Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 Jan 2014 (Saturday) 23:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

USPS Mess

sparky16
363 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 26, 2014 11:05 |  #16

Sunday is not business day

sponsored links
Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 26, 2014 11:07 as a reply to  @ sparky16's post |  #17

It was dropped Tuesday, processed and left the facility the same day, that's 5 days until Saturday. :rolleyes:

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,399 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 26, 2014 11:10 |  #18

Rittrato wrote in post #16638278 (external link)
It was dropped Tuesday, processed and left the facility the same day, that's 5 days until Saturday. :rolleyes:

Depends on what time you dropped it off on Tuesday. If it is later in the day, they may not count it as a business day.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 26, 2014 11:12 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #19

Tuesday morning. It says it departed the same day. But this is all trivial honestly :rolleyes:. The point is it's past their normally guaranteed delivery time frame of 2-3 days, for the sellers (me) perspective, it's ok but the poor buyer is stressing about it.

sparky16
363 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 26, 2014 11:26 |  #20

In my experience, delivery to East Coast where the living cost is substantially higher than other parts of country- takes somewhat longer time. Don't ask me why.

I sent 3 packages and received three so far this year, all via USPS Priority mail, all of them were delivered in 2 days.

thinkharder
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 26, 2014 12:18 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

NEVER SHIPPED USPS !!! their tracking sucking use ups or fedex.

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 26, 2014 12:28 |  #22

M_Six wrote in post #16637216 (external link)
Never, ever ship USPS unless you insure. USPS is (IMHO) the worst package shipping option. I prefer UPS because of their superior tracking ability.

That said, give it some time. USPS has been swamped and backed up because of the weather. The package may still show up.

USPS IS A JOKE I SENT A PACK OF M&MS TO MYSELF JUST TO PROVE A POINT ON HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE. OUR CARRIER SAID IT WAS AGAINST THE LAW TO SEND TO YOUR SELF? SO I sent it to my neighbor across the street took 4 days

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

mpix345
Goldmember
2,849 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 26, 2014 13:25 |  #23

grayline wrote in post #16638452 (external link)
USPS IS A JOKE I SENT A PACK OF M&MS TO MYSELF JUST TO PROVE A POINT ON HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE. OUR CARRIER SAID IT WAS AGAINST THE LAW TO SEND TO YOUR SELF? SO I sent it to my neighbor across the street took 4 days

grow up please

mpix345
Goldmember
2,849 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 26, 2014 13:30 |  #24

IMO, USPS is worse for tracking than FedX or UPS. It is also cheaper. I have never had a package lost or destroyed by any of them, though USPS did misplace one for quite a while. I still use USPS for most stuff. Easier and cheaper for me, and I don't have the desire to obsess over tracking a package along it's route.

Having said that, the biggest issue isn't choosing the best shipping company, it's clearly being smart with how you ship. Insurance and signature confirmation are your friends, unless you are OK with rolling the dice and maybe losing the item you are shipping. It's pretty easy, and it's a straightforward choice we all get to make when we ship stuff.

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 26, 2014 14:46 |  #25

mpix345 wrote in post #16638595 (external link)
IMO, USPS is worse for tracking than FedX or UPS. It is also cheaper. I have never had a package lost or destroyed by any of them, though USPS did misplace one for quite a while. I still use USPS for most stuff. Easier and cheaper for me, and I don't have the desire to obsess over tracking a package along it's route.

Having said that, the biggest issue isn't choosing the best shipping company, it's clearly being smart with how you ship. Insurance and signature confirmation are your friends, unless you are OK with rolling the dice and maybe losing the item you are shipping. It's pretty easy, and it's a straightforward choice we all get to make when we ship stuff.

That's why I don't understand buyers who always declines a $10-$20 insurance for a thousand dollar item. It's just not smart not to add an extra layer of protection to cover yourself.

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 26, 2014 16:08 |  #26

Rittrato wrote in post #16638756 (external link)
That's why I don't understand buyers who always declines a $10-$20 insurance for a thousand dollar item. It's just not smart not to add an extra layer of protection to cover yourself.

It is the sellers responsibility to get it to the buyer or cover the loss, the buyer should not have to pay for the insurance.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 26, 2014 18:05 |  #27

duane0524 wrote in post #16638948 (external link)
It is the sellers responsibility to get it to the buyer or cover the loss, the buyer should not have to pay for the insurance.

