Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 30 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 00:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Some of the most thankless jobs are the most important ones

parks
138 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 30, 2014 00:11 |  #1

I teach photography at a high school and after the class, I struck up a conversation with the night custodian, Tom. He's one of the hardest working people in the district, and I followed him around the school while he was on mop duty. Here are just some casual shots I took, and tried to edit as best as I can. All I had was a 24-85 f/3.5-5.6, but I made it work kind of.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

L

sponsored links
ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 30, 2014 09:03 |  #2

The lens is no problem. Did you do any processing to correct WB?

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

erikfig
Goldmember
2,151 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 30, 2014 13:12 |  #3

They looks soft. Also white balance is off.

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 30, 2014 19:28 |  #4

Yeah what they said, and dont recover shadows so much in the first one, it's too obvious you did it and its making the image noisy.

parks
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 30, 2014 20:55 |  #5

You guys are right. I actually didn't even expose it anywhere near acceptable levels in camera. Here's the first shot SOOC. I tried my best to make it presentable.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

L

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 30, 2014 21:03 |  #6

I see why you recovered shadows but blend it halfway from the first one and the original

parks
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 30, 2014 21:29 |  #7

Would any of you guys like to show me how it's done? Here's the raw file for the first pic

https://www.dropbox.co​m …h8ev9cifx4pd/RM​9U0347.CR2 (external link)

L

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,310 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 30, 2014 21:31 |  #8

Which school?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

parks
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 30, 2014 21:46 |  #9

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #16651524 (external link)
Which school?

Centennial High School in Gresham

L

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 30, 2014 22:22 |  #10

The image is 2-3 stops underexposed to begin with imo so that makes it a lot lower quality (you know this already but im just sayin). It was shot f/3.5, 1/100, ISO500, probably without flash right? Your shutter speed choice is safe, but next time just be wary of what zoom you're at. Since you shot it at 24mm you can bring your shutter speed down to 1/30 or even slower and hold it very steady. You'd capture his movements while he mops so it might make for a cool picture and give you more light. And of course, raise your ISO in a situation like this. Indoors in dim light ISO500 rarely works without additional lighting. Basically, a properly exposed image (even with high ISO) will generally yield better results and cleaner noise than a poorly exposed image with low ISO. So you gotta let the fear of using high ISO go.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/tt5fmVc.jpg

On the flipside, I really like these pictures. The third one is so good, his expression and everything! You could do some really cool portrait stories with this dude.

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 30, 2014 23:43 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

parks wrote in post #16651555 (external link)
Centennial High School in Gresham

Cool. Went there in 1993 for one year and then to Reynolds HS for my senior year

parks
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 31, 2014 01:21 |  #12

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16651638 (external link)
The image is 2-3 stops underexposed to begin with imo so that makes it a lot lower quality (you know this already but im just sayin). It was shot f/3.5, 1/100, ISO500, probably without flash right? Your shutter speed choice is safe, but next time just be wary of what zoom you're at. Since you shot it at 24mm you can bring your shutter speed down to 1/30 or even slower and hold it very steady. You'd capture his movements while he mops so it might make for a cool picture and give you more light. And of course, raise your ISO in a situation like this. Indoors in dim light ISO500 rarely works without additional lighting. Basically, a properly exposed image (even with high ISO) will generally yield better results and cleaner noise than a poorly exposed image with low ISO. So you gotta let the fear of using high ISO go.

QUOTED IMAGE

On the flipside, I really like these pictures. The third one is so good, his expression and everything! You could do some really cool portrait stories with this dude.

Thanks! That white balance looks a lot better than mine... Any tips on how to edit WB? When should I make pictures warmer or colder? Just depends on the scene?

L

EOS_Fan
357 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 31, 2014 06:39 as a reply to  @ parks's post |  #13

Hope you don't mind parks, but I've had a little play with editing your original RAW file. I changed the WB to Tungsten, although having just looked at it again, Flourescent might be better, gave it another 1.75 stops exposure, set the Fill Light to 85 to bring out some shadow detail, then set the luminance to 60 and color to 32, reducing noise a little. Finally, a slight adjustment in Levels to improve blacks / whites before cropping to portrait orientation and saving as a jpeg.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Flickr (external link)

EOS_Fan
357 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 31, 2014 06:48 as a reply to  @ EOS_Fan's post |  #14

Here's a different version, just changed the temperature to 3200 manually, rather than use a pre-set value for WB, this looks better to me than my previous attempt

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Flickr (external link)

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 31, 2014 14:26 |  #15

parks wrote in post #16651908 (external link)
Thanks! That white balance looks a lot better than mine... Any tips on how to edit WB? When should I make pictures warmer or colder? Just depends on the scene?

Yes it depends on the scene completely. Its a simple process to correct wb. Your scene is too warm, so thats why its way too yellow. If you warmed it up more it would become red and nasty. You want to make the scene cooler to counter act the warmth and bring in a better balance. Notice there is a clear separation of color from his skin and the walls on my edit, and thats how you know its going the right direction.

A rule of thumb is to look for something in the scene that should be gray, or white (like the walls) and try to make them actually as close to gray as possible. Most programs have an auto-wb correct that lets you choose the eyedrop tool and click on anything that should be gray and itll adjust it for you. Use a reference, like the grayness of this thread page that the pictures are attached to. Then you'll really see how far off you are... good luck

@EOS_fan: I like the crop! But I still think the latest edit has too much of a yellow tint to it, but then again I wasnt there during the actual shooting so only the OP can tell us what the scene truly looked like.

sponsored links

2,683 views & 0 likes for this thread
Some of the most thankless jobs are the most important ones
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.