Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Jan 2014 (Monday) 21:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you do this trade? 70-200 mkii for...

genjurok
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2014 05:43 |  #16

I won't.

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

sponsored links
Edd1e
32 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 29, 2014 13:33 |  #17

[QUOTE=BFox549;1664277​9]Hey guys, a guy posted an ad on Craigslist wanting to trade some of his Canon gear for a 70-200 2.8L mkii IS. I bought one new during the Canon rebate and I've enjoyed it so far. It's a great lens but I don't know if I have reached it's full potential with the amount of shooting I do.

He is looking to trade his 5Dmkii (with "just north of 10k clicks" and grip as well as everything it did new), Canon 80-200 2.8L (magic drainpipe, with everything it came with new), and a g\Gitzo monopod with shoulder extension piece.

I'm not really interested in the monopod. Given the opportunity and you had the gear that is in my signature, would you trade your 70-200 2.8L mkii for his 5dmkii + $1000 OR 5dmkii + 80-200 2.8L + $500?

I was looking at image samples of the MDP and I was quite stunned. The only drawback for me is that it doesn't have IS (but the 2.8 will help around that). Getting the 5Dmkii would allow me to sell the 5dc for a decent chunk of change (maybe even the 7D too... I'd have to compare them.) Plus, I kind of like comparing gear and seeing whats actually worth it's price tag lol. But, I don't know whether to go in with a trade or not.

What drugs are you smoking? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Canon 1D Mark 3 Body, Canon 24-70mm f2.8, Canon 7D Body, Canon BG-E7 Grip, Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS, Canon 70-200mm f4 L, Canon 50mm F1.4, Canon 430EX II Speedlite, Manfrotto 055CX Tripod, Manfrotto 695CX Monopod, Manfrotto Heads, Lowepro Bags.

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 29, 2014 13:43 |  #18

nah, wouldn't do it!!!!!

l89kip
582 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 29, 2014 13:46 |  #19

Some marginal profits could be made if you do not care about the hassle. The quality of the gears that you will get is the wild card. I would not do it.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

Blubayou
366 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 29, 2014 15:32 |  #20

I wouldn't bother

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,062 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 29, 2014 17:09 |  #21

I'de do the trade: 5dmk2 + MDP + $500

5Dc to 5D2 is a substantial upgrade, and your getting a hell of a deal. A fast 35mm would fit nicely in your lineup.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 29, 2014 17:55 as a reply to  @ post 16643440 |  #22

I would never sell the lens you have if I had one. :(
U can use that lens for another 30 years, and you are exchaning it for a camera u will ditch in another 2 years?

Bad bad deal :p

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

Coffee400
48 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 30, 2014 23:52 as a reply to  @ Van Gogh's post |  #23

From a purely photographic pointof iew - i think I wouldnt do it. Trading that lens for an older body and older lens without IS just doesnt seem right. You say you dont think you are using the lens to its full potential - but I dont really know what that means. If you are enjoying using it, and getting good results, then it seems you are getting good use out of it.

From a business point of view, while some people have put up some numbers showing you could, maybe, make some small profit if you buy and sell and buy again, I am not sure it makes sense. If you factor in the risks - e.g. risk that the gear isnt in good condition or breaks shortly after making the swap, risks of trading with an unknown from craigs list, risk of not being able to get the right deal in the next step in order to make your maginal profit, and also factor in the opportunity cost - e.g. its time intensive to do the trade and then sell in the future, to me the marginal profit you could make is not enough to cover these.

I would hang on to your lens, and if you want a different body, sell some of your existing gear and upgrade your body.

ilovestarcraft2random
104 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 31, 2014 02:41 |  #24

I would do it.
Be sure to check the shutter count and verify lens/body operations as with any trade.
Making the deal gives you 900+ cash (post 5Dc sale) and a MDP to play around with. You can sell the MDP and pickup a 70-200 IS mk 1 or if you're happy invest in anything else that you want.

1Ds 3, 7D, 30D, Kiss x4, AE1 Program
20 2.8, 35 2, 40, 50 1.8 mk 1, 85 1.8, 18-270, 24-105, 35-350.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 31, 2014 03:46 |  #25

I would do it. Just make sure you meet INSIDE of somewhere, like a Barns and Noble. Not in the parking lot.
I tried buying a 100-400mm once off craigslist, met up with the guy and told him via text I was inside,
he said to meet him outside, I declined and "something came up"
When he was in the parking lot waiting for me to buy it. Way too suspicious!
Option: Take the 5DII, the drain pipe, and $500 cash.
If you miss the lens buy one used off here. Sell the camera for $1,000, buy a brand new 6D at $1500 and you got a free drainpipe.
Or keep it and sell a different camera.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 31, 2014 07:40 |  #26

In my experience, when someone is willing to part with things that they should be able to sell for more $$, it generally means that something is wrong with one or all of the things they intend to sell.

