Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The OLDER Photographers' thread...

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2014 07:39 |  #8686

Thanks Tony!

feedback

gear list

sponsored links
skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Jan 27, 2014 21:53 as a reply to  @ jay125's post |  #8687

Blimey....sorry Jay.
I really missed your birthday :(

Belated greetings, and hopes for a healthier 2014 from now onwards!

Simon

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 28, 2014 08:11 |  #8688

It's all good Simon. Thanks!

feedback

gear list

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,589 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 29, 2014 08:18 |  #8689

Jay sounds bitter.

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 29, 2014 17:07 |  #8690

Better...never bitter :p

feedback

gear list

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 30, 2014 20:32 |  #8691

Glad you are better Jay!

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Feb 05, 2014 21:46 as a reply to  @ karobinson's post |  #8692

In all that cold weather I'm hearing about, have you all died....or worse, become Nikon photographers?
;)

I'm beginning to worry about you all...

Calling all OLDER PHOTOGRAPHERS, check in please, so we know you're safe!

Simon :D

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 05, 2014 22:10 |  #8693

An hour behind a snow blower is not an easy thing to do for an OLDER PHOTOGRAPHER! :-)

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,796 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 05, 2014 23:07 |  #8694

I had jury duty yesterday and today. I was discharged on a peremptory challenge. One of the attorneys bounced me because I knew too much. Damn! This always happens!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 06, 2014 00:44 |  #8695

OhLook wrote in post #16667139 (external link)
I had jury duty yesterday and today. I was discharged on a peremptory challenge. One of the attorneys bounced me because I knew too much. Damn! This always happens!

That's why they don't let donkeys in college. Nobody likes a smart ass.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 06, 2014 02:11 |  #8696

Not something I'll ever have to worry about!

My Gear

MikeThompson
262 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 06, 2014 05:40 |  #8697

Been colder than normal here, but spring is somewhere around the corner.

Mike
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming....."WOW, WHAT A RIDE".

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 06, 2014 08:37 as a reply to  @ MikeThompson's post |  #8698

I think spring was here and left. We had great weather, sunny and warm, for a long time. Trees and flowers were budding, even though they say we are having a drought. When they said that it started to rain. Supposed to rain for a week. I don't mind the rain, except that it makes the average driver stupid (or more stupid). I passed three accidents on the way to work today.

What with issues at work and the cold from H3LL I have not been doing much in the way of photography. But nest weekend I am going down to Monterey and come what may, I want to be out taking pictures!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,106 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 06, 2014 09:51 |  #8699

How can a juror be discharged for knowing too much? Surely knowledge is something that a juror should have?

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,796 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 06, 2014 10:54 |  #8700

Roy Mathers wrote in post #16667960 (external link)
How can a juror be discharged for knowing too much? Surely knowledge is something that a juror should have?

Attorneys use peremptory challenges to exclude jurors they think will be unfavorable to their side.

It happened during the voir dire, when the attorneys question the prospective jurors. Questions can be addressed to an individual or the whole group. In theory, in a criminal trial, the purpose of this phase is to uncover biases and make sure that people understand such concepts as reasonable doubt and presumption of innocence. Sample questions: When you entered the courtroom and saw the defendant, did you wonder what he had done? Would you be more likely, or less likely, to believe a police officer's testimony than someone else's? Would you take less seriously the testimony of a witness whose native language wasn't English and who spoke through an interpreter?

In this series of questions, the prosecutor asked whether any of us would be inclined to doubt an eyewitness identification because the witness and the person identified were of different races. Now, I know, from reading, that this is something a juror should pay attention to because the error rate is higher in that condition. There was no response, so I raised my hand and said there's been research on that, and identifications are worse if the races are different. The prosecutor then asked another potential juror, who was a statistician, for his opinion on such an effect. He said noncommittally that it was possible. Then she said something else to me, I forget what, and I repeated that people are less good at identifying faces of races not their own.

A little later, the judge said that when an eyewitness identification is part of the evidence, his instructions to jurors include a list of 13 things to consider, such as whether the light was good and whether the witness knew the person before. One item, he said, is whether the witness and the person are of different races.

Then there was a recess. I thought, "She's gonna bounce me." When court resumed, sure enough: "The People would like to thank and excuse Juror Number 4 . . ."

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sponsored links

1,009,727 views & 178 likes for this thread
The OLDER Photographers' thread...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.