Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 Jan 2014 (Saturday) 23:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

USPS Mess

l89kip
582 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 26, 2014 21:33 |  #31

I rented two books from Amazon last Sept. Amazon provided USPS return labels for the book return. I returned the books on December 21, 2013. They supposed to arrive December 29.

On Jan. 2, I received an email note from Amazon that one of the two was received. I checked USPS tracking of the two books. Both books were still shown "on transit" and the last available tracking location date is December 28. I called Amazon last week asking what I should do. I was told not to worry as the tracking information shown I did return.

Anyway, as of today, 36 days after I shipped the two books, USPS tracking still shows that the two books are "transit".

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

sponsored links
mpix345
Goldmember
2,849 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 26, 2014 22:09 |  #32

thinkharder wrote in post #16639321 (external link)
I agreed its the Seller responsibility to get the insurances not the buyer.

I don't even deal with sellers who want me to pay for insurance. It's not about the money - the bottom line purchase price is the bottom line. It's about "getting it". Sellers need to understand that they are responsible to get me the item I purchased. If there is an issue with the shipper they need to deal with it, as they contracted the shipment.

A seller who wants to pass that off to me as a buyer is a seller who I assume will not be very responsible for his part of the transaction.

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 26, 2014 22:35 |  #33

mpix345 wrote in post #16638581 (external link)
grow up please

Ha ha didnt Mean to send all caps. sorry .. USPS still Suksss
We have had a time with our carrier. she got caught rifleing mail and we were asked to sign affidavits to state our findings . (she was caught opening , and contacting our customers asking what we did as a business) The UPWA would not let us take it to court
saying they would handle it themselves, she got fired but the UsPs is as crooked as the
carlito crime family

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 26, 2014 22:44 |  #34

I also had last year an ebayer send me a lowe pro bag from Canada I paid for 3 day Priority USPS
It showed for 3 days..... Shipper preparing shipment....
on the 5th day it arrived after I complained to the shipper he says he shipped the same day and faxed me a copy of the canadian claims ticket .it never showed in transit or nothing...just shipper preparing shipment... Lame....

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 27, 2014 07:08 |  #35

grayline wrote in post #16639984 (external link)
I also had last year an ebayer send me a lowe pro bag from Canada I paid for 3 day Priority USPS
It showed for 3 days..... Shipper preparing shipment....
on the 5th day it arrived after I complained to the shipper he says he shipped the same day and faxed me a copy of the canadian claims ticket .it never showed in transit or nothing...just shipper preparing shipment... Lame....

you're expecting an international shipment to arrive in 3 days?

did you pay that 3 day guaranteed shipping service? (USPS Express Mail now called Priority Express mail)

I don't get all the hate. Standard priority mail isn't guaranteed. Always use insurance/signature for expensive items. You're using USPS because it's cheaper so accept the cheaper service.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,651 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 27, 2014 09:47 |  #36

Rittrato wrote in post #16639222 (external link)
Your obviously not familiar with the buy and sell process in the free market. I wish it works that way, but not a lot of seller will cover your insurance. Once the seller ships the item, the responsibility falls in the hands of the courier to deliver the package, so If you want peace of mind, you, the buyer will normally cover it. Insurance is optional in almost every tangible item for a reason. It's not cheap and someone has to pay for it.

If your item is lost, and Paypal has proof the item was shipped but somehow is lost in transit. There's a good chance the buyer who penny pinched to save a few dollars will end up losing more in the process.

PayPal expects proof of delivery. Credit card companies expect proof of delivery. Unless you talked your buyer into paying you with cash, check (not "e-check"), or money order, nothing you've said is correct.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,651 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2010

Jan 27, 2014 09:52 |  #37

jt354 wrote in post #16637189 (external link)
I recently sold a tripod on ebay, which I shipped USPS Priority Mail 2-day to a buyer in New York. Five days have passed since mailing and the only update to the tracking information is the initial acceptance scan at the USPS office where I sent the package. I called the "customer service" line this morning and they told me that they are "looking into it," which I assume means the package is lost and will not be found. I have refunded the buyer's shipping cost because the item did not arrive in a timely manner, but am reticent to refund the purchase price - if the item DOES arrive, he will have no obligation to repay me and will get a free tripod, while I'll be SOL.

Anyone been in a similar situation? What are my options here? I have to wait 21 days before filing a claim with USPS, and somehow prove that I actually mailed the tripod. I didn't purchase additional insurance (though I will from now on), but the USPS site says all packages are insured up to $50, so I should be able to at least get that much back, right? And what about the shipping cost? They didn't exactly deliver on that service...

Seems that your post generated a lot of noise about how bad USPS is, how good UPS is, and how insurance is your friend, none of which is very helpful in your current situation.

