Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 08:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Letter for non payment.

East ­ Ridge
98 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2014 08:52 |  #1

Hello everyone, I'm pretty sure that all if not most photographers receive payment before the session is performed. Since I've started charging I've let that go and hasn't been a problem until now. I have a brief letter written to be sent to the client. I was wondering if you guys would give it a quick read before I send it out and let me know what you think? Thank you.

I’m sending you this letter because I’ve reached out to you on two separate occasions. Dec. 09, 2013 letting you know your photos were ready and Dec. 30, 2013 wondering why I had not received a response from you. At this point I assume you have no plans in contacting me. You still owe me $$$$$ for the session fee. Because that work was performed that is what is owed. If there was anything wrong with the session or photos I wish you would have spoke up so I could have worked with you to make you happy with my services.

5DII - 5DIII 24-105mm L - 70-200mm 2.8 L - 50mm 1.4 - 85mm 1.8

sponsored links
JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 28, 2014 09:19 |  #2

Sounds desperate, and not formal enough. Never assume anything, especially when it comes to matters of money.

Do you have a contract in place? What were the terms of the contract? Who currently holds the assets?

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 28, 2014 09:19 |  #3

I would put together a more formal invoice, with a (past) due date, and send it certified mail.

If you've already given them the photos, you'll likely never see that money.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 28, 2014 09:20 |  #4

Just google demand letter samples. You should find one that sounds a bit more businesslike.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,310 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 28, 2014 09:22 |  #5

JacobPhoto wrote in post #16643913 (external link)
Sounds desperate, and not formal enough.

This!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 28, 2014 09:23 |  #6

I think you need to work on softening that up a bit! It sounds a bit accusing and crass. I'd go as far as sending the invoice again and attaching a brief letter saying something like, "Hello! I have not received your payment of $200.14 for your photo session, dated xx/xx/xxxx. Per the contract that was signed by both parties, payment is due at the time the finished products are received. If there are any questions or issues, please contact me at (xxx) xxx-xxxx by this date. Thanks so much!"

…then I'd change your methods to get 100% of the payment before the session is performed. ;)

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 28, 2014 09:47 |  #7

Do they have any of the prints? Downloads? If not, then just hold on to it until they do pay.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,109 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 28, 2014 10:09 |  #8

I echo the words of the other replies in here. The letter doesn't need to state how many times they have been contacted or when. If you need to take them to small claims, then you can tell the judge when you attemted contact. For this letter, just keep it to the facts of how much is owed and when you expect payment.

Also, was this for a business or person? It does manke a difference many times. (plus a lot of businesses won't pay in advance and require you to invoice them first)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 28, 2014 10:20 |  #9

No pay, no shoot.

Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 28, 2014 10:45 |  #10

As others have already said, I would take a different approach with your writing style. It needs to be more professional.

Bryan

My Gear List

East ­ Ridge
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2014 11:26 |  #11

JacobPhoto wrote in post #16643913 (external link)
Sounds desperate, and not formal enough. Never assume anything, especially when it comes to matters of money.

Do you have a contract in place? What were the terms of the contract? Who currently holds the assets?

Jacobphoto thank you for you response. Yes there is a contract in place. The terms were a basic layout of what the session fee would cost and what the photos would cost. I still have the photos.

East ­ Ridge
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2014 11:28 |  #12

nathancarter wrote in post #16643914 (external link)
I would put together a more formal invoice, with a (past) due date, and send it certified mail.

If you've already given them the photos, you'll likely never see that money.

nathancarter Thank you for your response. Thankfully I still retain all the photos from the session.

East ­ Ridge
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2014 11:31 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #16643919 (external link)
Just google demand letter samples. You should find one that sounds a bit more businesslike.

gonzogolf Thank you for your response. First time I've had to do this and wasn't sure what this type of letter was called.

East ­ Ridge
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2014 11:34 |  #14

madhatter04 wrote in post #16643931 (external link)
I think you need to work on softening that up a bit! It sounds a bit accusing and crass. I'd go as far as sending the invoice again and attaching a brief letter saying something like, "Hello! I have not received your payment of $200.14 for your photo session, dated xx/xx/xxxx. Per the contract that was signed by both parties, payment is due at the time the finished products are received. If there are any questions or issues, please contact me at (xxx) xxx-xxxx by this date. Thanks so much!"

…then I'd change your methods to get 100% of the payment before the session is performed. ;)

madhatter Thank you for you response. I like this Ideal a lot. Yes sadly this session has made me change my ways of when payment is due.

East ­ Ridge
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2014 11:37 |  #15

xchangx wrote in post #16644007 (external link)
Do they have any of the prints? Downloads? If not, then just hold on to it until they do pay.

xchange Thank you for your response. No I still have all the photos. That's were I draw the line if I haven't received any money yet. I do require full payment before I release any photos.

sponsored links

4,421 views & 0 likes for this thread
Letter for non payment.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.