Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem With My Camera in Auto

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 22, 2014 23:19 |  #16

cdifoto wrote in post #16627992 (external link)
Take it out of Auto. Auto is always problematic.

This!

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
16,099 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2014 23:22 |  #17

Actually come to think about it, it may better to drill off centre. Rather than resistance all the way around you are pulling up one end. Of course this all depends on how badly it is wedged in there.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 22, 2014 23:28 as a reply to  @ post 16628698 |  #18

if it can be removed easily put it in the freezer let it stay for an hour or two
then get a pan of hot water dip the botton in it and quickly flip it over and bang on a soft object. lenscap will be cold thus will shrink ,cup holder will be hot and expand ..
its an old bar trick( two glasses stuck together)

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
16,099 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2014 23:57 |  #19

Might be screws on the side panel. Looks like if panel can be removed the holder might come out.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,667 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 23, 2014 11:27 |  #20

Use a hair dryer to warm an edge of the cap. Then try again to pry it up.

If that doesn't work, call Click and Clack.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,589 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jan 23, 2014 11:30 |  #21

Can you pry an exacto knife to squeeze the pinch button of the lens cap and make a small gap? If you can, tie a paperclip to a thread and push it into the tap. When you release the pinch button, the gap will close back down. Do the same on the other side. Then gently pull on the two threads side to side and pull the cap out.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Jumpdrive
51 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 24, 2014 23:32 as a reply to  @ Scrumhalf's post |  #22

Just use a plastic magnet. ;)

I like the hot glue route as it is reversable and won't damage the cap.

If you have a small enough nozzle, compressed air under the cap via one side combined with a little WD-40 sprayed around the edge first.

Hairdryer on "melt" setting and focus on the cupholder. A small bent wire may be able to be forced around one side. Harbor Freight sells cheap picks bent at different angles. One of those would be great. A heat gun would also work but you need to be careful as you really would melt the cupholder.

If you end up buyng something for this task it would be more cost and time effective to simply buy another lens cap.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 24, 2014 23:46 |  #23

Take it back to the VW/Audi dealer and get your money back.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

The ­ F ­ stops ­ here
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 25, 2014 00:12 |  #24

Drill an 1/8" hole though center of cap to relieve the vacuum suction , use a 2" or longer wood screw through the hole to remove it, reinstall cap and it now doubles as a pinhole camera mod.

Or, attempt above recommendations.

JD
Talent will get you far, but not as far as ambition
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lenzfreak/ (external link)
Smugmug-primefocus.smugmug.com (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 25, 2014 14:24 |  #25

Enjoy your new "canon ultrasonic" cup holder and use it as an excuse to buy one of the new center pinch caps!

Tedder
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 25, 2014 17:05 |  #26

My thanks to those who made serious suggestions involving drilling, hot-glue guns, coat hangers, and compressed air as well as to those who made comical suggestions.

The cup holder is not removable, so grayline's old bar trick would not have worked. That might prove useful to know in other situations, however.

I was, at last, able to remove the cap. After innumerable close calls with my needlenose pliers, I noticed the crosshatching on the tips of the pliers and roughed up the edge of one of the pinch thingees on the cap to increase grip at that end. After several failed attempts and plenty of irritation, I got lucky and the cap popped out.

Sadly, I've done this before. So maybe I'll get to try a hot-glue gun next time.

Tedder Stephenson on Flickr (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 26, 2014 04:37 |  #27

Sadly, I've done this before.

Keep something else in there. Maybe a real cup. My wife keeps ours stuffed with a packet of tissues.

Alternately, consider it a good excuse for a new lens with a narrower diameter.

Elie / אלי

Martin ­ Dixon
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 26, 2014 06:20 |  #28

Great title!

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link) www.slitcam.com (free slit-scan utility) (external link)

Tedder
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 27, 2014 16:14 |  #29

tzalman wrote in post #16637551 (external link)
Keep something else in there. Maybe a real cup. My wife keeps ours stuffed with a packet of tissues.

Alternately, consider it a good excuse for a new lens with a narrower diameter.

Thank you for the suggestion. My wife, who was with me on the photo outing, spent much of the ride home battling the cap with her fingernails, then a business card, and finally a nail file. I expect she'll have the cup holder covered next time we're out.

I hadn't looked upon this as a potential gear-accumulation tactic. But now that you mention it …

Tedder Stephenson on Flickr (external link)

MT59
248 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 28, 2014 08:56 |  #30

Tedder wrote in post #16642038 (external link)
I hadn't looked upon this as a potential gear-accumulation tactic. But now that you mention it …

Any lenses you need to update? Might see if you can get one stuck in the cupholder under the guise of trying to remove the lens cap.

5D2, 7D, 40D (all gripped), 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM, Sigma 8-16mm, Sigma 70-300mm

sponsored links

2,746 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem With My Camera in Auto
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.