Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Jan 2014 (Friday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade from AlienBees

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 24, 2014 21:21 |  #1

Hello guys.

I've been Alienbees user for a long time now and i've been looking to upgrade to a new set of moonlights. Which brand do you recommend and why?

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,069 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 24, 2014 21:49 |  #2

In my view, the currently most advanced monolights are either Einstein 640 or Profoto B1.

Which to select depends on your pocket book and what you intend to shoot.

If you can get by with fewer than 640 Ws per light, another nice option for portable shooting is the Cheetah Light 360.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

K-Photo
24 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 25, 2014 04:49 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #3

It allows depend on what you want to use the flash for.

The Profoto B1 can be used with TTL and has the slowest flash duration at maximum power.
But I don't like having the battery placed in the head. On a higher light stand outdoor is getting quite unstable and you need a weight placed on the bottom, so the weight advantage of a battery head compared to a moonlight with battery pack is gone in my opinion. And I don't need ETTL when I set up my light.

The Einstein has really fast flash durations at a nice power variability range with a 9f-top range like the B1, too.
And the Einstein looks much better when it comes to color stability compared to the B1.

My personal candidate is the Multiblitz X10, which has with a 10f-stop power range from 1.95-1000Ws the widest range of the three.
It is with 1000Ws the strongest, but has still the fastest recycling times with 0,05-1,5s, offers a fast flash duration placed at a nice power output and in a german review it was absolute stable when it comes to color stability ( which it shows during my use, too ).
And they are offering a one year longer warranty compared to the other two with their three year warranty in the US.

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 25, 2014 12:30 |  #4

w.e.f. 31 January 2014 (ie 6 days from now), Paul C Buff have virtually thrown away any corporate interest in other than USA/Canada. Sort of "North America welcome: rest of the world - only if you twist our arm and dance to our tune"
http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/international.php (external link)

Does Santo Domingo fall within their future area of coverage? If not then the much-vaunted customer service becomes much-despised very quickly as a number of European customers have frequently mentioned. Cost of posting stuff is usually prohibitively high and the customer pays both ways - I understand that this also applies to warranty claims (but may be wrong). Then there are the current regulations about transporting lithium batteries which may/may not apply. Nightmare scenario for the unwary.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

K-Photo
24 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 25, 2014 13:32 |  #5

Whortleberry wrote in post #16635914 (external link)
... I understand that this also applies to warranty claims (but may be wrong). ...

You're right, customer has to pay.

International Warranty Information:
International Customers who originally placed their order from us or from PCB Europe or PCB Australia can go through us for repairs and service (whether warranty or non-warranty), though all shipping costs to and from our offices will be the obligation of the customer.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 25, 2014 14:35 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I don't see how this would be a problem for European customers: they have far way better manufacturers right at home. All the top brands are European —Hensel, Profoto, Broncolor, Elinchrom... so, there's your recommendation: any of those.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 25, 2014 16:18 |  #7

Alveric wrote in post #16636184 (external link)
I don't see how this would be a problem for European customers: they have far way better manufacturers right at home. All the top brands are European —Hensel, Profoto, Broncolor, Elinchrom... so, there's your recommendation: any of those.

Very true, every one a winner (can we add Multiblitz too) - but Santo Domingo isn't in Europe either. Mind you, it'd be pretty helpful if Shamir dropped a hint as to what he could actually get hold of. I've no idea about any import or practical restrictions in his location (Dominican Republic??) - there may be none but then again, there may be some we'd never imagine. Simply don't know.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

Shamir
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 26, 2014 17:24 |  #8

Hello guys! Santo Domingo is located in the Dominican Republic just right in the middle of the caribbean.

Being so close to Puerto Rico, I am planning on buy the equipment and get them to Puerto Rico and fly there to pick them up by myself. I can send them to a freight company in Miami that ships them to Santo Domingo, but customs will be all over me with taxes and much more.

My price range is around 3 to 4K dollars. I think I might do all right with 4 einsteins and several light stands and soft boxes. I've been reading many reviews on the Einstein and it looks like the bang for the buck!

The B1 is over a thousand dollars, even though it's one of the best brands out there, It is just right out of my budget.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Shamir

mike1812
336 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 28, 2014 14:11 |  #9

Shamir, do you have a lot of Buff modifiers? If so, that might swing your decision even more heavily to the Einsteins, since you'd have to replace all of those if you switched brands. Something else to consider.

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 28, 2014 16:02 |  #10

Shamir, you do very nice work. I think you would be quite pleased with Einsteins vs. your current set up. Einsteins + CSXV triggers, a Cyber Commander, and a CST for the hot shoe and you're set.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

Shamir
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 30, 2014 12:57 |  #11

Hi Mike, thats a reason why I even considered changing brands, Only modifier I have that fits the Alien Bees is the old 22" Beauty Dish. I have umbrellas which fit any brand and my soft boxes are built for Hotshoe flash guns!

Shamir

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 30, 2014 21:07 |  #12

What is it about the ab's that makes you want to upgrade? That might help answer what you should go to.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links

2,113 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrade from AlienBees
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.