Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jan 2014 (Monday) 15:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Was I naive or just stupid or both?

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 28, 2014 09:14 |  #46

EOS-Mike wrote in post #16642757 (external link)
By the way: I never answered the original question. Were you naive or stupid?

Neither. You're not naive and you're not stupid. You made a bad decision, and nobody else is to blame. Certainly don't pin it on men. Men are just wandering fools....like women. They say stupid things and make bad decisions. We are all responsible for our own decisions, regardless of who gave the advice.

I can't believe you brought out the gender card. Good grief. If you really believe that you are equal to a man then you wouldn't need to bring up gender in the first place.

You're either a good photographer or not. There's absolutely nothing about a man that would make him a better photographer than a woman, but the fact that you are thinking on the gender issue shows insecurity (in my opinion). Clearly you are concerned what the men around you think (and perhaps you are assuming what they think).

Stupid or naive?

Nope. Neither one. It might go much deeper.

And I'm surprised your friends in the camera club are so eager to loan you their equipment. Dirt and WD40 are both kind of bad for electronics.

I'm not imaging the male/female thing - some time ago, I was hiking with my husband carrying my camera (long lens). He was far ahead & I said to the couple coming the other way "he is a lot fitter than I am!".
The man looked at my camera and said - "yes - and he has got you carrying his camera as well!"

I just stood there stunned - couldn't believe what I had heard!

As a photographer, I am as good and better than many in my Club and have had acceptances in Internationals & other external competitions.

re the Loan - the photog went to the event with me- so knows how bad it was.

Agreed about insecurity - I think the younger women today are a lot more self confident than I am.

Men do seem better at b...****ting than women.....and I tend often to say nothing rather than publicly disagree.

Product of my age & upbringing I'm afraid...though I am working on it!

Gear List

sponsored links
hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 28, 2014 09:18 |  #47

Lowner wrote in post #16643592 (external link)
The lesson here is also not to let mud anywhere near the camera. Then there's no need to worry about whether or not to use WD40.

No explanation has been given about how the mud got into the working parts unless I've managed to miss a post.

This is an endurance race, about 2000 competitors & I was lying on the ground taking low-angle shots- incredibly muddy and lots of water splashes.

I had gloves on because it was so cold, and I think that while changing the iso, I pushed some mud off the gloves into the buttons.

I did have a plastic sleeve on my long lens and a poncho over both cameras when I was walking - but falling over into the mud didn't help!

Gear List

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 28, 2014 09:20 |  #48

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16643615 (external link)
Spend some time at a muddy motorcross event, or a muddy enduro/hare scrambles event where you're schlepping your camera gear through the woods while the bikes are ripping by flinging mud everywhere. ;)

Agreed - someone who knows what its like!!!

Gear List

hania
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 28, 2014 09:21 |  #49

jarski wrote in post #16643726 (external link)
life is a lifelong learning experience. sometimes learning costs. but its still learning :)

by posting this thread, perhaps op saved someone elses camera of getting WD40 bath too.

Thats why I mentioned it, knowing I looked stupid - but if it saves someone else.....

Gear List

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 28, 2014 12:41 |  #50

hania wrote in post #16643911 (external link)
This is an endurance race, about 2000 competitors & I was lying on the ground taking low-angle shots- incredibly muddy and lots of water splashes.

I had gloves on because it was so cold, and I think that while changing the iso, I pushed some mud off the gloves into the buttons.

I did have a plastic sleeve on my long lens and a poncho over both cameras when I was walking - but falling over into the mud didn't help!

Then the simple answer in future is either buy a camera designed to suit those conditions* (OR don't repeat the exercise).

* And before you ask: No, I have no idea what that might be either!

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2014 12:55 |  #51

Lowner wrote in post #16644470 (external link)
Then the simple answer in future is either buy a camera designed to suit those conditions* (OR don't repeat the exercise).

* And before you ask: No, I have no idea what that might be either!

