Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Jan 2014 (Monday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adjusting your monitor after profiling to match your prints

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 28, 2014 13:50 |  #16

Not enough info. I don't even see mention of preferred/used apps in workflow. This could be almost anything; and certainly different answers from PS, CS, LR, etc. What's your workflow? Are you using multiple apps? Have you changed anything in the workflow that could have contributed to the issue.

You are correct that nothing should be touched after calibration. I don't know who you're talking to at WH, but they couldn't be more incorrect. This is likely a printer-side issue, if you have not changed anything. Did you try a reprint?

ScatterCr
384 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 28, 2014 14:12 |  #17

BrianAZ wrote in post #16644510 (external link)
DO NOT adjust the display to match their prints. You'll hose everything else you hope to match. You need to calibrate and profile the display, then you need an output profile of the device to soft proof in Photoshop.

Andrew Rodney Author "Color Management for Photographers"

While I agree that Mr. Rodney wrote that as a short response in that particular blog, he wrote a more complete explanation in this article in Luminous Landscape: Why Are My Prints Too Dark? (external link) Between the blog response that you cite and the article that I cite, there appears to be a conflict. In the blog, he says not to change settings. In the Luminous Landscape article, he suggests you may need to change the luminosity of the monitor.

For a different explanation, readthis article (external link) from the Xrite website. It explains the most common reason why prints end up too dark.

Erik
Gear | flickr (external link)

BrianAZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,550 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 28, 2014 14:42 |  #18

ScatterCr wrote in post #16644719 (external link)
While I agree that Mr. Rodney wrote that as a short response in that particular blog, he wrote a more complete explanation in this article in Luminous Landscape: Why Are My Prints Too Dark? (external link) Between the blog response that you cite and the article that I cite, there appears to be a conflict. In the blog, he says not to change settings. In the Luminous Landscape article, he suggests you may need to change the luminosity of the monitor.

For a different explanation, readthis article (external link) from the Xrite website. It explains the most common reason why prints end up too dark.

Good articles. I don't think that Mr. Rondney is conflicting, though. His responses are actually in line with each other. His premise is that if your prints do not match, you recalibrate (hardware) using different luminance/TRC/White Point values until they match. In fact, he talks about the NEC Spectraview II software that he uses for this purpose. Doing it in this way should ensure consistency.

What WHCC is saying is different. They say to finish the hardware calibration, and then manually adjust the monitor settings by eye until everything looks like it matches. This would make things inconsistent as the eye is not really a good judge of color, or at least is easily fooled. Plus there is no way to save any inputs as part of a set profile. There is no assurance that the next set of prints won't match your monitor again, or even that the colors you get after editing will be right.

We'll see how the test prints from the other labs turn out. If their product is a much closer match to what I see on my monitor, then I'll probably switch. I've never needed to use WHCC customer service before (because all my previous prints were very good), and they haven't impressed me at all.

Website (external link)
My Blog (external link)
facebook (external link)
Gear List

BrianAZ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,550 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 28, 2014 15:09 |  #19

amonline wrote in post #16644661 (external link)
Not enough info. I don't even see mention of preferred/used apps in workflow. This could be almost anything; and certainly different answers from PS, CS, LR, etc. What's your workflow? Are you using multiple apps? Have you changed anything in the workflow that could have contributed to the issue.

You are correct that nothing should be touched after calibration. I don't know who you're talking to at WH, but they couldn't be more incorrect. This is likely a printer-side issue, if you have not changed anything. Did you try a reprint?

Files are captured from a 5D Mark III in RAW, and editing machine is a 64bit Win 7 machine with a NEC 26" monitor. Files are imported into ACR as 16 bit files in aRGB, and finished editing in Photoshop CS5 as 16 bit file. Saved as a final product as a 8 bit jpg and converted into SRGB if for web, and/or if required by lab.

Website (external link)
My Blog (external link)
facebook (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adjusting your monitor after profiling to match your prints
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.