Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 14:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My terrible Canon 50mm/EF1.4 first experiense

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 30, 2014 18:04 |  #46

Confused at why one would be shooting at TV? Try AV.

sponsored links
Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 30, 2014 20:28 |  #47

For fast action?

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 30, 2014 20:47 |  #48

Kanye wrote in post #16651391 (external link)
For fast action?

I highly recommend "understanding exposure" by Bryan Peterson if you believe that Tv is the way to get the highest shutter speeds...

erikfig
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 30, 2014 20:49 |  #49

Learn to shoot on MANUAL MODE :D

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 30, 2014 20:50 |  #50

vengence wrote in post #16651433 (external link)
I highly recommend "understanding exposure" by Bryan Peterson if you believe that Tv is the way to get the highest shutter speeds...

It's a question.

Also, why is Tv an included function in even professional cameras?

Let's be honest.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 30, 2014 21:05 |  #51

Kanye wrote in post #16651442 (external link)
It's a question.

Also, why is Tv an included function in even professional cameras?

Let's be honest.

The more you write, the more I'm convinced someone just needs to step up and buy you a copy of understanding exposure, it's clear you don't get it...

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 30, 2014 21:10 |  #52

For once Kanye has a point. TV is there for when you need a certain shutter speed in changing light and don't have time to adjust aperture in between shots.

I guess lots of people now rely on using auto ISO in M and specify the TV and AV.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,158 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 30, 2014 21:14 |  #53

vengence wrote in post #16651433 (external link)

What's the problem with using TV for fast action?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 30, 2014 21:25 |  #54

El Pedro wrote in post #16651482 (external link)
For once Kanye has a point. TV is there for when you need a certain shutter speed in changing light and don't have time to adjust aperture in between shots.

I guess lots of people now rely on using auto ISO in M and specify the TV and AV.

If you want the fastest possible shutter speed, you set your aperture to wide open and the maximum iso you find acceptable and you'll get the fastest possible shutter speed for the light. However, if instead you shoot in Tv and the light increases, the camera will stop your aperture down because of the increasing shutter speed and you'll be left with less than the maximum possible shutter speed. Tv is there for when you want a specific shutter speed, not the fastest shutter speed.

eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 30, 2014 21:32 as a reply to  @ vengence's post |  #55

In AV mode, I can set the aperture on my zeiss lenses with the optix chipset, which automatically sets the shutter speed.

In TV mode, the aperture I click will set the shutter speed

The TV mode is substantially darker for manual lenses without programming the real aperture
My guess is that the TV mode sets a quicker shutter speed

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,975 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 30, 2014 21:33 |  #56

vengence wrote in post #16651506 (external link)
If you want the fastest possible shutter speed, you set your aperture to wide open and the maximum iso you find acceptable and you'll get the fastest possible shutter speed for the light. However, if instead you shoot in Tv and the light increases, the camera will stop your aperture down because of the increasing shutter speed and you'll be left with less than the maximum possible shutter speed. Tv is there for when you want a specific shutter speed, not the fastest shutter speed.

When I shoot action, I don't want the shutter changing around on me, it's a guarantee that many shots will have blur. I will either shoot Tv with auto-ISO and EC pushed a bit to the right (or a specific ISO that will cause the aperture to go wide open if I care about that), or shoot in M to lock in both shutter and aperture, with auto-ISO. Av is the last mode I would select for things like basketball, hockey, etc.

I shoot at 1/1250 or 1/1600, at a high ISO like 6400. The aperture rarely goes over f4.

IMAGE: http://gerberphotos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-20132014-/i-KxRQcWg/1/X2/5P1B4276-X2.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,580 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 30, 2014 21:35 |  #57

vengence wrote in post #16651506 (external link)

I agree. Tv for me has been for when I want a specific shutter speed for the right amount of blur for a type of shot, like 1/125 sec. when panning on something quick for example. If I want the fastest possible shutter-speed I use Av and set my min-shutter speed to it's max limit, which on the 6D is 1/250 sec. I think. M would be my second choice... but I rarely shoot anything that's moving fast.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 30, 2014 21:47 |  #58

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16651532 (external link)
I shoot at 1/1250 or 1/1600, at a high ISO like 6400. The aperture rarely goes over f4.

So you're agreeing with me that you aren't shooting as fast as possible then? I'm not really sure what I'm not really sure what the take away from your post is suppose to be...

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,975 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 30, 2014 21:54 |  #59

vengence wrote in post #16651562 (external link)
So you're agreeing with me that you aren't shooting as fast as possible then? I'm not really sure what I'm not really sure what the take away from your post is suppose to be...

When do you need to shoot as fast as possible? What exactly are you shooting that you want as fast a shutter as possible? My point is that if you want to shoot at fast shutter speeds, you probably should know what limit you need, and work with that in Tv mode, otherwise you will have your ISO set higher than you really need and would be sacrificing ISO IQ. I am not really sure what you are saying. You said "why shoot Tv when shooting action, try Av". You gave no other parameters, and given what I shoot, that is the worst mode out of Tv, Av and M.

In any case, you may choose Av for that mode, but that is neither the best mode for all action shooting, nor are you going to convince everyone of that. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 30, 2014 21:59 |  #60

Has nothing to do with the lens...

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

8,679 views & 0 likes for this thread
My terrible Canon 50mm/EF1.4 first experiense
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.