Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 09:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

To TTL or not?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,156 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 26, 2014 21:18 |  #16

It's pretty clear cut. Spend a few extra bucks ands have a flash capable of both methods of shooting.

sponsored links
Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 26, 2014 21:25 as a reply to  @ post 16639739 |  #17

I would be the first to admit that I should spend more time learning the equipment rather than acquiring more equipment. ;)

This is purely a hobby and very far from what I do for a living therefore the flash does not have to be high-end. I don't think I will be moving into another brand any time soon as I have invested too much already on Canon.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 26, 2014 21:36 |  #18

Canajun wrote in post #16639772 (external link)
I would be the first to admit that I should spend more time learning the equipment rather than acquiring more equipment. ;)

You gotta try everything before you find what you like and what you don't.

Flashes can be rented. There's websites that do it if you want to try stuff out.

If you go with full manual, you'd need a flash meter as well.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 26, 2014 21:45 |  #19

gonzogolf wrote in post #16639751 (external link)
It's pretty clear cut. Spend a few extra bucks ands have a flash capable of both methods of shooting.

I agree with this advice...and those who have said the same thing in different ways.

I do a lot of macro work, with 100mm macro and MP-E 65, and use both TTL and full manual on a regular basis. But even with the flash on TTL I have the camera set on manual nearly all the time.

As the OP suggests, getting familiar with the tools available is the best path to mastery of any branch of photography.

Growing old disgracefully!

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 26, 2014 22:35 |  #20

Manual vs E-TTL is very much like Manual vs AF. If you've got control over the subject and you can take multiple pictures, there's really no reason for E-TTL, even more so if you're shooting raw as you've got extra room to correct in post. If you've got 1 chance to take the shot, then E-TTL is a must.

Also, since you're new, if you've got a subject that you can go manual on, then make sure to budget for light modifiers, i.e. a light stand, umbrella, and flash/umbrella holder. If you're shooting where you have control of your subject, you're going to be much happier with the soft light from an umbrella than E-TTL. On the other hand, a toddler isn't going to wait around for you to screw with all that. ;)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,204 posts
Gallery: 1640 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 27, 2014 11:29 |  #21

Canajun wrote in post #16637963 (external link)
Hi all, I've never ventured in your section before as I am really not into flash photography. But lately I've been getting into macro and I believe a flash would be a great addition.

Even tho I've been here a number of years. I still haven't leaned much about photography.
I'm most comfortable in AV mode but because of doing macro. I'm starting to try out manual but not very proficient with it yet.

I found a local store that carries the Yongnuo YN-560III (Manual) and YN-565EX (TTL). So with my background, which one should I get? It's a $70 question.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I guess my main reasoning is that if I go manual. It will force me to learn to shoot more on manual mode. Whereas if I go TTL everything is done for me.

Heya,

Get the one with TTL. Even if you don't use TTL, you get the autofocus assist beam on the 565EX that the 560II/III lacks. That's worth it. I have both of these flash units you're looking at. I bought the 560 first to learn. I bought the 565EX next for the TTL and assist beam. I use them both in manual usually still. I use TTL when I don't have the time to take a second shot.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

inkista
637 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 27, 2014 17:13 |  #22

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16639739 (external link)
...If you go into strobist stuff, you want a manual flash instead of ETTL to use off camera. ....

Well, unless you want HSS with radio wireless triggering. Or you're sick and tired of having to rip open that Apollo softbox every time you need to adjust a flash setting, and would prefer remote commanding. eTTL-II isn't just about automatic power setting--it can also be about getting the whole hotshoe protocol over wireless with, say, YN-622c triggers.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 27, 2014 17:44 |  #23

Well, that apollo softbox cleary seems to be designed for ETTL II

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 27, 2014 19:04 |  #24

inkista wrote in post #16642165 (external link)
Or you're sick and tired of having to rip open that Apollo softbox every time you need to adjust a flash setting, and would prefer remote commanding.

LOL, this is actually the reason I sold off my Yn560's to get another Yn568ex. Yn568ex + Yn622c = me not even having to move from where I'm shooting, let alone having to open a softbox, to change the flash power :D

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 27, 2014 19:11 |  #25

Given the capabilities of remote control via the ETTL triggers and ETTL speedlites, even for those choosing to always shoot in M mode, I find it hard to justify the manual speedlites and triggers available.

There are manual remotely controlled lights, the Godox/Cheetahs for example, that offer more power than speedlites.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 27, 2014 20:04 |  #26

dmward wrote in post #16642485 (external link)
Given the capabilities of remote control via the ETTL triggers and ETTL speedlites, even for those choosing to always shoot in M mode, I find it hard to justify the manual speedlites and triggers available.

There are manual remotely controlled lights, the Godox/Cheetahs for example, that offer more power than speedlites.

3x 560s IIIs and a 603 can be had for under 250$. The key part about that sentence is 250$.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 27, 2014 22:03 |  #27

The $250 becomes insignificant about the second or third time I have to keep a subject waiting while I go over to a light, change its power setting, go back to shooting position take a shot and then, looking at the LCD realize I have to go over to change the power yet again. :-)

Especially when getting the YN-622s and Yongnou YN-565 ETTL speedlites isn't that much more. $330 for the lights and $165 for 4 YN-622 transceivers.
That's about twice the investment for well more than twice the benefit.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 27, 2014 22:32 |  #28

dmward wrote in post #16642937 (external link)
The $250 becomes insignificant about the second or third time I have to keep a subject waiting while I go over to a light, change its power setting, go back to shooting position take a shot and then, looking at the LCD realize I have to go over to change the power yet again. :-)

Especially when getting the YN-622s and Yongnou YN-565 ETTL speedlites isn't that much more. $330 for the lights and $165 for 4 YN-622 transceivers.

I just stopped screwing around with flash and started using natural light or simply bouncing it off camera.

Without modeling lights it's too much of a guessing game.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 27, 2014 22:44 |  #29

dmward wrote in post #16642937 (external link)

You're viewing it from a professional's viewpoint, not a hobbyist. If you're a pro, there's a huge difference as your clients arent' going to put up with the extra time as they're probably paying you a 100$+ an hr. Then again, if you're a better pro you'd get it right on the second try and wouldn't need a third or fourth :p :lol:

Green ­ Li
753 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 28, 2014 04:11 |  #30

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16638082 (external link)
TTL is best used for distance to subject that changes or you need a fast shot.

Manual is best used when the distance to subject is static, such as in a studio.

You should learn how to shoot manually and using TTL. Both have their advantages and uses.

I would get the version with TTL. It's cheaper to pay for TTL now than buy another new flash later just for that feature. ($76 vs. $110)

You will find that flash photography opens a whole lot more and has an initial learning curve, just like learning photography. There is a lot to learn and master.

well put!
+1

PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com – photo tips, photography reviews (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Google (external link)+

sponsored links

4,909 views & 0 likes for this thread
To TTL or not?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.