Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jan 2014 (Monday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Was I naive or just stupid or both?

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 28, 2014 05:47 |  #31

Furlan wrote in post #16643446 (external link)
Just for the record if you read the back of the can uses are listed in this order.
1- Lubricates
2- Protects
3- Penetrates
4- Displaces Moisture

They are full of crap and just using marketing nonsense. Scatterbrained is correct. WD40 is only used for displacing moisture and probably to most misused product on the market. Anyone that has used a real lubricant can tell the difference.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Waldemar ­ Sikorski
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 28, 2014 06:29 |  #32

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

http://wd40.com/faqs/ (external link)

So...maybe he was trying to be helpful but didn't know the details.

Val.
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/sikorskienator (external link)
Picasa albums organized by bird species. (external link)
7D gripped, 40D gripped....100-400L Yes, it's taken with the Sigma 150-500.

phreeky
Goldmember
3,504 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 28, 2014 07:09 |  #33

I doubt the cameras are write-offs, but they may need some new parts. Did you really hit the 16-35 with WD40 as well? How much did you spray into each item?

You're too trusting. Not necessarily because people generally like to trick you into ruining your gear, but you're too trusting of a stranger to tell you "I don't know" if they don't - people tend to give a best-guess when they don't know. You'll see it on POTN all the time, people telling others why their images are soft for example despite there often clearly being insufficient information to determine the cause.

I'd either send them to Canon and cross your fingers or have a go at repairing yourself if you feel capable of such a task. Good luck, it's not a nice story.

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 28, 2014 07:14 |  #34

WD40 can be a lubricant because it actually does leave an oily residue. The only thing I ever used it in was my bike and skateboard bearings when growing up, and it always helped. It's considered a do-all for mechanical devices, but it's important to check, double check, triple check and more before using it.

I just googled "using WD40 on a camera" and got a page half-filled with Don't do it.

Live and learn. Learn and live.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 28, 2014 07:20 |  #35

The lesson here is also not to let mud anywhere near the camera. Then there's no need to worry about whether or not to use WD40.

No explanation has been given about how the mud got into the working parts unless I've managed to miss a post.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2014 07:22 |  #36

Lowner wrote in post #16643592 (external link)
The lesson here is also not to let mud anywhere near the camera. Then there's no need to worry about whether or not to use WD40.

No explanation has been given about how the mud got into the working parts unless I've managed to miss a post.

In the right conditions I can see it happening pretty easily.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 28, 2014 07:25 |  #37

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16643594 (external link)
In the right conditions I can see it happening pretty easily.

I've been to some pretty wet F1, Superbike and MotoGP events in my time and underfoot has been VERY muddy. But how anyone allows the camera to get anywhere near that mud amazes me.

Richard

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2014 07:29 |  #38

Lowner wrote in post #16643604 (external link)
I've been to some pretty wet F1, Superbike and MotoGP events in my time and underfoot has been VERY muddy. But how anyone allows the camera to get anywhere near that mud amazes me.

Spend some time at a muddy motorcross event, or a muddy enduro/hare scrambles event where you're schlepping your camera gear through the woods while the bikes are ripping by flinging mud everywhere. ;)

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 28, 2014 07:38 |  #39

Here is the deal. WD-40 is a penetrative ultra low viscosity fluid designed to flow into places and drive out moisture. It unintentionally does a lot of other stuff, as it penetrates and pushes out moisture it also pushes out just about everything else (cleans) and it leaves a thin oil behind (lubricates). However if you have ever used say a good 3 in 1 oil on a door hinge vs WD-40 you can tell right away which one is actually a lubricant and which one just has lubricating properties.

In electronics it is a horrible idea because of the penetrative nature of the fluid. It will work its way around the seals and into the electronics, causing shorts and all kinds of other problems.

If you have insurance you could try to make a claim if it covers accidental damage. They may or may not honor it - they will almost certainly drop your coverage if they pay out the claim.

It would probably be worth a trip to Canon to see if they can repair the damaged areas if the WD-40 has only affected the top switches and not the major electrical components of the camera.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 28, 2014 07:48 |  #40

WD40 is made of fish oil. Similar to the fish oil used as 10 year warrantee for under carriage rust proofing for automobile.

It is the petroleum based propellant which damages plastic.

I doubt that it will write the camera off. Please send it in to a qualified repair center. The only thing is that mud comes with water which may have entered through other parts of the camera and not necessarily the iso button.

Was your camera gripped?

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 28, 2014 07:51 |  #41

oooo, I just saw the part about the 16-35. That's bad. It will work it's way through the lens and likely find the elements at some point and coat them in oils if it hasn't already. It has weather sealing...but WD-40 was designed to get around seals and drive out water, so it tends to find it's way through everything.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Chopper ­ Al
743 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 28, 2014 08:01 |  #42

Depending on which buttons were affected, you could just buy replacement parts off of eBay and replace them yourself (or someone you know)

For instance, here is a new Canon 7D back with buttons for $70.
http://www.ebay.ca …ories&hash=item​4d16e329b5 (external link)

And here is a 7D top with buttons for $60.
http://www.ebay.ca …ories&hash=item​4d125f720c (external link)

Unfortunately, I didn't see the repair parts on eBay for the 5D mark III. But at least you could repair one camera fairly cheaply.

And if you are going to just trash the 5D3, I would be interested in getting it. Although, you could always use it to trade in through Canon CLP for a refurb.

If you don't have a rider or camera insurance, would house insurance not cover the cameras?

Or, since the 5D3 was bought new in August 2013, try sending it in for a cleaning and see if they do anything to fix the stuck buttons. Can't lose anything but the shipping costs.

Al

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 28, 2014 08:12 |  #43

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16643615 (external link)
Spend some time at a muddy motorcross event, or a muddy enduro/hare scrambles event where you're schlepping your camera gear through the woods while the bikes are ripping by flinging mud everywhere. ;)

I have, but I've still never let mud get onto anything technical.

Richard

jarski
94 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 28, 2014 08:15 |  #44

life is a lifelong learning experience. sometimes learning costs. but its still learning :)

by posting this thread, perhaps op saved someone elses camera of getting WD40 bath too.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2014 08:24 |  #45

Lowner wrote in post #16643716 (external link)
I have, but I've still never let mud get onto anything technical.

Nobody just lets mud get on their camera, but accidents happen.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

sponsored links

13,170 views & 0 likes for this thread
Was I naive or just stupid or both?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.