Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Jan 2014 (Saturday) 19:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Charging a magazine after the fact

Reibs
81 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 25, 2014 19:13 |  #1

My wife and I take photos of police motorcycle officers in their competitions (cone courses) mainly as a thank you to the officers. We provide a service for the officers to buy photos for their personal use at a discounted rate (cost plus $.50print) . I even print some and donate the prints for charity (ie 13x20 print). Today we found out that one of photos is on the cover of a national police management magazine. They have not contacted me, our company, nor have they recognized our business in the mag. What would you do in this circumstance? Im really ticked off.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,187 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 25, 2014 19:23 |  #2

The first thing you need to do is swallow some of that anger. Being angry isn't going to help your case going forward. if you come off angry it will come back to haunt you in a tight community. The chances are one of your clients proved the image not understanding that personal use and reproduction rights are different. You should contact the magazine and explain that they used your photo without authorization and be prepared to negotiate a settlement. Have a price in mind that will satisfy you.

mattertea
227 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 25, 2014 19:23 |  #3

lawyer up!

Edit- that was sarcasm. ..

Flickr (external link)
Sculpting Blog (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 25, 2014 20:35 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

mattertea wrote in post #16636741 (external link)
lawyer up!

Really? Spend $500 to get back $250?

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 25, 2014 20:40 |  #5

Hogloff wrote in post #16636880 (external link)
Really? Spend $500 to get back $250?

Only $250? I figured a mag cover would get closer to $1000.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 25, 2014 22:17 |  #6

I would contact them and introduce myself as the photographer who created the images. Ask how they obtained the image and tell them that the print was for personal use only. They will surely offer to compensate you for it's use. Perhaps $1K to $1500 depending on the circulation. I'd do a little homework and find out what their ad rates are before I came up with a figure.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,606 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 25, 2014 22:26 |  #7

It's best to explain to clients in advance what they can and cannot do with your images. People who aren't involved with photography, publishing, or law don't know these things.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 26, 2014 05:58 |  #8

Old Coot wrote in post #16636888 (external link)
Only $250? I figured a mag cover would get closer to $1000.

Not for a small specialty mag that likely has a circulation of less then 30K people. $250 is around the going rate.

Bryan

My Gear List

Ralph ­ Merlino
Goldmember
1,645 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 26, 2014 07:31 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #9

bps is right on target. Small circulation magazines
do not have a large buget. I have sold covers for
$2000.00 and I have also sold covers for $125.00

gslabbert5119
517 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 26, 2014 08:51 |  #10

I am not a lawyer, but how much they pay for a cover photo that is legitimately purchased is immaterial here.
If you have gone to the trouble of registering your images with the Library of Congress which is $35 per submission (not $35.00 per image) would would have the basis of a healthy lawsuit.

Basically they are screwed and it depends on how nicely you want to play the game, you could have a lawyer write them a letter with an attached invoice of 25 x their standard payment amount as they have used your image without authority.

This may be an interesting read which legally sets a very nice precedent for photographers.
"Photographer wins $1.2 Million lawsuit over Images taken from Twitter"
http://mashable.com …ographer-lawsuit-twitter/ (external link)

Images in Africa Safaris
https://imagesinafrica​safaris.com/ (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,606 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 26, 2014 10:53 |  #11

Reibs wrote in post #16636719 (external link)
My wife and I take photos of police motorcycle officers . . . mainly as a thank you to the officers. We provide a service for the officers to buy photos for their personal use at a discounted rate (cost plus $.50print) . I even print some and donate the prints for charity (ie 13x20 print). Today we found out that one of photos is on the cover of a national police management magazine.

Some of these officers probably feel loyal to the magazine, which is more or less a trade journal for them. They may know staff members personally. Suing would risk ruining the rapport you have with this group as a result of your volunteer service to their community. The one who sent in your photo may have believed that he or she was extending that service. I think suing is a bad idea in this case. The magazine editor should have known better, but . . . now look again at gonzogolf's post. If you approach the magazine with outrage because your rights were violated, word will get around.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

gslabbert5119
517 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 26, 2014 11:06 |  #12

You have to decide if you want to place nice or if you want to use the law. Frankly someone uses my images and I catch them I am going to sue the hell out of them but then that is just me.
Think about this ...
if you committed a crime, do you think that those very same officers would cut you a break?
I think not !!

You need to separate business and emotion .

Images in Africa Safaris

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,187 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 26, 2014 11:14 |  #13

I don't understand the rush to sue here. There are methods to get fair compensation without filing suit or potentially destroying some relationships. If being reasonable doesn't work then you can get litigious.

gslabbert5119
517 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 26, 2014 11:56 |  #14

What I said GonzoGolf, is that Reibs needs to decide ... see the included quote.

gslabbert5119 wrote in post #16638272 (external link)
You have to decide if you want to place nice or if you want to use the law.

I am not advocating "sue" but experience has shown me that over 95% of violators seem to think that they have free reign on imagery and believe that they can simply use it. I have only ever had one person write me a check after using an image of mine without consent, the rest I had to file against.

Images in Africa Safaris

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,187 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 26, 2014 12:01 |  #15

gslabbert5119 wrote in post #16638382 (external link)
What I said GonzoGolf, is that Reibs needs to decide ... see the included quote.

I am not advocating "sue" but experience has shown me that over 95% of violators seem to think that they have free reign on imagery and believe that they can simply use it. I have only ever had one person write me a check after using an image of mine without consent, the rest I had to file against.

And my response was that it's incremental. Be nice until its in your best interest not to be. Its especially important when this will likely splash back on a client and could spoil relationships that might be important.

sponsored links

6,892 views & 0 likes for this thread
Charging a magazine after the fact
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.