Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Jan 2014 (Monday) 19:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens/gear choice for trip to Germany

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 28, 2014 08:11 |  #16

I did parts of Europe with a a 20D, 11-18, 28-75 and a cheap 2x (worked ok on the 28-75 if stopped down just a touch, surprisingly). The 11-18 and the P&S in my pocket ended up getting the most use. If I did it again it'd be an ultra-wide, a longer small prime (i.e. 85 F/1.8 for APS-C) and a nice P&S. It depends on how you like shooting though.

sponsored links
justinbeisner
THREAD ­ STARTER
464 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 28, 2014 11:37 |  #17

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16643156 (external link)
Take off the grip, bring the zoom. If you have a gorilla pod or table top tripod, bring that, I definitely wouldn't lug a tripod around. I went to Germany/Switzerland for 3 months when I was 21 and I loved it, I really want to go back. I brought my 20D and Tamron 18-270mm when I went and I'm really glad I didn't have more gear than that.

Enjoy your time there, not just capturing the moment in a photograph, but living it. My time there literally changed my life, while a school trip likely won't be as profound, it's still a big opportunity and you shouldn't weigh yourself down with extra gear and worrying about catching perfect photos.

EDIT: Just realized you never actually said it was a school trip. May I ask the details of the trip? Family? Vacation? Just because...? :lol: (no answer would be wrong ;))

Well, we have some family friends there and they have been dying for me to come over for the past 3 years. It worked out with my school that they'd let me take two weeks off to go over as they see it as a 'cultural learning' type trip (definitely exaggerated it a lot, lol). I'll be staying in Bremen, but I'm given free roam basically of the whole country for day trips and such. Let's just say our family friends would be considered the 1% here in the states and want me to get the whole German experience.

Justin Eisner Photo (external link) - concert photographer and director.
Part Time Astronauts (external link) - a creative house and print making studio.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,587 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 28, 2014 11:59 |  #18

justinbeisner wrote in post #16644292 (external link)
Well, we have some family friends there and they have been dying for me to come over for the past 3 years. It worked out with my school that they'd let me take two weeks off to go over as they see it as a 'cultural learning' type trip (definitely exaggerated it a lot, lol). I'll be staying in Bremen, but I'm given free roam basically of the whole country for day trips and such. Let's just say our family friends would be considered the 1% here in the states and want me to get the whole German experience.

Awesome. In that case I'd definitely not weigh yourself down with gear. Get out there and meet people, experience the country/culture, you're the perfect age to do it!

I basically went there under similar circumstances. My father is Swiss and I was trying to claim my citizenship, the consulate here told me I'd have to go to Switzerland to have a shot at claiming my citizenship. Around the same time my sister was with her husband stationed in Bavaria and she welcomed me to stay there as a constant place for me to figure out my plans. In my travels I met dozens of people who remain friends, most of them I just met at random from talking to people. I stayed with them for days at a time over there and developed real bonds with them, then even deeper bonds with my newly discovered (for me) family in Switzerland. It was just a fantastic experience and it's honestly worth far more than any amount of photographs.

Also, for those who care, never did get my citizenship :( I would've had to visit the country 7 times a year for a few years and eventually serve in their military or do 2 years of community service there, which people on the base in Bavaria told me would've risked my citizenship here in the states.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 28, 2014 17:31 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #19

I don't know why people tell you to only take wide angle lenses to Germany. I lived in Germany for four years. I go back almost every other summer. I always carry a long zoom. There are so many things that you will want to bring closer. Sure there are times when you need a wide angle but you need a telephoto lens as well. Take a lot of pictures. You'll appreciate them 50 years from now.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 28, 2014 18:25 |  #20

Consensus seems to be ditch the grip. But I have big hands, and like it.
If you do leave the grip at home, then take the extra battery with you.
I've packed 3 lenses and a tripod on a trip, cut back to a SLR + 50mm and taken just a point and shoot with zoom. Today I'd go with the P+S.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 28, 2014 21:57 |  #21

I would like to ask the people who took their long telephoto with them, what it was that they shot? Particularly those folks who used it as the only lens. It is not a challenge, but a real question.

I travel to Europe often, and I used to take the 70-300 with me. I learn very quickly that I very seldom used it, a midrange zoom, now it is the 15-85 mm, is the most useful lens. I sometimes take an UWA 10-20, to assist the main lens. No grip, no tripod, no monopod - I just do not want to carry all that wight on my shoulders.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,587 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 29, 2014 02:10 |  #22

Lbsimon wrote in post #16645873 (external link)
I would like to ask the people who took their long telephoto with them, what it was that they shot? Particularly those folks who used it as the only lens. It is not a challenge, but a real question.

