Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 05:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to Landscape Photography

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 18, 2014 02:07 |  #31

In addition to using filters as mentioned above, if the sun is just out of frame you can shade the lens, with a lens hood or just shadow the lens with your hand, this will improve contrast and help reduce flare.

Alternatively when the sun is in frame you could do several exposures and blend them together in Photoshop. ( i.e. if you under expose the sky the sun will glow/flare less)

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

sponsored links
markisclueless
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 19, 2014 09:28 |  #32

Thanks all for your helpful comments - loads of great advice that I will put to the test

Canon 7D mk2 | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II | Canon 400mm DO IS II

markisclueless
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 27, 2014 12:59 |  #33

I am happy to report that my landscape shots over the weekend improved dramatically due to the advise received in this thread - THANKS
I could not resist and bought a Hoya NDx400 filter for my 10-22mm, now I need to work on my exposures.
I have read the various threads, saying I need to expose for the shot without ND filter, then put the filter on and the step back the SS to compensate for darkness.
So, for example my shot was as follows without ND filter:
20mm
ISO 100
F11
SS 1/125

What would I change to compensate for the loss in F stops (I obviously want ISO as low as possible and F11 - F13) ?

thanks

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,226 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 27, 2014 15:49 |  #34

markisclueless wrote in post #16641492 (external link)
I am happy to report that my landscape shots over the weekend improved dramatically due to the advise received in this thread - THANKS
I could not resist and bought a Hoya NDx400 filter for my 10-22mm, now I need to work on my exposures.
I have read the various threads, saying I need to expose for the shot without ND filter, then put the filter on and the step back the SS to compensate for darkness.
So, for example my shot was as follows without ND filter:
20mm
ISO 100
F11
SS 1/125

What would I change to compensate for the loss in F stops (I obviously want ISO as low as possible and F11 - F13) ?

thanks

Try and keep your ISO and f stop the same and increase your shutter speed by the number of stops your filter is. Once you go past 30 seconds you will need to switch to bulb mode and use a shutter release. So if you set your dial on your camera to be 1/3 stop increments then 3 clicks on the shutter speed dial is one stop. If you haves 10 stop nd filter click it 30 times etc. (Or click it as many stops as you can until you reach 30 secs and then do the calculation in your head for the remaining stops and use bulb mode)

Edit - I just googled your filter and saw it is a 9 stop filter so 27 clicks of the dial. For your example above 1/125 becomes 64 seconds (1/125 doubled 9 times). A bit of trial and error will tell you if it is 9 stops or not (my big stopper is 11 stops)

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

markisclueless
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 27, 2014 23:52 |  #35

xpfloyd wrote in post #16641967 (external link)
Try and keep your ISO and f stop the same and increase your shutter speed by the number of stops your filter is. Once you go past 30 seconds you will need to switch to bulb mode and use a shutter release. So if you set your dial on your camera to be 1/3 stop increments then 3 clicks on the shutter speed dial is one stop. If you haves 10 stop nd filter click it 30 times etc. (Or click it as many stops as you can until you reach 30 secs and then do the calculation in your head for the remaining stops and use bulb mode)

Edit - I just googled your filter and saw it is a 9 stop filter so 27 clicks of the dial. For your example above 1/125 becomes 64 seconds (1/125 doubled 9 times). A bit of trial and error will tell you if it is 9 stops or not (my big stopper is 11 stops)

Awesome - thanks a million - your explanations are always so detailed

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,226 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 29, 2014 04:10 |  #36

No probs. One more thing is that sometimes keeping your ISO low and your aperture where you want it for dof ends up giving you a very long shutter speed when you apply the 9 stop filter (i.e. a 2 second shot becomes a 1024 second shot). At this point you would make the decision to stand around for 17 minutes or increase your ISO a bit (or open your aperture). Generally I dont mind standing for 8-10 mins when doing night photography to keep the ISO low and minimize noise but any longer than that and I normally get bored and/or cold. Same would apply for long exposure ND shots

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 29, 2014 08:15 |  #37

xpfloyd wrote in post #16641967 (external link)

Or you can just use one of the many mobile apps that calculate the new exposure for you and provide a timer if that exposure exceeds 30 seconds. Very handy!

