Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 21:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elevated Photography, viable in the UK or not?

nigel123
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 23, 2014 21:37 |  #1

I have been given the chance to buy an elevated mast photography system at a reasonable price and am just testing the water to see if it a viable business proposition, the business would be based in Herefordshire and doing a web search there are few competitors based in this area. Can anyone give me their experiences thoughts please, if I am to buy this I need to move quickly.

Nigel :cool:

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,523 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 24, 2014 10:15 |  #2

Try asking them: MAST PHOTOGRAPHY/GROUND BASED AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 24, 2014 12:07 |  #3

nigel123 wrote in post #16631529 (external link)
I have been given the chance to buy an elevated mast photography system at a reasonable price and am just testing the water to see if it a viable business proposition, the business would be based in Herefordshire and doing a web search there are few competitors based in this area. Can anyone give me their experiences thoughts please, if I am to buy this I need to move quickly.

Nigel :cool:

Ask yourself the question: who am I going to sell the photos to? (Target market question). My view is that you are going to find that most people are satisfied with Google Earth images even though they are very low quality.

I wouldn't invest in it myself as I believe it would be a lot of door to door selling to farmers and other land owners.

Why not invest in a drone? It is the next generation of Elevated Photography

Michael

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/ (external link)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 24, 2014 23:05 |  #4

Why does everything that flies via RC have to be called a "drone" these days?

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

llareggub
631 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 25, 2014 02:37 |  #5

I used to work in property management and asset management of commercial property in the UK before I gave up work and moved to Hungary... It was a service that we used on a number of occasions but it was all linked with A grade office space and tended to all revolve around the re-marketing of multi let office space. The contractors we worked with had to work on the full spectrum which included 3d walk throughs and high end 'real estate' stuff, most important thing is contacts, if you can get into some of the big asset management companies then I am sure you can make it work.

People to look at are folks like CBRE, GVA Grimley, Jones Lang Lasalle... These names may have moved on as I have been out of the industry for 6 years.

My Website :D (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,063 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 25, 2014 13:07 |  #6

Biffbradford wrote in post #16634766 (external link)
Why does everything that flies via RC have to be called a "drone" these days?

Because something flying by Radio Control IS a "drone" and always has been. "Drone" is so much easier to type than Remote Controlled Flying Craft. Sure, the meaning can change slightly based on situation and region, similar to how the meaning of the words rocket and missile can shift depending on what field you are working in at the time.

However, I strongly caution people against jumping into drones. Major liability risk, highly technical field, and not exactly cheap to get into. Also highly illegal in many areas to do without a pile of paperwork and making sure you have all your angles covered.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

s1a1om
501 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 25, 2014 13:48 |  #7

Luckless wrote in post #16635995 (external link)
Also highly illegal in many areas to do without a pile of paperwork and making sure you have all your angles covered.

Be very careful doing any business a drone (rc aircraft, what ever you want to call it) in the US. The FAA hasn't approved it yet and has sent cease and desist letters to people advertising those services. I believe they have also fined people in at least 1 case.

http://www.scientifica​merican.com …aa-commercial-flying-ban/ (external link)

While people may not see any general issues with using UAV/Drone/RC aircraft, please remember that our national air space system is based upon "see and avoid" and includes general aviation, ultralights, powered paragliders, medical air services, etc. that may or may not operate on flight plans and may be at low altitudes in places you wouldn't typically expect them. If you do get involved with drones, be aware of any airports, glider ports, private airfields, and/or heliports that may be in your area and watch out for any low flying aircraft. Avoid flying higher than 400 feet, as some aircraft can be found legally flying that low.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

nigel123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 26, 2014 00:31 as a reply to  @ s1a1om's post |  #8

Thank you for your replies looking at those and some research I will pass and maybe 'invest' in a drone type (that's what I will tell my wife) but just another toy really.

Aki78
960 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 26, 2014 12:57 |  #9

Look into using a Blimp :) It's been done for many years in the US also.

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 20, 2014 09:36 as a reply to  @ Aki78's post |  #10

The FAA tried fining an RCAP professional in the US and a federal judge decided the FAA has not control.

In the UK I believe it's $8,000-$10,000 for the certification.

PhotosGuy
75,523 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 20, 2014 09:48 |  #11

s1a1om wrote in post #16636084 (external link)
Be very careful doing any business a drone (rc aircraft, what ever you want to call it) in the US. The FAA hasn't approved it yet and has sent cease and desist letters to people advertising those services. I believe they have also fined people in at least 1 case.

http://www.scientifica​merican.com …aa-commercial-flying-ban/ (external link)

While people may not see any general issues with using UAV/Drone/RC aircraft, please remember that our national air space system is based upon "see and avoid" and includes general aviation, ultralights, powered paragliders, medical air services, etc. that may or may not operate on flight plans and may be at low altitudes in places you wouldn't typically expect them. If you do get involved with drones, be aware of any airports, glider ports, private airfields, and/or heliports that may be in your area and watch out for any low flying aircraft. Avoid flying higher than 400 feet, as some aircraft can be found legally flying that low.

New court ruling: Commercial Drone Pilots Cheer Judge Finding Against FAA
http://www.bloomberg.c​om …-finding-against-faa.html (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

2,090 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elevated Photography, viable in the UK or not?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.