Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Jan 2014 (Friday) 20:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you guys use...

Africanphoto
124 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 24, 2014 20:55 |  #1

Do you guys use/have desiccant/silicon beads in your bags to stop moisture/fungus/mold?

Canon 7D, Canon 100mm L F2.8, Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Canon 430 ex II, Sigma 2x teleconverter, Kenko extension tubes, Vello flash cord And a few bits and peices and a Yashica 635!!!

sponsored links
Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,911 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 24, 2014 20:56 |  #2

I throw the pouches that come in boxes from other items into the bag for the heck of it. Why not is my thought.

Andrew | Midwest Automotive (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 24, 2014 21:07 |  #3

Myboostedgst wrote in post #16634525 (external link)
I throw the pouches that come in boxes from other items into the bag for the heck of it. Why not is my thought.

This.

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,901 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 24, 2014 21:13 |  #4

Nope. In my climate, southeast Pennsylvania, never had any issue related to humidity, I have, and use on occasion, a camera made in 1958. No humidity issues whatsoever.

I actually would be concerned about a packet opening and spreading the material all around the bag.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,374 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 24, 2014 21:15 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #5

I live in a desiccant. So, no.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 24, 2014 21:52 |  #6

Africanphoto wrote in post #16634519 (external link)
Do you guys use/have desiccant/silicon beads in your bags to stop moisture/fungus/mold?

This is a totally useless thing to do.

Desiccant doesn't do any good unless it's used in an air-tight space because unless the space where the desiccant is used is air-tight, water vapor from around the space will replace the water vapor that was adsorbed by the desiccant almost immediately. No conventional camera bag is air-tight.

Desiccant bags would only take up otherwise useful space in the typical camera bag.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 24, 2014 22:33 |  #7

I use "rechargeable" desiccant packs in my Pelican case.

http://www.amazon.com …0037Z8K3E/ref=p​d_sim_hg_6 (external link)

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 24, 2014 22:41 |  #8

Agree with Skip which is why I keep my gear in a large (40 litre) cool box with a rehcargeable dessicant pack. It rarely needs re-charging as the only moisture in there is from when I open the lid to take some gear out, effectively (unavoidably) trapping a small amount in. I live in a sub-tropical climate and it can get quite humid in summer.

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

s.l.k
143 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 25, 2014 01:52 |  #9

v35skyline wrote in post #16634715 (external link)
I use "rechargeable" desiccant packs in my Pelican case.

http://www.amazon.com …0037Z8K3E/ref=p​d_sim_hg_6 (external link)

Same here.

Also +1 on what SkipD said.

Feedback

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 25, 2014 02:37 |  #10

I use a dry cabinet.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 25, 2014 06:08 |  #11

No, just not needed here in the UK. Granted we do get our fair share of rain, but it normally dries naturally.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 25, 2014 17:44 |  #12

SkipD wrote in post #16634629 (external link)
This is a totally useless thing to do.

Desiccant doesn't do any good unless it's used in an air-tight space because unless the space where the desiccant is used is air-tight, water vapor from around the space will replace the water vapor that was adsorbed by the desiccant almost immediately. No conventional camera bag is air-tight.

Desiccant bags would only take up otherwise useful space in the typical camera bag.

I kind of question the 'science' behind this. You would need airflow to re-introduce moisture-laden air, and the volume of moisture adsorbed/absorbed by the desiccant would be minuscule, so any air that replaces the removed volume of moisture would also be minuscule. The desiccant would then adsorb/absorb that new moisture, and it becomes a half-life type of cycle, wouldn't it? ie, the amount of moisture that has been re-introduced, but exceeds the capacity of the desiccant would not be enough to have an impact on anything.

I compare this to my boat. I keep a rechargeable can of desiccant in the cabin. Cabins are in no way air tight, but I have not had a mildew/mold issue since using them. I started using them after a couple of seat cushions got mildewy, but ever since, everything has been fine.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 25, 2014 18:38 |  #13

KirkS518 wrote in post #16636551 (external link)
You would need airflow to re-introduce moisture-laden airWater vapor in the air does not need conventional air flow to migrate from a moist environment to a dry environment. While I cannot quote the science facts involved, it has to do with vapor pressure. Vapor pressure is constantly trying to equalize.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,901 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 25, 2014 20:58 |  #14

LV Moose wrote in post #16634571 (external link)
I live in a desiccant. So, no.

Priceless, and one for the books!

NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 25, 2014 21:33 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #15

Golden Rod (external link) in my safe works well.

sponsored links

3,363 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you guys use...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.