Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 05:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much is placebo?

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 24, 2014 11:06 as a reply to  @ post 16632823 |  #76

One thing that I think is over looked all too often is where the images will end up. I am sure many professional photographers print large images, but there is a large group of hobbyists out there that only view them on computer screens or print 8x10 or smaller. So when everyone says "I can clearly see the differences at 100%", it is a moot point for many photographers who buy the gear. Professionals who do print large should very much care, but for a large portion of the people that only post online, that is definitely where the placebo effect comes in. They see those people who NEED the very best, and then zoom in to 100% to test sharpness, and then output the image to 1024x768 for web viewing.

Andrew | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 24, 2014 11:08 as a reply to  @ post 16632799 |  #77

I have always noticed differences in different camera gear with IQ and user experience. I do think that this web sight helps encourage GAS when training videos, books and workshops would be a faster way to get to good images than the most expensive lens you can find.

One thing that is easy to forget when looking at L glass threads is that there are many professional photographers with lots of knowledge and experience posting those images. Not to say that a skilled person can not get as good or better images with non L glass but many times there are less long term pros posting in the non L threads.

There are reasons that one might like cheaper gear over more expensive gear if it suits their style better etc. For instance some lenses might have great corner to corner sharpness and less distortion but if you are a portrait photographer would you care, probably not you might rather have a lens that has a lower f-stop and creamier bokeh.

Ruggo
106 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 24, 2014 12:44 |  #78

Good read. Oft quoted "You don't need expensive gear to take great photo's"
Then mention the word Tripods. This is the one that does my head in. Let the fur fly.

EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 24, 2014 14:05 |  #79
bannedPermanent ban

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #16632336 (external link)
When I said some pics were in my OPINION kind of soft one guy decided to go through my flickr page to get some of my pics and basically say they were as soft as the ones I commented on. Some have a hard time dealing with opinions guess its human nature.

I find it quite odd that you blast someone for having a negative reaction to being told their photos are soft. Then you proceed to have a negative reaction because someone told you that your photos soft. Perhaps it is best to reserve criticism for those occasions where it requested.

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 24, 2014 14:40 |  #80

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #16632336 (external link)
When I said some pics were in my OPINION kind of soft one guy decided to go through my flickr page to get some of my pics and basically say they were as soft as the ones I commented on. Some have a hard time dealing with opinions guess its human nature.

So who cares? Somebody said something bad about your photography. Was it constructive that you could learn something from it? If not, just ignore. It is the nature of the Internet.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

l89kip
582 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 24, 2014 15:14 |  #81

I come here to learn and enjoy. Sometime we express our opinions. If we differ, then be it. It's not worth of being too serious.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 24, 2014 15:33 |  #82
bannedPermanent ban

Lbsimon wrote in post #16633493 (external link)
So who cares? Somebody said something bad about your photography. Was it constructive that you could learn something from it? If not, just ignore. It is the nature of the Internet.

I find it quite odd that you blast someone for having a negative reaction to being told their photos are soft. Then you proceed to have a negative reaction because someone told you that your photos soft. Perhaps it is best to reserve criticism for those occasions where it requested.

I ignored it, but my photography was not what was discussed in the thread and I commented about the softness of those pics because it happens THAT was the discussion's main argument, nothing odd about that , dont you think? There was nothing constructive about the "critique". I mentioned it here as an example of the reactions some people have when this placebo effect is taking place.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 24, 2014 15:51 |  #83

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16631024 (external link)
I tend to see just the opposite: people who maybe can't afford to shell out for those subtle differences so they try to convince themselves those differences don't exist. Which is different from the people who maybe can't see the utility in the added expenditure but acknowledge the differences.

This is also true, but on the low end it is in the perception realm. In the factual technological realm, once something gets really good, small improvements start costing big dollars, think titanium, carbon fiber, gold plated connectors, special treated lens glass etc.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,095 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 25, 2014 08:13 |  #84

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16631024 (external link)
I tend to see just the opposite: people who maybe can't afford to shell out for those subtle differences so they try to convince themselves those differences don't exist. Which is different from the people who maybe can't see the utility in the added expenditure but acknowledge the differences.

It goes both ways. Ownership bias contributes a lot to the perception of a lens or camera.

People here feel the need to defend the rationale behind their purchases.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 25, 2014 08:36 |  #85

mystik610 wrote in post #16635381 (external link)
It goes both ways. Ownership bias contributes a lot to the perception of a lens or camera.

People here feel the need to defend the rationale behind their purchases.

