Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Nov 2013 (Thursday) 09:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron developing 150-600mm VC USD lens

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 24, 2014 17:31 |  #2776

It's here; light is pretty much gone though. Took a couple of quick shots out the door hand-held -- nothing worth sticking up here, but I don't see any immediate problems with my 5d3.

Hope I get some decent conditions tomorrow.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

sponsored links
DAA
315 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 24, 2014 17:51 |  #2777

Tanglefoot47 wrote in post #16633671 (external link)
Damn not much daylight left and still no brown truck crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Worse yet the sun is out

Well, I hope it ended up making it!

MCAsan wrote in post #16633710 (external link)
I keep all my lens in my Lowepro Proroller 200, each strapped into a padded compartment. I have never carried lens in a sleeve.

Yeah, that won't work for me. Need what you are calling a sleeve. I see Lowepro has some that look nice, just need to figure out the best size - I'm not very metric :oops:.

Scrumhalf wrote in post #16633951 (external link)
I assume you will install a lens plate to mount on a tripod, right? Like an Arca-swiss plate or whatever? Many plates will come with a lug to attach a camera strap to.

Yes, but unfortunately the very nice and not cheap Markins plate I already have and want to use has no such provision. Neither does the much less nice and much less expensive Feisol plate I already have that would fit the application. Buying another lens plate may be my only choice, but between that, a strap and a case, I'm another $100 into this thing!

Just did a quick series of static tripod shots in the backyard, with both the Sigma and the Tamron. Light was fair, able to keep ISO 100 and shutter speeds reasonably high. Have not looked at them yet. And they won't be definitive, or the final word, anyway - but I'm anxious to get them into LR for a good hard look! Will probably post one or two of them shortly...

- DAA

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 24, 2014 18:17 |  #2778

DAA yes shortly after I posted this it came, I thiink I will be very happy with this lens, love having a 600mm

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 24, 2014 18:20 |  #2779

BTW what are you folks using for a case, if anything? More thinking storage here than anything else.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

DAA
315 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 24, 2014 18:32 as a reply to  @ tickerguy's post |  #2780

Okay, first test shot to post.

This is a 100% crop, nothing else done except the crop in LR. 600mm, 1/320, f/9, ISO 100. Taken off a tripod, at a distance of 60 feet. Manually focused in Live View at 10x.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/tamron150600/20140124_Lens%20Comp_Tam%20MF%2060%20ft-2-2100W.jpg

And here is a sample from my Sigma 150-500, same everything except 500mm, 1/500 shutter.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/tamron150600/20140124_Lens%20Comp_Sig%20MF%2060%20ft-3100W.jpg

I'm very interested in opinions. The Tamron image is exposed better and obviously fills more of the frame. But I'm not sure it's any sharper, or capturing detail any better. Would love to hear what you much more experienced and critically eyed folks think.

Obviously, lots more testing ahead - including some upsizing of Sigma images to the match the 600mm. But at first blush, I dunno...

Here's the full image from the Tamron.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/tamron150600/20140124_Lens%20Comp_Tam%20MF%2060%20ft-2-2W.jpg

- DAA

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,017 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 24, 2014 19:03 |  #2781

^^did you turn off the OS/VC? i only ask because the very top of his hat in the sigma version looks a little off...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 24, 2014 19:10 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #2782

The extra 2/3 stop of s/s could be the difference for the Sigma. Mirror slap or such, might be nullified by the faster s/s. :confused:

Kel
Gear

shutterbug ­ guy
202 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 24, 2014 19:26 |  #2783

I'm not sure what the temp in Utah is but let the lens warm up first.

Roger

DAA
315 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 24, 2014 19:42 |  #2784

DreDaze wrote in post #16634211 (external link)
^^did you turn off the OS/VC? i only ask because the very top of his hat in the sigma version looks a little off...

Yup, sure did, both lenses.

1Tanker wrote in post #16634225 (external link)
The extra 2/3 stop of s/s could be the difference for the Sigma. Mirror slap or such, might be nullified by the faster s/s. :confused:

Beats me? I "think" (but am not sure) that Live View is MLU, so no mirror movement. But, I'm NOT sure about that?

shutterbug guy wrote in post #16634269 (external link)
I'm not sure what the temp in Utah is but let the lens warm up first.

