Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Jan 2014 (Monday) 14:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scott Kelby Explains Why He Switched to Canon

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 24, 2014 13:23 |  #256

jdizzle wrote in post #16633209 (external link)
Yup. The D800E is close but, no cigar. ;)

Neither close nor a cigar. Those medium format cameras like the Leica S are 16 bit.

I use a Kodak Brownie

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 24, 2014 13:34 |  #257
bannedPermanent ban

Jon_Doh wrote in post #16633272 (external link)
Neither close nor a cigar. Those medium format cameras like the Leica S are 16 bit.

What does that mean when printing on a paper or displaying on a screen that cannot hand 16 bit?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 24, 2014 13:42 |  #258

jetcode wrote in post #16633222 (external link)
And if I wear a blind fold the odds of determining the difference approach infinity. A trained eye can tell even among similar product lines although one has to spend a LOT of time to get to that level. Like an engineer at Nikon or Canon for instance. Most people will never notice the subtleties and rightfully so we may be able to lean on their lack of experience to overcome flaws we cannot control like sharpness in the corners, color fidelity, shadow and highlight control, etc.

I think you're seriously missing the point. I don't care how good your eye is, the likelihood that you will be able to tell the differences inherent in the 1Dx, as shot and posted to the web by the guy who founded the National Association of Photoshop Professionals, is highly unlikely. Corner sharpness? Cropping or a slight blur vignette (something they "teach" at Kelby) and that distinction is gone. Color fidelity? If you're not there how do you know? Besides that there is always the colorchecker to profile with. Shadows and highlights? You weren't there so how do you know where the shadows and highlights were? Maybe he chose not to lift the shadows, does that mean he shot with the Canon, or that he just wanted darker shadows?

My point was in response to someone who was looking forward to seeing the differences in the Nikon and Canon by viewing the work Kelby will now be posting. My point was that those differences won't be discernible. Beyond that I don't see Kelby talking about those differences as he now is sponsored by Canon, and lets face it, you don't talk bad about the people who pay you.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 24, 2014 13:53 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #259

Man, this Scott Kelby guy is a genius at marketing. I wonder how much attention this switch has made for him and how that translates into website hits and sales?

It really proves that it takes business and marketing skills to be successful at photography, even if your photography skills are nothing special.

I see better work from many amateurs posting on POTN. :lol:

My 500PX (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,296 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 24, 2014 14:15 |  #260

Wow, maybe I'm just not in on some inside information on Kelby, but I guess I don't understand where the negativity is coming from. I think pretty much everyone agrees that he is really good at PP techniques and that's what his reputation is built on. I went to kelbyone.com to look around and in all his training videos, it doesn't look like Kelby himself teaches any of the photography seminars other than one on "beginning sports photography." Pretty much everything else is taught by other, presumably more accomplished (?) photographers. The only videos that he is teaching are the photoshop ones, which I assume he is really good at. So it's not like he is passing himself off as a world renowned photographer or anything, as far as I can tell.

You've got a guy who has parlayed his skills into a successful enterprise. Isn't this the American way? It's not like he is riding on somebody else's coattails, or is a fraud.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 24, 2014 14:21 |  #261

Scrumhalf wrote in post #16633218 (external link)
Speak for yourself. I can easily tell the difference when I use my special order speaker cables with 6 - 9s purity Australian copper that has been vacuum sealed in a low outgassing photo-degradation proof polymer jacket. Yes, it cost 2 grand for a 6 foot cable but you can't put a price on performance.

Wrong thread. This is Nikon v Canon, not vinyl v CD. :lol:

Tom

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 24, 2014 14:47 |  #262

Scrumhalf wrote in post #16633218 (external link)
Speak for yourself. I can easily tell the difference when I use my special order speaker cables with 6 - 9s purity Australian copper that has been vacuum sealed in a low outgassing photo-degradation proof polymer jacket. Yes, it cost 2 grand for a 6 foot cable but you can't put a price on performance.

http://consumerist.com …d-as-good-monster-cables/ (external link)

Lots of people can't tell.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 24, 2014 15:08 |  #263

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16633512 (external link)
http://consumerist.com …d-as-good-monster-cables/ (external link)

Lots of people can't tell.

I thought he was being sarcastic. :confused:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,296 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 24, 2014 15:50 |  #264

^ What? You mean the compositionally optimized triple core with special braiding to reduce the frequency dispersion due to the skin effect is not important? Lies, lies! And everyone knows that having even just a few atoms short of the Avogadro's number in a molar weight of wire is enough to cause unacceptable jitter, not to mention slew rate issues in the signal!

BTW, sarcasm doesn't travel well, it seems, over special super-duper high bandwidth, low jitter, optical fiber made from special chalcogenide glass mined in Mongolian mines!

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 24, 2014 15:56 |  #265

In the end match components. If you are using cheap audio hardware use cheap audio cables. But if you are dropping some coin on a premium audio system don't use coat hangers. Use the best cables for that configuration. It really matters.

so canon make premium audio systems and nikon make coat hangers????

there are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 24, 2014 15:58 |  #266

sarcasm doesn't travel well, it seems

im getting the sarcasm here in the uk and it sounds hi-fi

there are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 24, 2014 16:00 |  #267

soccersnaps wrote in post #16633707 (external link)
so canon make premium audio systems and nikon make coat hangers????

We're talking about why Scott Kelby is shooting those horrible Canon sensors. ;)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,296 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 24, 2014 16:00 |  #268

Ok, OK... back to Kelby and Canon vs. Nikon. Enough of the audio chatter! :lol:

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 24, 2014 16:01 |  #269

We're talking about why Scott Kelby is shooting those horrible Canon sensors.

sarcasm doesnt work for you then

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 24, 2014 16:06 |  #270

soccersnaps wrote in post #16633722 (external link)
sarcasm doesnt work for you then

The problem is people are sensitive to sarcasm.

Dear Scott,

I hope you make a ton of money shooting Canon.

Love,

Mr. Dark Side :lol:

P.S. We'll always have those cookies you love sooo much!! ;)

sponsored links

38,704 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scott Kelby Explains Why He Switched to Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.