That said, and because all the things he wants to get rid of are out of date and unsupported, I would not do the deal. Let him sell his equipment and buy the lens outright.

InfiniteDivide, why would someone agree to come in and do a transaction inside another business? I have sold dozens and dozens of things (and bought) off crigslist and if you don't meet directly at a residence, the only other place has been a parking lot somewhere. I also wonder why you say you would have to meet inside when there are dozens of transactions made here every single day where neither party has ever met each other, doesn't have a clue where they live, and just trust that an item will be as described.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 31, 2014 08:26 |  #27

mikeinctown wrote in post #16652281 (external link)
In my experience, when someone is willing to part with things that they should be able to sell for more $$, it generally means that something is wrong with one or all of the things they intend to sell.

That said, and because all the things he wants to get rid of are out of date and unsupported, I would not do the deal. Let him sell his equipment and buy the lens outright.

InfiniteDivide, why would someone agree to come in and do a transaction inside another business? I have sold dozens and dozens of things (and bought) off crigslist and if you don't meet directly at a residence, the only other place has been a parking lot somewhere. I also wonder why you say you would have to meet inside when there are dozens of transactions made here every single day where neither party has ever met each other, doesn't have a clue where they live, and just trust that an item will be as described.

I was only relaying my own experiences, I have bought and sold many items on Craigslist as well as through Ebay. The way the seller seem more concerned with the price of the item, and weather or not I had all the cash, than with the actual features or condition of the lens he was selling.
I understood he would not take less than his asking price. I tend to be cautious in a transaction with a stranger involving $1,200.
I was not suggesting to conduct the entire transaction inside a store. I just let him know I was there, and asked him to meet up with me inside.
Then a few minutes wait and a text "something came up" I will meet up with you another time" When he was already in the parking lot 20 feet away?
If the seller cannot even meet face to face to 30 seconds, then do a transaction, it is cause for concern.
My experience as little to do personally with the OP's transaction. It is only a suggestion of caution given the large amount of gear / cash.
Most of us on this forum are stranger to one another. But the same applies to buyers and seller here, they offer to provide links to past transactions,
or to FM or Ebay accounts etc, showing their reputation, to build trust and help one another.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 31, 2014 11:40 |  #28

mikeinctown wrote in post #16652281 (external link)

In my experiance people are idiots and rarely know the current market value. They are very often willing to trade for items worth less than what they're offering. People are just as willing to try to sell you something that doesn't work for full price. The buyer should always beware.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 31, 2014 12:10 |  #29

vengence wrote in post #16652818 (external link)
In my experiance people are idiots and rarely know the current market value. They are very often willing to trade for items worth less than what they're offering. People are just as willing to try to sell you something that doesn't work for full price. The buyer should always beware.

The buyer should always beware, yes. In the case of this specific equipment, the buyer is looking for a lens he knows costs x amount and he has a clue as to what he can offer in trade, so he does have an idea of value. however, as others pointed out, he is getting rid of old stuff for something new. Maybe I'm jaded because of deals that have not worked out, but in trades a lot of people (thankfully never here) overestimate their product's value or the condition that it is in.

a couple years back I bought an RC car motor and speed control for my kid's truck. Was advertised as great condition, nothing wrong. The thing looked like it fell out of their car and got run over on the highway! :lol::lol:

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 31, 2014 12:48 |  #30

mikeinctown wrote in post #16652889 (external link)
The buyer should always beware, yes. In the case of this specific equipment, the buyer is looking for a lens he knows costs x amount and he has a clue as to what he can offer in trade, so he does have an idea of value. however, as others pointed out, he is getting rid of old stuff for something new. Maybe I'm jaded because of deals that have not worked out, but in trades a lot of people (thankfully never here) overestimate their product's value or the condition that it is in.

a couple years back I bought an RC car motor and speed control for my kid's truck. Was advertised as great condition, nothing wrong. The thing looked like it fell out of their car and got run over on the highway! :lol::lol:

Very true. At the same time, you can't say that the 100$ bill lying on the ground can't be a real 100$ bill because someone would have picked it up by now. It's worth at least bending over to check.

sponsored links

3,856 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you do this trade? 70-200 mkii for...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.