Packages frequently make it all the way to their destination with nothing but an acceptance scan and a delivered scan. It's not a reason to think the package is lost. The weather has also been terrible along the east cost, with single-digit temps and plenty of snow. There was no need to refund the shipping cost, and it's way too early to consider refunding anything else.

Has your buyer expressed any concern? Have you heard from them at all?

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,762 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 27, 2014 10:00 |  #38

I ship with insurance/signature confirmation on anything of value. I always do it for the protection of the customer and seller. Hopefully in my case since it was a glitch in the zip code the package will get there with only a slight delay.

I didn't know it before but an employee at the local USPS stated that with priority shipping, as long as everything else is correct on the shipping label (excluding the zip) in this particular instance the package will still get delivered and not automatically returned to sender. Standard mail does get returned however.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,733 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 27, 2014 10:30 |  #39

I didn't realize until very recently that regular priority mail isn't guaranteed at all. I had something sent to me on a Tuesday two day priority (TN to MA). Took eight days. I was less than pleased, but wasn't the seller's fault.

To go back though, if there were an issue with the shipment and it didn't get to me, the seller should absolutely be responsible for refunding my money. If I agree to pay you $800 for something and you ask me to pay $15 in shipping, then I'm going to give you $815. If you fail to get it to me as described (i.e. if the shipper loses it) and you failed to insure it to make sure you were covered, why should I not receive my $815 back when the shipper you secured and paid for services failed to get an item to me?

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,399 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 27, 2014 11:48 |  #40

It is the shippers responsibility to insure the shipment. If the item does not arrive or it is damaged in shipping, it is the shippers responsibility to file a claim so they will be compensated fo the damaged product.

If you receive a shipment and the box is damaged, it is the receivers responsibility to note on the shipping document that the carton was received damaged and the shipment is subject to inspection.

If you are shipping a high dollar item, it is best to insure it. You should build this into the cost of selling your item.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 27, 2014 12:43 |  #41

moose10101 wrote in post #16640943 (external link)
PayPal expects proof of delivery. Credit card companies expect proof of delivery. Unless you talked your buyer into paying you with cash, check (not "e-check"), or money order, nothing you've said is correct.

Proof of delivery is not synonymous with insurance. You can still have proof of delivery without insuring the item.

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 27, 2014 12:45 |  #42

duane0524 wrote in post #16639264 (external link)
I may not be an expert in the free market, but I feel comfortable enough with it to say that I respectfully disagree with you. I don't understand why you say "no a lot of seller will cover your insurance", it is the sellers responsibility to ensure that item arrives not the buyers. Paypal will refund my money and debit your account if you sold me something that has not arrived, regardless of it being your fault or the courier. They will be looking for proof of delivery from you, not proof of dropping it off with the courier. If for some reason Paypal does not back me, I will contact my credit card company who will back me. This is why everyone who uses this site should only use Paypal paid by your credit card.

Shipping, Paypal fees and insurance are all part of the cost of doing business, if you want to trim some of the costs as a seller, then it is a risk that you are taking. Personally, I build all of those into the price I set for an item I am selling.

You can disagree and that's fine, but pick a thread on the FS forum and ask them if insurance is included, I'm willing to bet their answer would be a "resounding" NO. In which case you will either pay for it, or if the seller is gracious enough, he will split it up with you.

Of course there are sellers like me who insures high ticket items, but that's for my peace of mind.

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 27, 2014 12:49 |  #43

KirkS518 wrote in post #16639716 (external link)
Completely incorrect. If a "DELIVERED" scan to the recipient's zip code is not shown, the buyer can, and will get his money back from Paypal or ebay.

What's completely incorrect? If the item is "delivered" which could also mean it was simply left at your front door, and someone stole it in front of your door. What's your recourse?

The tracking after all, says it was "delivered"

This is why insurance is necessary if you value your item.

kacebelle
305 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 27, 2014 12:55 |  #44

Rittrato wrote in post #16641452 (external link)
You can disagree and that's fine, but pick a thread on the FS forum and ask them if insurance is included, I'm willing to bet their answer would be a "resounding" NO. In which case you will either pay for it, or if the seller is gracious enough, he will split it up with you.

Then it's the seller who will lose, not the buyer. If there is no proof of delivery, historically PayPal and credit card companies side with the buyer. Every time.

My Stuff | My flickr (external link) |My Website (external link)| My Blog (external link) | My Feedback

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 27, 2014 13:07 |  #45

Rittrato wrote in post #16641452 (external link)

Of course there are sellers like me who insures high ticket items, but that's for my peace of mind.

I am not disagreeing that folks ask buyers to pay for insurance, but at the end of the day it protects the seller. If the buyer says I am not paying for it and the item gets lost, the seller is out the money.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

sponsored links

9,880 views & 2 likes for this thread
USPS Mess
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.