I imagine the Outex case would work well. http://outex.com/ (external link) Beats having to replace the camera. :eek:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

l7s4
217 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 28, 2014 14:21 |  #52

hania...Make arrangements to send one of your cameras to a Canon Repair Center. If it's wasted, then all you'll be out now is the shipping cost. Until an authorized Canon Tech examines it, all is speculation.

Whether it is repairable or whether it too costly to repair is really the issue now. But the camera must be inspected before such a judgment can be made.

Please post back when you have that "expert/official" assessment.

Good luck, Paul

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 28, 2014 14:37 |  #53

Both. Especially for getting the camera that freaking dirty in the first place.

Gear List

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 28, 2014 14:46 |  #54

I'd probably go with a Pentax system which is well known for weather sealing. Just rinse it off in the sink and call it a day ;)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=p0nFu3dm-Gc (external link)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

A1original
Goldmember
2,135 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 28, 2014 18:25 |  #55

hania, I just wanted to let you know that all men do not have a negative attitude toward the female sex. I am an old dog, 66 year old male, and retired now, but in my long career in the manufacturing and engineering field, I have come across a lot of different people. Some of them were brilliant and others not so much, and they were both female and male.

I have followed this thread and it seems that some of the responses have a condescending air about them like: How could you be so dumb to use WD40? or How could you be so dumb to get your equipment muddy in the first place? To me that is the same as asking: How could you let that person run into the back of your car at the stop light?

In life Sh!t happens, and that's why they are called accidents. I can only hope that the person that gave you that advice just made a mistake, if not shame on him. Count this as a life lesson and do a little more research in the future.

Hope you can rescue your equipment.

Canon EOS R|Canon RF 24-105L|Canon 6D griped|Canon 7D II griped| Canon 7D griped| and a bunch of Canon L lenses
https//www.flickr.com/photos/​iseiler (external link) Ira “No one here gets out alive”

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,462 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 28, 2014 18:43 |  #56

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16643394 (external link)
I would see if anyone in the camera club is good at pulling cameras apart, and let them have a go on the cheaper of the cameras, the 7d. If they are able to fix things, then consider the same for the 5d3.

THIS!!!
If you were in my neck of the woods, I would gladly do this for you.
I have modified and repaired nearly 500 Canon DSLRs to date (from 300D to 5D3/1D4!)

Good luck! Use more common sense next time and when you see that guy just tell him the WD40 worked great on the buttons, but Acetone worked even better for cleaning up the camera body itself! ;)

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

john_galt
576 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 28, 2014 20:10 |  #57

any chance he was being sarcastic?

Gear: 5d iii, 17-40mm l, 24-70mm ii, 35mm 1.4 l, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm l, 70-200mm ii l, 600ex-rt

vsocks
172 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 28, 2014 20:40 |  #58

WD 40 is only good for squeaky hinges etc. Don't even use it on my guns as I believe there is a component of paraffin or something in it.....triggers have been known to stick afterwards.

Canon 6D, 70D, Rokinon 14mm, 17-40 F4L, Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 T* ZE, 50 f1.8, 85 f/1.8, Canon 24-105 F/4L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, Tamron 150-600 VC, Speedlight 430EX II, 12mm Extension Tube, Canon 1.4X & 2.0X iii Converters

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 28, 2014 20:45 |  #59

vsocks wrote in post #16645697 (external link)
WD 40 is only good for squeaky hinges etc. Don't even use it on my guns as I believe there is a component of paraffin or something in it.....triggers have been known to stick afterwards.

Again, it is not a lubricant. It's no wonder triggers would be a bit sticky after being flushed with WD-40.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 28, 2014 20:51 |  #60

Furlan wrote in post #16643446 (external link)
Just for the record if you read the back of the can uses are listed in this order.
1- Lubricates
2- Protects
3- Penetrates
4- Displaces Moisture

I am WD-40!

My Gear

sponsored links

13,172 views & 0 likes for this thread
Was I naive or just stupid or both?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.