Roger

Ahhh, man, we're having a heat wave! It was a good 35F when I took these. Both lenses had been indoors for some hours prior though, so should have been warmed up enough, I'd think?

But, as far as that goes, they won't have any such luxury as being warmed up in my real world use. It hasn't ever seemed an issue with the Sigma. If the Tamron is going to have trouble with the cold, it's something I want to find out, because I won't have much use for it, if that is the case. I think I'll leave them both in the car overnight to get good and chilled and do a few shots when they are cold like that just to see what happens!

- DAA

DAA
315 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 24, 2014 19:45 |  #2785

DreDaze wrote in post #16634211 (external link)

Looking at it again, do you mean the top of the silver bell? If so, it has a kind of a "Saturn ring" around it, where the two halves are joined, which does look a tad blurry. But, it's a tiny little lip of metal too, shot at 60 feet, so I don't think looks too bad?

That's why I'm asking though. I'veno experience with this stuff. Total learning experience.

- DAA

DreDaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,017 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 24, 2014 20:16 |  #2786

DAA wrote in post #16634310 (external link)
Looking at it again, do you mean the top of the silver bell? If so, it has a kind of a "Saturn ring" around it, where the two halves are joined, which does look a tad blurry. But, it's a tiny little lip of metal too, shot at 60 feet, so I don't think looks too bad?

That's why I'm asking though. I'veno experience with this stuff. Total learning experience.

- DAA

oh i don't think it looks bad...i dunno, it just looks a bit strange...and yeah, it's just that top metal piece

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 24, 2014 20:22 as a reply to  @ DAA's post |  #2787

DAA wrote:
Beats me? I "think" (but am not sure) that Live View is MLU, so no mirror movement. But, I'm NOT sure about that?

Yes, if you "shot" in LV, the mirror is already up. If you just focused in LV, then left LV and shot normally.. might get some vibrations. How sturdy is your tripod?

Kel
Gear

DAA
315 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 24, 2014 20:47 |  #2788

1Tanker wrote in post #16634434 (external link)
Yes, if you "shot" in LV, the mirror is already up. If you just focused in LV, then left LV and shot normally.. might get some vibrations. How sturdy is your tripod?

Yes, shot in LV, w/10 second timer.

Again, I'm not experienced enough to even say how sturdy my tripod is compared to anything else. But, I think it's pretty good? It's a Feisol CT-3472, which I think is about the sturdiest model Feisol makes. I had a 5 lb ankle weight hanging off the hook just for good measure too. Using a Feisol CB-70D ball head, which is a monster of a ball head - makes my Markins Q3T look like a tiny little thing.

But the reason I think it's a pretty good support for this lens, is how solid it looked while manually focusing at 10x in live view. I have read how touchy and difficult that could be, but honestly, it was pretty easy on this tripod setup. And using the 10 second timer, watching the LV screen at 10x, I could see it settle down and go solid in less than 2 seconds after letting go of the shutter button. It was damping out what vibrations I cause by pressing the button very quickly. I'll probably start using the 2 second timer from now on - it wasn't getting any steadier between 2 and 10 seconds watching the screen and the countdown timer.

Anyway... Like I say, I'm just learning this stuff as I go. But I do think the tripod setup is pretty solid.

- DAA

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 25, 2014 06:58 |  #2789

tickerguy wrote in post #16634106 (external link)
BTW what are you folks using for a case, if anything? More thinking storage here than anything else.

I use a padded knapsack. If the knapsack is big enough, I leave the lens and body together. I can't be bothered with bulk out in the field.

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 25, 2014 08:31 |  #2790

I'm not thinking field here, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for storage when the lens is not in use.

I am going to have to come up with a different carrying solution for camera + lens as a "take with" answer though -- my current "day bag" solutions will not handle it attached to the body.

The weather is freaking awful here this morning and not a bird or other critter in sight. Grrr...

sponsored links

616,044 views & 5 likes for this thread
Tamron developing 150-600mm VC USD lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.