Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 09:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

To TTL or not?

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 26, 2014 09:21 |  #1

Hi all, I've never ventured in your section before as I am really not into flash photography. But lately I've been getting into macro and I believe a flash would be a great addition.

Even tho I've been here a number of years. I still haven't leaned much about photography.
I'm most comfortable in AV mode but because of doing macro. I'm starting to try out manual but not very proficient with it yet.

I found a local store that carries the Yongnuo YN-560III (Manual) and YN-565EX (TTL). So with my background, which one should I get? It's a $70 question.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I guess my main reasoning is that if I go manual. It will force me to learn to shoot more on manual mode. Whereas if I go TTL everything is done for me.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

sponsored links
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 26, 2014 10:03 |  #2

TTL is best used for distance to subject that changes or you need a fast shot.

Manual is best used when the distance to subject is static, such as in a studio.

You should learn how to shoot manually and using TTL. Both have their advantages and uses.

I would get the version with TTL. It's cheaper to pay for TTL now than buy another new flash later just for that feature. ($76 vs. $110)

You will find that flash photography opens a whole lot more and has an initial learning curve, just like learning photography. There is a lot to learn and master.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 26, 2014 10:26 as a reply to  @ Gregg.Siam's post |  #3

^makes sense.

I was just reading some articles on the net. And the conclusion I came up with was that even the most experience people do not use TTL. You have convinced me about variable distances and future readyness.

Thanks

My Photographic Gears.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 26, 2014 11:14 |  #4

Canajun wrote in post #16638143 (external link)
I was just reading some articles on the net. And the conclusion I came up with was that even the most experience people do not use TTL.

I don't know what articles you were reading but stop reading them. There are a lot of photographers that use ETTL when it's needed.....some that even use it when, I think, manual would be the better option.

As you dive deeper down the photographic rabbit hole you'll find that flash is an amazing tool and having a flash that can do ETTL and manual (the yn565ex) is like two tools in one. They each have their place, they each have their own learning curve, and its best to learn how to use both.

I beleive that anyone looking to get a first flash should get one with ETTL and manual controls. Get the 565ex.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,154 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 26, 2014 11:22 |  #5

For your first flash it really should be ettl. Even the most dedicated manual shooter will at some point get dragged into shooting a birthday party or some event style work where ettl is invaluable. For off camera studio work manual can be better but your ettl flash will do manual with a flip of a switch.

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 26, 2014 11:32 |  #6

If there was a cheaper version of a Canon DSLR that only had M mode, but not Av or Tv, would you buy it? I wouldn't and I feel the same way about flash now. I bought two manual flashes, that I still use, but wasn't sure if I wanted to delve deeper into flash so went cheap. I would now buy a YN-568 instead of the YN-560s that I bought.

If I were doing truly manual lighting, I'd buy moonlights instead.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 26, 2014 11:58 |  #7

Doing macro adds additional complications, since the speedlite may be at very close distances to the subject.

With ETTL the camera metering system does the flash exposure metering on a shot by shot basis.
With manual, you or either using your eyes and histogram or a flash meter to establish an exposure that you may use for several exposures. One is not better than the other, they are just two approaches to the same result.

Getting a speedlite that offers both options is much better than getting a speedlite that forces one to do only a single approach.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 26, 2014 14:28 |  #8

If you buy a flash with TTL capability, you can usually turn that capability off and you then have a manual flash.
If you buy a flash without TTL capability, you can't turn on something which isn't there.
Don't close doors by buying a manual-only first flash - keep the options as open as possible.
Each style has it's place, as others have said.
Another trite but true saying is "You never stop learning". We are constantly forgetting stuff, if we don't keep topping up we end up with totally empty brains. Then we can become politicians instead of photographers :rolleyes:
Good luck.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 26, 2014 14:31 |  #9

gremlin75 wrote in post #16638301 (external link)
I don't know what articles you were reading but stop reading them. There are a lot of photographers that use ETTL when it's needed.....some that even use it when, I think, manual would be the better option.