I travel to Europe often, and I used to take the 70-300 with me. I learn very quickly that I very seldom used it, a midrange zoom, now it is the 15-85 mm, is the most useful lens. I sometimes take an UWA 10-20, to assist the main lens. No grip, no tripod, no monopod - I just do not want to carry all that wight on my shoulders.

You sound like a prime candidate for a mirrorless system ;) Fuji is calling your name :lol:

I did have a few shots at 270mm with my 20D in Europe, but the overwhelming majority of them were between 18-100mm. If I were to go back today I'd probably take the X-E1 with the 18-55mm and a fast prime to compliment it (50mm equivalent, don't have one yet, but I'd definitely buy one for that trip).

flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

cmschmie
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 29, 2014 11:37 |  #23

Leave the grip at home but take the extra battery(ies). Take at least one plug adapter (US to EU). The charger should be compatible with 220.

Canon 70D / EF-S 18-135 / EF 70-300 / nifty fifty

Lbsimon
2,682 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 29, 2014 12:49 |  #24

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16646193 (external link)
You sound like a prime candidate for a mirrorless system ;) Fuji is calling your name :lol:

I did have a few shots at 270mm with my 20D in Europe, but the overwhelming majority of them were between 18-100mm. If I were to go back today I'd probably take the X-E1 with the 18-55mm and a fast prime to compliment it (50mm equivalent, don't have one yet, but I'd definitely buy one for that trip).

I have been shooting SLRs, on and off, since 1978. Sometimes for a couple of years going to P&S, but always going back to SLRs. I tried a mirrorless (my son's), but never learned to like it.

And you just confirmed what I said - a wide angle is more useful in Europe than a long telephoto. I would still like to hear from people who used mostly the telephotos - what it was that they shot.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,587 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 29, 2014 14:26 |  #25

Lbsimon wrote in post #16647429 (external link)
I have been shooting SLRs, on and off, since 1978. Sometimes for a couple of years going to P&S, but always going back to SLRs. I tried a mirrorless (my son's), but never learned to like it.

And you just confirmed what I said - a wide angle is more useful in Europe than a long telephoto. I would still like to hear from people who used mostly the telephotos - what it was that they shot.

You should try an X100s, has the option of using the optical viewfinder and also an electronic one. The Fuji sensors are really remarkable and so are their lenses. The X100 also has a leaf shutter for 1/4000 flash sync speed (and its dead silent) and a built in ND filter. It's the perfect walk around camera imo.

Lbsimon
2,682 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 29, 2014 15:22 |  #26

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16647711 (external link)
You should try an X100s, has the option of using the optical viewfinder and also an electronic one. The Fuji sensors are really remarkable and so are their lenses. The X100 also has a leaf shutter for 1/4000 flash sync speed (and its dead silent) and a built in ND filter. It's the perfect walk around camera imo.

But then people will be looking down on me if I do not have my camera with the white lens on it! :-)

I don't think I am going to switch to another system any time soon. Got too "embedded" in Canon SLR (well, I do have the S110 too).

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,587 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 29, 2014 16:17 |  #27

Lbsimon wrote in post #16647875 (external link)
But then people will be looking down on me if I do not have my camera with the white lens on it! :-)

I don't think I am going to switch to another system any time soon. Got too "embedded" in Canon SLR (well, I do have the S110 too).

That's the thing though, the x100 is a fixed lens camera, so you don't have to think of it as another system, just think of it as your 35mm lens ;)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 29, 2014 17:29 |  #28

justinbeisner wrote in post #16644292 (external link)

I would bring the 17-50mm as a general use lens while roaming the streets. And I would still bring the 85mm for portraits. The 14mm is somewhat wider than 17mm, but I wouldn't bother with it.

coogee
172 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 30, 2014 03:09 |  #29

I'd definitely take 85 to take pictures of people you meet, details of Deutschland and also maybe detailed landscape panoramas. Not everything in Europe is 'wide'! But it's great to have that option too for cities/architecture etc.

circles_of_confusion
66 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 05, 2014 14:56 |  #30

I'd go with the 17-55 and 85.
I always find a lot of use for a long tele in Europe, whether its for shots of interesting people, compressed views of that castle from a distance, architectural details or other objects you want to bring closer. You need a telephoto to finish telling that story that your wide lens started.

sponsored links

3,049 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens/gear choice for trip to Germany
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.