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,226 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 29, 2014 09:02 |  #38

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16646652 (external link)
Or you can just use one of the many mobile apps that calculate the new exposure for you and provide a timer if that exposure exceeds 30 seconds. Very handy!

good point! I use a phone app for dof tables but never thought of using a phone app for this - doh!

markisclueless
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 29, 2014 09:57 |  #39

xpfloyd wrote in post #16646774 (external link)
good point! I use a phone app for dof tables but never thought of using a phone app for this - doh!

That sounds like a plan! thanks

ejenner
Goldmember
3,840 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 30, 2014 02:06 as a reply to  @ markisclueless's post |  #40

A note on flare when the sun is in the frame. Sometimes relatively small changes in composition can make dramatic differences to the flare, particularly with wide angle lenses. So although you may not be able to get rid of it, you can sometimes minimize it, or put it somewhere where you can clone/heal it out but adjusting the composition slightly.

Sounds like with the rocks you just didn't have a choice. Flare was one of the main reasons I replaced my 18-55 kit with a 17-40 and then got the 10-22 instead of the cheaper options.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 30, 2014 10:05 |  #41

ejenner wrote in post #16649171 (external link)
A note on flare when the sun is in the frame. Sometimes relatively small changes in composition can make dramatic differences to the flare, particularly with wide angle lenses. So although you may not be able to get rid of it, you can sometimes minimize it, or put it somewhere where you can clone/heal it out but adjusting the composition slightly.

Sounds like with the rocks you just didn't have a choice. Flare was one of the main reasons I replaced my 18-55 kit with a 17-40 and then got the 10-22 instead of the cheaper options.

Better still, just use the finger trick to prevent flare entirely. Then you can compose however you like, with the sun as much in the frame as you like. While you're shooting, include a shot with your finger blocking the sun from the camera. That will give you one frame with no flare at all that you can layer over the main shot wherever flare is appearing.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 30, 2014 10:18 |  #42

xpfloyd wrote in post #16612518 (external link)
Some lenses have better flare control than others but like Richard says it cant be prevented fully. Lens hoods can help. Embrace the flare is what I say though :)

I use the Flare Buster to remedy that. Gone are the days of using my hand or a hat! :)

http://www.flarebuster​.com (external link)

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 30, 2014 10:43 |  #43

jdizzle wrote in post #16649864 (external link)
I use the Flare Buster to remedy that. Gone are the days of using my hand or a hat! :)

http://www.flarebuster​.com (external link)

How can that possibly work when the sun is actually IN the frame (which is the scenario under discussion here)?

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 30, 2014 14:52 |  #44

I realize this is a question that comes out of ignorance so my apologies in advance.

When using a film SLR, manual focusing was easy: it had a split focus circle in the focus screen. I was younger then and had no issues with it whatsoever.

I'm now 60 and am now wearing glasses so I worry about manual focus. Exactly how does one focus to infinity on a DSLR? Through the view finder? Using the infinity sign on the little focus window on the lens itself?

As I said, I know this is an ignorant question but I'm not following along. I guess I trust the auto focus more than I do my own eyes.... so that's also part of the problem.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 30, 2014 15:06 |  #45

Phoenixkh wrote in post #16650614 (external link)
I realize this is a question that comes out of ignorance so my apologies in advance.

When using a film SLR, manual focusing was easy: it had a split focus circle in the focus screen. I was younger then and had no issues with it whatsoever.

I'm now 60 and am now wearing glasses so I worry about manual focus. Exactly how does one focus to infinity on a DSLR? Through the view finder? Using the infinity sign on the little focus window on the lens itself?

As I said, I know this is an ignorant question but I'm not following along. I guess I trust the auto focus more than I do my own eyes.... so that's also part of the problem.

I typically use Live View and zoom in 10x wherever I want to focus. I also sometimes just go by the markings on the lens, especially when I'm focus bracketing. It's important to test just how accurate the infinity marking is on any recent model of lens because the markings these days aren't what they used to be.

sponsored links

10,054 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to Landscape Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.