As you dive deeper down the photographic rabbit hole you'll find that flash is an amazing tool and having a flash that can do ETTL and manual (the yn565ex) is like two tools in one. They each have their place, they each have their own learning curve, and its best to learn how to use both.

I beleive that anyone looking to get a first flash should get one with ETTL and manual controls. Get the 565ex.

I think it's my fault. It got lost in translations. I over simplified what I've read. And it's not just one article. Again I may be over simplifying it but how about, they prefer manual for more creative control? ;)

Thanks for your comment I appreciate it. I've decided to get the YN-565ex

I'm not going to look for the others but here's one of the example:
http://www.strobepro.c​om …i-buy-ttl-or-manual-flash (external link)

My Photographic Gears.

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 26, 2014 14:40 as a reply to  @ Canajun's post |  #10

Thanks everyone for a very helpful advice. I've only considered the YN-560III because of the price. I'm glad you pointed me to the right direction.

My Photographic Gears.

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 26, 2014 19:25 |  #11

Canajun wrote in post #16638734 (external link)
I think it's my fault. It got lost in translations. I over simplified what I've read. And it's not just one article. Again I may be over simplifying it but how about, they prefer manual for more creative control? ;)

I read the article and disagree with the author. ETTL, once you understand what it does, is very simple and controllable.

And if suggest the YN-568EX because of the HSS feature. This is useful when you need a shutter speed a bit shorter than the sync speed and you don't need the full flash power.

bhursey
439 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 26, 2014 19:47 |  #12

Canajun wrote in post #16638734 (external link)

I guess that article writer has never shot a wedding. LOL. Get the ttl flash for fast moving run and gun use ttl. For static non time sensitive shoots off camera where your not constantly changing flash to subject distance use manual. With ttl you can get great results if you know what your doing I would say get the YN568EX. Note get the gen one NOT the YN568EXII because it has an exposure issue unless they have fixed that. If doing mission criticle stuff like weddings get a brand like a Canon 580exII or a 600ex

Cameras: Canon 60D and 20D
Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8, 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)Strobist: Canon 580EX II , 2X YN-568EX, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, Pixel Mago, 4x Cactus RF60 , Voeloon V760 and 331EX, 4x YN622C and (cactus v4, v5, V6)"
http://flickr.com/phot​os/bhursey (external link) | http://brianhurseyphot​ography.com (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 26, 2014 20:11 |  #13

It's a personal choice.

For macro, you only need manual and you're better off getting a dedicated ring flash. "Nobody" uses TTL with macro. ;)

If you can shoot slow, you can get by with a manual flash.
If you have to shoot something moving and have to get the shot, you need to get ETTL.

If you have more than one camera system, you're better off getting an auto thyristor flash because they usually meter quite reliably.

I shoot many other cameras which are not canon. And I don't shoot action, so I get by without TTL flashes. If I had to shoot weddings, I'd have to spend a grand for two ETTL flashses from canon.

IF younguo makes ETTL version and it's 30-50 bucks more expensive, it's a no brainer. Get ETTL as your first flash.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 26, 2014 20:54 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #14

^^ The rationale of having the flexibility of both manual and ETTL are very convincing. I was leaning toward manual as what you have stated (especially I probably only use it on macro and static objects with the occasional family events). But upon reading some of the comments. I now realized that having both is the way to go.

My Photographic Gears.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 26, 2014 21:15 |  #15

Canajun wrote in post #16639670 (external link)
^^ The rationale of having the flexibility of both manual and ETTL are very convincing. I was leaning toward manual as what you have stated (especially I probably only use it on macro and static objects with the occasional family events). But upon reading some of the comments. I now realized that having both is the way to go.

It's not clear cut.

If you move away from canon to sony r7 for example, ETTL will become useless and it's just money wasted. If you shoot for yourself, you might find auto thyristor enough. If you pick up film... same story.

If you go into strobist stuff, you want a manual flash instead of ETTL to use off camera.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links

4,903 views & 0 likes for this thread
To TTL or not?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.