Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Jan 2014 (Monday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gobos from Goboman-No Thanks

StanNJ1
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 27, 2014 18:07 |  #1

I placed an order for nine gobos from Goboman in California and was not at all impressed with the company's way of dealing with their customers.

I was about to place the order about two weeks ago but thought that the shipping fees were high for something so small and light so I held off the order and sent them an email asking why so high and wondered if they could just be sent regular mail in an envelope. I received no reply.

The next day I called during business hours and left a message. I received no reply.

I decided to place the order anyway.

Afterwards I notice on their website that there is free shipping on orders over $60+-, which mine was, but I was charged shipping anyway.

I sent another email asking how I could have the shipping fees reversed. I received no reply.

I called two days later and had a conversation with a rude woman who was quick to point out that it was my fault.

She said she would check to see if the fee could be reversed and she left it at that. She didn't offer any information on how she planned on following up with me. This is poor customer service in my opinion.

I suggested that if they couldn't issue a refund (not asking for anything special here, this is their shipping offer) that they could instead send me one additional Gobo and we'll call it even. One or two days later I received an email telling me that they will take my suggestion of the extra Gobo BUT that they really didn't have to (paraphrasing). Surprisingly, they were sending one of "Their Choosing". Who does that?

Today my order arrived and the one that they chose, out of the 500+ in their inventory, was a duplicate of one of the ones I ordered.

I called to tell them that I wasn't very happy with my experience and that I felt this was done in spite. The woman that I spoke to (nicer one than the first one) said I could mail it back and they would give me a credit for one.

I think I'll just keep it as a reminder to make my future Gobo purchases elsewhere.

1DX, ID MKIII, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 100 macro, 600EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT, Einsteins, Kacey Beauty Dish with a cracked grid, yada yada
www.stansphotos.com (external link)
www.Facebook.com/LikeS​tansPhotos (external link)

sponsored links
abbadon31
Goldmember
4,949 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 27, 2014 18:16 |  #2

This is why i like Larson
http://larson-ent.com/ (external link)

I AM SHOM

StanNJ1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 27, 2014 18:23 |  #3

abbadon31 wrote in post #16642319 (external link)

Well that says a lot considering that you also live in California and would rather order from a vendor in Florida. But I didn't see Gobos on Larson's site.:confused:

1DX, ID MKIII, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 100 macro, 600EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT, Einsteins, Kacey Beauty Dish with a cracked grid, yada yada

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,949 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 27, 2014 18:38 |  #4

Oh your taking about smaller gobos I use their black reflects as gobos too block light

I AM SHOM

J ­ Michael
974 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 27, 2014 19:06 |  #5

I thought Larson was having issues with fulfillment. Did they get that sorted out?

windpig
Chopped liver
14,998 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 27, 2014 19:07 |  #6

Hey Scott, have you tried a set of their louvers?

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

jmaher
571 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 27, 2014 20:06 |  #7

I would guess Larson is still having issues as I just checked their web site and they are still advertising the 12/2/13 special.

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 27, 2014 20:15 |  #8

Had to look... I was thinkin What The TRUCK is a GOBO?

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

StanNJ1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 27, 2014 20:15 |  #9

So in hindsight, shame on me for not ordering from B&H where I've never had a bad experience and instead went with a cheaper vendor. And shame on Goboman for chasing away a customer with poor service and a few measly dollars.

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,949 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 27, 2014 21:51 |  #10

windpig wrote in post #16642478 (external link)
Hey Scott, have you tried a set of their louvers?

No Ralph
I think its a little much for corrugated plastic and some pivot pins that I can cut my self and do the same thing. Corrugated plastic cost about 12.00 for a 4x8 sheet and round stock cost about 1.00 ft. Their umbrellas and reflectors are the boom. All aluminum construction and built like a tank compared to cheap flimsy style umbrellas.

I AM SHOM

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,359 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 28, 2014 16:49 |  #11

abbadon31 wrote in post #16642319 (external link)

Horrible advise

Larson enterprises is the last company you should do business with. Husband/wife going through some type of seperation/divorce. Numerous complaints against the company filed with florida attorney generals office ( myself included) for money taken and no products delivred or wrong products delivered. No One at the company now for 3 months that will return calls. It appears Numerous people have been ripped off.

Stay away

Someone got on their FB page and removed all the negative comments about whats going on. Im going through the dispute process with my bank now. I got screwed by them for $450.00. There are a bunch in the same boat.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,949 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 29, 2014 14:27 |  #12

Sad they made great products.
I bought my stuff about 3 years ago and still looks and works like new.

I AM SHOM

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 29, 2014 20:01 |  #13

I have yet to figure a way to use that starfish(Larsen) modifier stash in a corner of the studio.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

sponsored links

2,271 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gobos from Goboman-No Thanks
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.