Your obviously not familiar with the buy and sell process in the free market. I wish it works that way, but not a lot of seller will cover your insurance. Once the seller ships the item, the responsibility falls in the hands of the courier to deliver the package, so If you want peace of mind, you, the buyer will normally cover it. Insurance is optional in almost every tangible item for a reason. It's not cheap and someone has to pay for it.

If your item is lost, and Paypal has proof the item was shipped but somehow is lost in transit. There's a good chance the buyer who penny pinched to save a few dollars will end up losing more in the process.

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 26, 2014 18:20 |  #28

Rittrato wrote in post #16639222 (external link)
Your obviously not familiar with the buy and sell process in the free market. I wish it works that way, but not a lot of seller will cover your insurance. Once the seller ships the item, the responsibility falls in the hands of the courier to deliver the package, so If you want peace of mind, you, the buyer will normally cover it. Insurance is optional in almost every tangible item for a reason. It's not cheap and someone has to pay for it.

If your item is lost, and Paypal has proof the item was shipped but somehow is lost in transit. There's a good chance the buyer who penny pinched to save a few dollars will end up losing more in the process.

I may not be an expert in the free market, but I feel comfortable enough with it to say that I respectfully disagree with you. I don't understand why you say "no a lot of seller will cover your insurance", it is the sellers responsibility to ensure that item arrives not the buyers. Paypal will refund my money and debit your account if you sold me something that has not arrived, regardless of it being your fault or the courier. They will be looking for proof of delivery from you, not proof of dropping it off with the courier. If for some reason Paypal does not back me, I will contact my credit card company who will back me. This is why everyone who uses this site should only use Paypal paid by your credit card.

Shipping, Paypal fees and insurance are all part of the cost of doing business, if you want to trim some of the costs as a seller, then it is a risk that you are taking. Personally, I build all of those into the price I set for an item I am selling.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

thinkharder
442 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 26, 2014 18:40 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

I agreed its the Seller responsibility to get the insurances not the buyer.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 26, 2014 21:08 as a reply to  @ thinkharder's post |  #30

545iBMW wrote in post #16637344 (external link)
I always ask USPS to scan my packages (postage are printed at home) when I drop them off to my 2 local USPS. Majority of the time, the reps complain that I don't need to do this and that I should be able to track it. I always tell them, if it gets lost, can I personally charge it to you? And that's when they scan it. Make sure you ask for the receipt.

Asking them to scan it at the counter only creates an "ACCEPTANCE" scan, which is what the OP says it shows.

Rittrato wrote in post #16638293 (external link)
Tuesday morning. It says it departed the same day. But this is all trivial honestly :rolleyes:. The point is it's past their normally guaranteed delivery time frame of 2-3 days, for the sellers (me) perspective, it's ok but the poor buyer is stressing about it.

It is not, and I repeat, NOT guaranteed. 2-3 days is an average delivery time, and not a promise or guarantee.

Rittrato wrote in post #16638756 (external link)

The seller should incorporate the cost of insurance into the shipping cost charged to the buyer. If I buy something, and I have the option to insure or not insure, I will not pay for the insurance. Insurance protects the seller, and seller only, especially in ebay sales. Credit cards and ebay/Paypal buyer protection will protect the buyer if the item is not delivered.

Rittrato wrote in post #16639222 (external link)

Completely incorrect. If a "DELIVERED" scan to the recipient's zip code is not shown, the buyer can, and will get his money back from Paypal or ebay.

Trust me on all that I said. Just on the past year I have sold 378 items on ebay. All but 2 of the were shipped USPS, and probably 99% of that was Priority (not including international), and of those, all but 4 got there in the 2-3 day average. Two took 4 days, one too 5 days, and one took 7 days (business days).

I do not hand write my address labels. I use self-adhesive labels with one piece of clear tape across the To & From addresses. On international packages, I also hand write the addresses on the box, in addition to the printed label.

To the OP - You should not refund the buyer a penny. You have a tracking number that is active in the USPS system. You just need to tell the buyer to be patient. Even if he were to open a case, it's too early, and the tripod will be delivered long before ebay/paypal give him any money back. Never, never, never promise some type of guaranteed delivery time, unless you are using a truly guaranteed delivery service. Did I say never?

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links

9,875 views & 2 likes for this thread
USPS Mess
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.