Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone use a NAS for storage?

paintcheck
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 26, 2014 16:59 |  #1

So, I've quickly ran out of room on my internal HDD (mind you I have six drives) for images that I've taken. I purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS 104 and so far it has been a breeze. It transferred all of my data in under 2 hours to the NAS, but a few points I guess I'm struggling to find good answers for.

1) It seems that you can't store the catalogs on the NAS (which is a really huge bummer, especially since I do everything on my workstation instead of a laptop) but I'm concerned with keeping the catalog on my local machine. I'm afraid it will get too large then I'll be fubared. I typically build my catalog with the smart previews. My question is: How large would a catalog really get if you are building smart previews? Do I need to worry about the drive running out space once I get a large volume of pictures or is it really not storing that much data in the catalog?

2) Has anyone actually edited their images across the network from the NAS into lightroom, or would the better workflow be to load them onto local disk as well as make a backup to the NAS, then do the edits on the locally stored files? Once the local images are edited back those up to the NAS?

Hopefully that made sense. Kinda made my head hurt trying to type it out! :lol: ha!

Thanks everyone.

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 26, 2014 17:15 |  #2

If your NAS is a network drive (I don't have one, so not sure) then no, you can't run your catalog across the network, Lightroom is designed not to "share" the catalog on a network drive.

Yes, you can put your images there, and if the network is "fast", fine, although I myself put my "working" images on an internal drive -- not the "system" drive, but a separate "data" drive. A lot of people use an SSD drive for this, they also put the LR catalog and the Camera Raw Cache on the drive for high performance. I don't have an SSD drive but am pretty satisfied with my internal "regular" drive, although I have older cameras with smaller files than the new-fangled ones...

After my short-term processing I move my images to an external "library" drive (the NAS could be fine for that), using Lightroom to move the files so that they are kept in the Lightroom catalog/database.

I also have a dedicated backup external drive, so copies of my images as well as my catalog can go on there. This is done outside of Lightroom.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Smitty2k1
224 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 26, 2014 20:07 |  #3

As stated the (relatively small) catalog file needs to be stored locally but keeping photo files on the network is fine, and what I do. Ensure you have it hard wired at gigabit speeds.

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 26, 2014 20:45 |  #4

I wouldn't fret about about the actual size of the catalog. I've got 174K photos and takes up 2.89GB. There's the corresponding preview directory and this takes about 100GB (for me). This has all your smart (and dumb) previews. Obviously, you want to make regular backups of the catalog. The preview directory is optional since it gets generated on the fly.

I suggest keeping the catalog on your fastest drive since there's a lot of "chit-chat" going on to this file every time you edit a photo.

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 26, 2014 22:20 |  #5

I've gone the way of the NAS too. I agree, it's disappointing that you can't store the catalog on a NAS. I was hoping to come across a way to mount the share as a folder in windows to 'fool' LR into thinking it was local, but haven't found a solution to do this yet.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,504 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 26, 2014 22:57 |  #6

Yes, you can edit your files directly from the NAS. Performance will depend on the speed of your NAS and network connection. I connect to my NAS via Gigabit Ethernet and my NAS can just about saturate the link. So performance is pretty decent. If you use a low-end NAS or connect over wifi, your performance will suffer much more.

I do initially import my shots to a local SSD then move them to the NAS within Lightroom when most of the work is done. I do this for two reasons: Working totally locally and from SSDs is faster and it keeps my online backup provider on the NAS (Crashplan) from attempting to backup raw files before I've culled them.

monty87
297 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 27, 2014 00:02 |  #7

You can use iSCSI if you want to leave your catalog on NAS (If you NAS provides that solution). Performance is much better than windows or nfs share, but you cannot share the iSCSI location with another computer. But I still would not recommend it. I like to keep my lightroom catalog on an SSD drive, and pics folder in antoher drive. and I use windows 8 file history feature to keep a copy on my NA,S and CrashPlan for cloud backup.

Monty - http://umang.photograp​hy/ (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 28, 2014 05:30 |  #8

My entire network is all 1Gbps so that shouldn't be an issue with the NAS and my workstation all QOS'd for priority traffic on the network.

Given that my workstation is the only thing that accesses the NAS, i think the iSCSI might work. At this time, I only have one SSD in my desktop and it's my primary OS drive, everything else are platter drives, Western Digital Caviar Black's. Would I see much of a performance increase by moving it to the iSCSI interface rather than on the platter drive locally?

Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

cmarion
46 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2014 08:36 |  #9

Lightroom aside, what NAS devices are you folks using? I'm currently set up with two 4T Buffalo Quad Pro Linkstations and am starting to get nervous that maybe I went with the wrong manufacturer. Anyone have any personal experience?

Chris
http://www.chrismarion​.com (external link)

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 29, 2014 08:43 |  #10

cmarion wrote in post #16646706 (external link)
Lightroom aside, what NAS devices are you folks using? I'm currently set up with two 4T Buffalo Quad Pro Linkstations and am starting to get nervous that maybe I went with the wrong manufacturer. Anyone have any personal experience?

I have the Netgear ReadyNAS104 4 bay filled with 4x1TB. it's been good so far.

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 29, 2014 09:10 |  #11

I used to store my original photos on a NAS and edit to and from the NAS, but it was a bit too slow (older NAS, with an Atom Processor). I invested in a GRaid 4TB drive with Lightning connector, and plug that right into my MAC, It allows me to put my Lightroom Catalog on it as well as my photos. I then backup my Photos and Lightroom to my NAS using Crasplan.

The nice thing about using the GRAid plugged into the Mac, is that I can share the GRaid and see in from my other computers locally. Still you can't share the Lightroom Catalog over the network, as others have indicated, but you do have pretty fast access to the images.

+1 for Adobe building a Network version of Lightroom (heck would love to put the Catalog in the cloud, and use it anywhere I am.)

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,941 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 29, 2014 09:59 |  #12

I run a Drobo 5N setup. I keep my current work on my internal HD and my legacy stuff on the NAS, loaded into LR.
The 5N will take a mSata card to speed up the access rate which I haven't added yet but will in the near future.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,504 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 29, 2014 10:32 |  #13

cmarion wrote in post #16646706 (external link)

Synology DS1512+. Its a 5 bay model with dual Gigabit Ethernet ports (only using one now). When looking at Synologies, you have to look at the performance charts on their site. The cheaper ones top out at ~40-50MB/sec or so. You want the ones that do twice that over a single Gigabit link if you're going to work from it.

monty87
297 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 29, 2014 21:49 |  #14

I run Freenas 9.2 on HP microserver N40L. 6x1TB hard drive in Raidz2. It has plugins to backup to crashplan, which I am currently working on to setup. There is also an iSCSI target setup for windows 8 file history which includes my lightroom catalog. Over GB ethernet, my file transfer averages about 80MB/sec

My lightroom photos are on external usb3.0 drive, while my catalog is on another external usb 3.0 ssd drive. That way I can do my edits on my workstaion at home and on my laptop while mobile, as both have usb3.0. (Both drives are mapped to same drive letter on both computer)

Monty - http://umang.photograp​hy/ (external link)

Smitty2k1
224 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 08, 2014 11:09 |  #15

My NAS is unRaid

sponsored links

3,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone use a NAS for storage?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.