaction would be worthwhile. Please tell how this is not fraudulent. Also tell why it makes sense for a person who doesn't want you to have her e-mail address to send you an e-mail.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 24, 2014 00:11 |  #135

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16631845 (external link)
So let's circle around here and discuss the tactics you find to not work. Which specific marketing tactics in the original post do you find ineffective?

...I'm glad you bought it back to this: because this is the very question that we have been asking you. We've asked for metrics and proof that the marketing tactics in the original post were effective: you have provided none, in fact, you have insisted that you don't need to provide proof of anything. So I would say the absence of evidence is a good reason to say that the information in the OP may be ineffective.

Ignoring your failure to provide any evidence: you've provided a few pricing strategies, not marketing strategies. How does providing a range of prices get your product into the eyes of potential buyers?

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

sponsored links

14,963 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.