Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS

this thread is locked
grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 24, 2014 00:11 |  #136

OhLook wrote in post #16631856 (external link)
I see. Framing the problem as my being confused or my not understanding something makes me the one who has something to answer for, right? But that move is so transparent!

The following is what I question as being valid. In fact, I believe that the way you think about giveaways is absolutely invalid.

I'll explain my objection again. In a genuine exchange, both parties are aware, from the beginning, of what is being traded for what. You lead someone to think a product is free, but you have a price secretly in mind. The other person didn't agree to this price and didn't even know about it. You decided all by yourself that what you gave "should" cost money. Then you extract something else from the person as a substitute for the money. You knew the terms of the transaction all along, but the other person didn't know and thus had no chance to decide whether the transaction would be worthwhile. Please tell how this is not fraudulent. Also tell why it makes sense for a person who doesn't want you to have her e-mail address to send you an e-mail.

Focus ... original post content...

Which specific marketing tactic lacks a solid foundation? Which wouldn't work? Which one does human psychology invalidate?

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 24, 2014 00:13 |  #137

banquetbear wrote in post #16631859 (external link)
...I'm glad you bought it back to this: because this is the very question that we have been asking you. We've asked for metrics and proof that the marketing tactics in the original post were effective: you have provided none, in fact, you have insisted that you don't need to provide proof of anything. So I would say the absence of evidence is a good reason to say that the information in the OP may be ineffective.

Ignoring your failure to provide any evidence: you've provided a few pricing strategies, not marketing strategies. How does providing a range of prices get your product into the eyes of potential buyers?

Just so I understand, you're not critically thinking about the marketing tactics, and instead you refuse to look at them until I provide evidence that suits your guitar wielding?

Got it, so let's re-focus your attention away from that and instead on what matters: the original post content. Go ahead and go back and read it, if you haven't already.

Let's get down to the heart of the matter here instead of going back and forth. It seems like your favorite thing to do so far :)

- -

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 24, 2014 00:14 |  #138

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16631861 (external link)

Which specific marketing tactic lacks a solid foundation? Which wouldn't work? Which one does human psychology invalidate?

...you don't own this thread: and if people want to discuss something outside of the constraints of the OP they are entitled to.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 24, 2014 00:15 |  #139

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16631865 (external link)
Just so I understand, you're not critically thinking about the marketing tactics, and instead you refuse to look at them until I provide evidence that suits your guitar wielding?

Got it, so let's re-focus your attention away from that and instead on what matters: the original post content. Go ahead and go back and read it, if you haven't already.

Let's get down to the heart of the matter here instead of going back and forth. It seems like your favorite thing to do so far :)

...I'm discussing the original post content. What the heck are you talking about?

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 24, 2014 00:15 |  #140

banquetbear wrote in post #16631869 (external link)
...you don't own this thread: and if people want to discuss something outside of the constraints of the OP they are entitled to.

Focus your attention here, just for a few seconds and then we can get back to how the world apparently sucks.

Which marketing tactics in particular do you not find effective?

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 24, 2014 00:17 |  #141

banquetbear wrote in post #16631872 (external link)
...I'm discussing the original post content. What the heck are you talking about?

You're asking me to prove that it works. I did by showing you the quantity and income earned as a result of a few simple tactics. Then you spiral out of control on that.

So let's re-focus on the three tactics. Let's break it down so it's ultra-simple: Which marketing tactic do you disagree with? #1? #2? #3?

- -

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,651 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 24, 2014 00:19 |  #142

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16631861 (external link)

There's that evasiveness again. I'm not talking about the effectiveness of marketing tactics described in your original post. I'm talking about the ethics of feeling entitled to get paid for something that you advertise as free.

You don't get to control both sides of a conversation.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 24, 2014 00:21 |  #143

OhLook wrote in post #16631882 (external link)
There's that evasiveness again. I'm not talking about the effectiveness of marketing tactics described in your original post. I'm talking about the ethics of feeling entitled to get paid for something that you advertise as free.

No, I get to control one side of it. The side that this post is all about.

Ethical dilemma regarding capturing email addresses with the intention of providing real and valuable photography content? I'd rather let you chase the ball around on that one for a few hours.

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 24, 2014 00:22 |  #144

OhLook wrote in post #16631882 (external link)

Oh, you're in the SF bay area? Join a meetup sometime and we can talk marketing in person: http://www.meetup.com/​Landscape-Photography-SF/ (external link)

- -

OhLook
19,651 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 24, 2014 00:28 |  #145

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16631883 (external link)
No, I get to control one side of it. The side that this post is all about.

Ethical dilemma regarding capturing email addresses with the intention of providing real and valuable photography content? I'd rather let you chase the ball around on that one for a few hours.

So your motivation for holding onto addresses is purely unselfish? You do it because you want to perform the service of providing these people with valuable content? But wait, that helps them if it helps anyone. If it doesn't help you, how can it possibly function as the equivalent of the money that the initial free download "should" (in your judgment) have cost? That money would have come to you, not gone to them.

It shouldn't be necessary to add that I can't accept your explanation. If you have a logical one to offer instead, let's hear it.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

OhLook
19,651 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 24, 2014 00:30 |  #146

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16631885 (external link)
Oh, you're in the SF bay area? Join a meetup sometime and we can talk marketing in person

:rolleyes:

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 24, 2014 00:37 |  #147

OhLook wrote in post #16631892 (external link)
So your motivation for holding onto addresses is purely unselfish? You do it because you want to perform the service of providing these people with valuable content? But wait, that helps them if it helps anyone. If it doesn't help you, how can it possibly function as the equivalent of the money that the initial free download "should" (in your judgment) have cost? That money would have come to you, not gone to them.

It shouldn't be necessary to add that I can't accept your explanation. If you have a logical one to offer instead, let's hear it.

Consider this: I have never sold anyone on my list anything, ever. Compute that and your process crashes.

Yes, completely unselfish. Just like how I created a not-for-profit landscape photography community in San Francisco (external link) as well as why I donate 100% of my profits from affiliate commissions (external link) (with which there's quite a bit) to World Wildlife Fund (external link). Is that unusual?

- -

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,234 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 24, 2014 06:32 |  #148

How boring. So many envious people, even to the point of angry resentment toward someone who is willing to work hard and face diversity to be successful.

On that one point alone, the fact he has continued with it and stood his ground makes his star outshine those of all others combined.

Perhaps those who obsessively sit in forums all day long and when not, obsessively think about their forum engagements and what they will say next, could utilize their time more productively doing something such as learning to be better photographers.

This thread has completely abandoned topic and digressed into pure, blind hate and vitriol.

Nothing to see here, no knowledge to glean here. Move along, Dan.

Website (external link) |

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 24, 2014 08:09 |  #149

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #16632241 (external link)
How boring. So many envious people, even to the point of angry resentment toward someone who is willing to work hard and face diversity to be successful.

I don't know what people are supposed to be envious of. The guy can't answer straight forward questions, claims content to took him ages to put together then back tracks and owns up to none of it being his and spams people.

Pure, blind hate? Don't make me laugh what complete and utter garbage... Challenging someone over their assertions then repeating the same challenges when they are deliberately and systemically sidestepped at every turn.

Peter

sponsored links

15,008 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 ESSENTIAL MARKETING TACTICS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.