We also get a feel for how to use gear we own ... and make it work in ways we like. As we understand its positives we work toward that ability, and the negatives we work around.

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 25, 2014 11:08 |  #86

1. You can always take crappy pictures with excellent and expensive equipment.
2. The camera state of technology is such that a point that entry level dslr's have amazing sensors.
3. a single image never tells the story. a sub 300 eosM and kit lens, in many times is as good of a tool as a 20x more expensive 1dx and 24-105. If you are not pushing the instument to its limit, (an many times you dont have to) there may not be any difference.
4. The advantage of 'better" or more expensive equipment is not simply measured at pixel level of single images. It is also measure in AF consistancy, accuracy and speed, equipment reliability and dependability, etc.
5. There is definitely some placebo effect.

In my experience, the single biggest improvement that I saw in my images, was going from a 40d to 5d. I did not note as much going then to 5d2, and hardly any going to 5d3. I do get more images infocus when I use off center.

I make a video of my family, taking my favorite images of the year, and the end of the year. This is a "blind" process, since I dont look at the exif when I pick the images. my 85 1.2II is always over represented (b/c I like that look), and my sony 16-50 pz on nex is under represented (It does well for video). My nex system in general is under represented, given number of images I take with it, I just have more wow images with my 5d3 set up, but I still get plenty with my NEX.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 25, 2014 13:54 |  #87

kevindar wrote in post #16635741 (external link)
In my experience, the single biggest improvement that I saw in my images, was going from a 40d to 5d. I did not note as much going then to 5d2, and hardly any going to 5d3. I do get more images infocus when I use off center.

bw!

All very well said.
Bottom line: "It is not tools. Its the photographer" admit it or not!

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Jan 26, 2014 06:48 |  #88

samsen wrote in post #16636097 (external link)
bw!

All very well said.
Bottom line: "It is not tools. Its the photographer" admit it or not!

While theres so much truth in your bottom line i have to say, it is not 100% true.

For example: when i take my 50L along with my 6D and shoot in low light, sometimes the high ISO of the 6D is required, even at f/1.2. some shot would be missed if i'd used a P&S or a crop sensor body. Sure it is me taking the picture but for my style of photography i need the high ISO and wouldve missed many shots without it...

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 26, 2014 07:01 |  #89

davidfarina wrote in post #16637662 (external link)
While theres so much truth in your bottom line i have to say, it is not 100% true.

For example: when i take my 50L along with my 6D and shoot in low light, sometimes the high ISO of the 6D is required, even at f/1.2. some shot would be missed if i'd used a P&S or a crop sensor body. Sure it is me taking the picture but for my style of photography i need the high ISO and wouldve missed many shots without it...

I agree.

It drives me nuts how people on here are so strongly stuck in their "gear doesn't matter, it's the photographer" beliefs.

if you say being a good photographer is more important than gear, sure, but saying gear DOESN'T matter is just silly. There is a point when gear upgrades are so marginal that you can argue this, but until I see professional photographers walking around with rebels and kit lenses I'll feel pretty confident that gear is helpful.

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 26, 2014 08:47 |  #90

We don't have to come down here in one camp or the other - it need not be quite so black and white. :)

Sometimes the gear matters, sometimes it doesn't. We can always describe a scene that will push one camera or lens into or out of its technical abilities. We can also describe a scene where almost any DSLR will create a great image. As soon as you confine yourself to the belief that you need the top shelf, best and newest technology no matter what you do, your wallet will suffer continuously.

It makes more sense to decide what kind of images or style you want to capture, and buy gear that will capture it. But not every one must buy every piece of gear available to shoot successfully.

For example: If you confine yourself to outdoor shoots, you need no lights (a fill type flash maybe) but no huge expensive light setup with umbrellas and that whole package.

Can we say a pro or even an amateur may shoot a really great, high IQ, nearly perfect shot with a 20D and a 28/135 ... sure we can, and s/he can probably shoot one on a regular basis and develop a solid business out of that set up. But does that limit the potential for a lot more work. Absolutely. But it doesn't make or break the 'label' professional ... nor make or break the ability to earn a living.

Are there some shots the 20D 28/135 can't create - yes, of course. But I'm betting there are photographers out there that can capture higher quality images with that 20D 24/135 setup that another one can't get with a 5DM3 and a 24/105 or a 70/200 no matter how many times that button clicks.

So, is gear important - yes and no, but not always. :) :) :)

sponsored links

10,649 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much is placebo?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.