Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 Jan 2014 (Saturday) 23:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

USPS Mess

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 25, 2014 23:11 |  #1

I recently sold a tripod on ebay, which I shipped USPS Priority Mail 2-day to a buyer in New York. Five days have passed since mailing and the only update to the tracking information is the initial acceptance scan at the USPS office where I sent the package. I called the "customer service" line this morning and they told me that they are "looking into it," which I assume means the package is lost and will not be found. I have refunded the buyer's shipping cost because the item did not arrive in a timely manner, but am reticent to refund the purchase price - if the item DOES arrive, he will have no obligation to repay me and will get a free tripod, while I'll be SOL.

Anyone been in a similar situation? What are my options here? I have to wait 21 days before filing a claim with USPS, and somehow prove that I actually mailed the tripod. I didn't purchase additional insurance (though I will from now on), but the USPS site says all packages are insured up to $50, so I should be able to at least get that much back, right? And what about the shipping cost? They didn't exactly deliver on that service...

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,311 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 25, 2014 23:23 |  #2

Never, ever ship USPS unless you insure. USPS is (IMHO) the worst package shipping option. I prefer UPS because of their superior tracking ability.

That said, give it some time. USPS has been swamped and backed up because of the weather. The package may still show up.

Mark J.
Gear

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 25, 2014 23:23 |  #3

Hate USPS tracking. You get what you pay for. Hope you get this one resolved soon. Personally, from my experience, they are pretty good with tracking it when they misplace a package. They once misplaced my package (5DMII), 3 days later the manager called me and advised they found it.

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,762 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 25, 2014 23:46 |  #4

I shipped a package last week that arrived at a zip code 108 miles away from where it was supposed to be delivered due to a 1 and 2 being switched around. I have to wait since it's the weekend until Monday to try to get it straightened out. I insured it for $2000 but should have insured it for at least $2500 since that what I have into it. I was already taking a substantial loss but since selling for $1700 minus the $50 shipping and who knows what else due to the reroute fees I'm really taking a hit.

Lesson learned in that before the packages are shipped I'm triple checking that everything is made out extra clear in the shipping info on the packages.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 25, 2014 23:49 |  #5

I'm guessing the weather is probably the culprit in this case.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

545iBMW
473 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 26, 2014 01:03 |  #6

I always ask USPS to scan my packages (postage are printed at home) when I drop them off to my 2 local USPS. Majority of the time, the reps complain that I don't need to do this and that I should be able to track it. I always tell them, if it gets lost, can I personally charge it to you? And that's when they scan it. Make sure you ask for the receipt.

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 26, 2014 04:12 |  #7

I have had good luck with USPS though ALWAYS pay the extra for insurance and delivery confirmation (even if the buyer does not). The more I can do to cover my butt the better off I am as a seller.
I would not be rushing to make ANY refunds to the buyer (even shipping). You shipped it as promised. The failure to deliver is beyond your control. If USPS refund shipping and insured value then by all means refund. But give the USPS time to deliver and investigate.

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,712 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 26, 2014 06:41 |  #8

I used to use UPS exclusively. Their tracking is far superior. But I now go to the post office. They deliver much quicker for a lot less. But I always ship priority and insure it so it requires a signature.

Is the buyer demanding a refund or being patient? I'd wait a bit. It's not exactly a lot of money.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,801 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 26, 2014 07:53 |  #9

Thorrulz wrote in post #16637257 (external link)
I shipped a package last week that arrived at a zip code 108 miles away from where it was supposed to be delivered due to a 1 and 2 being switched around. I have to wait since it's the weekend until Monday to try to get it straightened out. I insured it for $2000 but should have insured it for at least $2500 since that what I have into it. I was already taking a substantial loss but since selling for $1700 minus the $50 shipping and who knows what else due to the reroute fees I'm really taking a hit.

Lesson learned in that before the packages are shipped I'm triple checking that everything is made out extra clear in the shipping info on the packages.

I always cut and paste the address sent by the buyer
UPS charges $10 or more to fix an address
registered mail is the way to sent anything VIA USPS if it has to get there (important document).
I've owned an electric parts biz for 40 years, shipped an average of 5 packages a day UPS and USPS have both been near perfect, never a loss.
be sure a package well.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Firemike
" lingering odor "
3,016 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 26, 2014 08:41 |  #10

I ordered some parts for a client 2 days after Christmas. Granted there was the New Years holiday, and a snowstorm, but it still took USPS 13 days to get a 1 pound 4 ounce package from Iowa to Michigan. Their tracking is abysmal, every time I checked it all it said was "In Transit" until the last 2 days when it said "Adverse Weather Conditions."

MichaeL

Canon 5D Mark II, 7D, 50D, & 40D (x2) ( All Gripped) | Canon EF 28-135 1:3/5-5.6 IS | Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 70-200 1:4 L USM
600EX-RT (x2) | 580EX-II | 430EX-II
| Gossen Luna-Pro Digital F Exposure Meter

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 26, 2014 08:53 as a reply to  @ Firemike's post |  #11

Ok, just found out that it's already been 5 days since one of my item shipped via USPS Priority and the buyer still hasn't receive his package. He was only <50 miles away from my Zip Code. WTH!

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,633 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 26, 2014 10:35 |  #12

jt354 wrote in post #16637189 (external link)
I didn't purchase additional insurance (though I will from now on)

Insure what you can't afford to lose.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

wihakowi
158 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 26, 2014 10:59 as a reply to  @ Zivnuska's post |  #13

Not that it was an valuable item (<$8) but below is the shipping history for an item that I ordered 1/15. It arrived yesterday! Ten days may not be overly long but the routing was interesting. It was a very small package - less than an ounce sent First Class Mail.

Patience for and not trying to see logic in the process may be the key to USPS shipping!

Time and date Place Message
Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 WESLACO, TX Delivered
Friday, Jan 24, 2014 WESLACO, TX Arrival at Unit
Friday, Jan 24, 2014 MCALLEN, TX Enroute
Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 SAN ANTONIO, TX Enroute
Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 ATLANTA, GA Processed through USPS Sort Facility
Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 ATLANTA, GA Depart USPS Sort Facility
Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 ATLANTA, GA Processed through USPS Sort Facility
Friday, Jan 17, 2014 WEST SACRAMENTO, CA Processed through USPS Sort Facility

sparky16
363 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 26, 2014 11:00 |  #14

OP; don't forget to take Sunday/holiday into consideration. Plus adverse weather on east Coast. All those adds extra time. Bad weather effects all USPS Priority mail since those are flown by FedEx planes, Post Office is not ALLOWED to have its own planes by law.

I have shipped roughly 100 packages past year, more than 98% made on time(2 days from coast to coast), one or two took up to 4 days. Insuring is good idea, but I don't insure unless it's more than $500(my personal limit). Signature confirmation is what I use.

Rittrato wrote in post #16637900 (external link)
Ok, just found out that it's already been 5 days since one of my item shipped via USPS Priority and the buyer still hasn't receive his package. He was only <50 miles away from my Zip Code. WTH!

You shipped the package 5 days ago via USPS?
How did you do that?

Your local post office opened on a Fed Holiday JUST for you?

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 26, 2014 11:03 |  #15

sparky16 wrote in post #16638250 (external link)
You shipped the package 5 days ago via USPS?
How did you do that?

Your local post office opened on a Fed Holiday JUST for you?

What the hell are you talking about? :rolleyes:

sponsored links

9,873 views & 2 likes for this thread
USPS Mess
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.