Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 23 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 11:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me choose a NASCAR setup

KROHN27
379 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 23, 2014 11:50 |  #1

**Edit** Sorry, this probably should have been in motorsports talk section.

Alright guys I know this setup has probably been asked before, but I need some opinions for allocating gear appropriately and putting together a setup on a budget, but it will evolve eventually.

My Current gear is as follows

Two 5D MKII bodies

70-200 2.8IS

50mm 1.4

40mm 2.8

580exII

17-40mm

I've done my fair share of motorsports, but it's for the most part been all local/smaller tracks. This will be the first time I'll be at super speedways.
I have the opportunity to be a team photographer for 20 races (give or take a few).

I'll be shooting a mixture of photographs, in the pits, garage, creative shots that are "behind the scenes", and lastly some on track photos.

The behind the scenes stuff I'm not too worried about, I can make that work. The on track though, my 70-200 & 5DMKII aren't going to cut it.

What are your opinions on going to a 1D series camera for some reach and the FPS (I can't afford a 1Dx).

Do you think I can get some extenders and make my 70-200 work for a little while with some decent results?

Should I rent something every weekend?

I'd love some opinions on shuffling some of my gear around on a budget. I'm willing to spend some money, but dropping 4k+ probably won't happen.

Thanks in advance

-krohn27

5D MKII | 5D MKIII | 40mm | 50L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 24-105L | 580EX II

sponsored links
colintf
295 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 24, 2014 06:11 |  #2

5d3 is great for motorsport, not so sure about the other 5d's though - try rent one for a weekend and see, and or a 1d3

1d3 is very popular with media motorsport phographers here in the uk, but I stick with the 5d3 personally.

The 5d3 even makes the 100-400 seem amazing (compared to when I used it with 7d and 1d4) :)

:cool:

KROHN27
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 24, 2014 09:37 |  #3

colintf wrote in post #16632215 (external link)
5d3 is great for motorsport, not so sure about the other 5d's though - try rent one for a weekend and see, and or a 1d3

1d3 is very popular with media motorsport phographers here in the uk, but I stick with the 5d3 personally.

The 5d3 even makes the 100-400 seem amazing (compared to when I used it with 7d and 1d4) :)

:cool:

Thanks for your input, I've decided on selling a 5D MKII and picking up a 5D3. I'll rent some long glass for the super speedways and gauge it out from there.

colintf
295 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 24, 2014 12:33 |  #4

KROHN27 wrote in post #16632598 (external link)
Thanks for your input, I've decided on selling a 5D MKII and picking up a 5D3. I'll rent some long glass for the super speedways and gauge it out from there.

see if you can try one first just to make sure that you are happy with the 5d3 :cool:

Brandon ­ Anderson ­ Photos
906 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 24, 2014 21:11 |  #5

I've shot on track nascar stuff with my 70-200 and it works just fine, why do you think it won't cut it??

Gear: 2-1D MkIII's | 5D Gripped | 50D Gripped | Rebel 6.3 | 70-200L F2.8 MkI | 17-40 L F4 | 300mm f2.8L | 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS | Nifty Fifty | Canon 15mm 2.8 Fisheye | (2)Norman 400b | 430 ExII | Some Studio Lighting | Go Pro Hero | Go Pro Hero 2
Web Site www.ba-photos.com (external link)

onesickpuppy
762 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 25, 2014 02:31 |  #6

First...it all depends on what track your at....and where you can go.

Yes...a 70-200 with a TC will work...if you can get close enough to reach the top of the track.
Most of other shooters around me have at least a 400 2.8 (with TC's) for most of the activity due to being on top of a platform or top of motor home somewhere about center of track (inside).
To the really big tracks, even if you had access to the top rafters (where car spotters are) you will
need more than 400mm.

Body wise....the 1DMKIII will be a much better option over a 5DII and to some degree the 5DMKIII.
I shoot with the 5DMKIII and 1DMKIV....and with what you have and money wise, the MKIII will give you big returns without major $$ spent.

Renting every weekend my exceed your pocketbook....unless the team is paying you big $$$ (which I doubt). A 300 2.8 w/2x TC would work as well....but again...depending on how the track is setup and where you can get to.

You've listed the events are "NASCAR"....but which series. The smaller series means you may be on tracks that will allow for your presence closer to the action....and in that case the 300 with TC combo on a MKIII would be super. Have both...the 1.4 and 2x....just in case you can get close enough...your not over powered.

Here is a link to a blog of Mark, one of the sports BEST in motorsports.....you'll be in awe of his work. His father did the same...and Mark started shooting before he was a "teen" and turning out shots others missed. Do a search in his blog to see some of his history...and samples.
Note: one of the best things I enjoy of Marks blog...is he shares his settings on each photo

http://markjrebilas.co​m …%28Mark+J+Rebil​as+Blog%29 (external link)

I can go over many other items to consider via PM...if you wish.

Rod
Canon
1Dx, 1D4, 100 2, 100L 2.8 IS, 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70L 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 400L 2.8 IS, 1.4X TC vIII, 2X TC vIII, 600EX-RT x4, ST-E3-RT, RRS TVC-33, RRS BH-55

KROHN27
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 25, 2014 08:14 |  #7

Brandon Anderson Photos wrote in post #16634560 (external link)
I've shot on track nascar stuff with my 70-200 and it works just fine, why do you think it won't cut it??

Well for a lot of the tracks I think it will work, I guess I'm just worried about super speedway stuff. I spoke with a friend of mine who said he was on top of a hauler at Daytona with a 70-200 and said even with a 300mm a tight crop is going to be difficult.

But for the majority of the tracks, I think the 70-200 will suffice actually. It's just the paranoia in me of wanting to be prepared (or best I can be) for all situations.

First...it all depends on what track your at....and where you can go.

Yes...a 70-200 with a TC will work...if you can get close enough to reach the top of the track.
Most of other shooters around me have at least a 400 2.8 (with TC's) for most of the activity due to being on top of a platform or top of motor home somewhere about center of track (inside).
To the really big tracks, even if you had access to the top rafters (where car spotters are) you will
need more than 400mm.

Body wise....the 1DMKIII will be a much better option over a 5DII and to some degree the 5DMKIII.
I shoot with the 5DMKIII and 1DMKIV....and with what you have and money wise, the MKIII will give you big returns without major $$ spent.

Renting every weekend my exceed your pocketbook....unless the team is paying you big $$$ (which I doubt). A 300 2.8 w/2x TC would work as well....but again...depending on how the track is setup and where you can get to.

You've listed the events are "NASCAR"....but which series. The smaller series means you may be on tracks that will allow for your presence closer to the action....and in that case the 300 with TC combo on a MKIII would be super. Have both...the 1.4 and 2x....just in case you can get close enough...your not over powered.

Here is a link to a blog of Mark, one of the sports BEST in motorsports.....you'll be in awe of his work. His father did the same...and Mark started shooting before he was a "teen" and turning out shots others missed. Do a search in his blog to see some of his history...and samples.
Note: one of the best things I enjoy of Marks blog...is he shares his settings on each photo

http://markjrebilas.co​m/blog/?p=1950...ebila​s+Blog%29 (external link)

I can go over many other items to consider via PM...if you wish.

Thanks for the advice, the series would be ARCA, which after looking at the schedule, there's a lot of small tracks. I think this season will be a good feeler. I think the 5D MKIII suites my budget for the time being. I guess I'll leave my slower mkii for the garage area.

I see an extender in my future I think.

Brandon ­ Anderson ­ Photos
906 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 25, 2014 10:39 |  #8

here is a link to some of my nascar stuff from the truck series, shot with a 70-200

http://www.ba-photos.com …8#!i=1404154080​&k=hSqjs9C (external link)

Gear: 2-1D MkIII's | 5D Gripped | 50D Gripped | Rebel 6.3 | 70-200L F2.8 MkI | 17-40 L F4 | 300mm f2.8L | 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS | Nifty Fifty | Canon 15mm 2.8 Fisheye | (2)Norman 400b | 430 ExII | Some Studio Lighting | Go Pro Hero | Go Pro Hero 2
Web Site www.ba-photos.com (external link)

onesickpuppy
762 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 27, 2014 00:22 |  #9

Well...it depends...if your looking to buy new...I would push to get a used MKIV....but if your looking only at a used 5DMKIII...you would much be better off with the 1DMKIII and maybe use the difference up front to get longer glass.

I have the 5DMKIII...and a 1dMKIV....have had two 1DMKIII's........and while the 5dMKIII is a great camera....it's strength isn't really for what your about to commit to. I will push the MKIV to ISO 12800 and can cover almost any night track with it....the response time on the 5DMKIII has allowed me some missed shots. Dealing with the setting your going to be in...my vote would be the 1DMKIII.

Rod
Canon
1Dx, 1D4, 100 2, 100L 2.8 IS, 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70L 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 400L 2.8 IS, 1.4X TC vIII, 2X TC vIII, 600EX-RT x4, ST-E3-RT, RRS TVC-33, RRS BH-55

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,879 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 27, 2014 04:47 |  #10

KROHN27 wrote in post #16629977 (external link)
**Edit** Sorry, this probably should have been in motorsports talk section.

Alright guys I know this setup has probably been asked before, but I need some opinions for allocating gear appropriately and putting together a setup on a budget, but it will evolve eventually.

For on-track action, nearly any competent camera body will be good enough. The main challenge from week to week is going to be in finding a location to get a clear view of the action. Insurance regulations mean long distances, and long distances mean long lenses.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …729a0000b_zpsea​2dfee8.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: 150-500mm
Image Date: 2012-07-29 13:37:36 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 213.0mm
Aperture: f/10.0
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0729a1052_zpsb3​57a40a.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: 150-500mm
Image Date: 2012-07-29 13:23:49 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 439.0mm
Aperture: f/10.0
Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

These images used a Sigma 150-500mm lens, among the least expensive super telephoto units on the market. Another option is the commonly used Canon 100-400mm. And, the new Tamron 150-600mm may be usable.

The closest you'll find to a bargain lens in this category is a Tamron 70-300mm vibration control lens.

Unfortunately, as focal lengths increase, so do prices.

Bicknell55
347 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 27, 2014 19:45 |  #11

I just got back from Daytona and had no issues using the 70-200 in the turns. Anything in the trioval or backstretch area would be a little too far away if you're going for a tight single car shot.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
http://www.brentsmithp​hotography.com/ (external link)http://brentsmith.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

lusospeed
178 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 27, 2014 23:14 |  #12

If you can't afford a 1DX, then my suggestion would be to try and find a used 1DmkIV. Stay away from the 1DmkIII. They sucked for motorsports. If you are shooting motorsports, get the best gear for the job that you can afford. At the speeds that those cars travel on the ovals, the highest frame rate will give you the most consistent results. A 5DmkII is not a good camera for motorsports. The MkIII is slightly better but still slow. Your 5DmkII's will be excellent for doing work in the garage area, pit road, or anything that doesn't require you to shoot something at at high rate of speed.

In terms of glass, that is going to depend on the track. I was just at Daytona and the 500mm is ideal for the banking. It is also going to depend on what access you actually get. NASCAR isn't exactly the most access friendly when it comes giving photographers areas to shoot from, unless you are working for a major outlet or Getty.

http://www.lusospeed.c​om (external link)

autoidiodyssey
202 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 28, 2014 06:52 |  #13

Bicknell55 wrote in post #16642571 (external link)
I just got back from Daytona and had no issues using the 70-200 in the turns. Anything in the trioval or backstretch area would be a little too far away if you're going for a tight single car shot.

I just got back from Daytona as well. I agree 70-200 will work for getting shots of cars in turns 1-2 and 3-4. Especially if you are inside the fence.

If the series you are shooting only goes to big tracks a couple times then you might think about renting a big lens for those races.

KROHN27
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 28, 2014 20:46 |  #14

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I will be posting some photos a couple days after flying home from Daytona!

sponsored links

2,420 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me choose a NASCAR setup
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.