Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 16:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What format do you export from Lightroom?

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 30, 2014 16:50 |  #1

Just a simple question. Up until now, I have been exporting all my photos from Lightroom as JPEG. (Original size for prints, smaller for flickr).

Should I be exporting as something else? (TIFF, DNG, Original)?

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,539 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 30, 2014 16:58 |  #2

If exporting to work on the file further in an external editor, TIFF; if simply exporting a final product, JPEG.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Brodog2525
450 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 30, 2014 17:51 |  #3

For final photos that I then upload to the web...I always use JPEGs

edit: I don't see a reason why you would want to export them in another way out of lightroom. Unless you wanted to edit them again in another program, and in that case TIFF would be OK

Canon 30D | 17-85mm EF-S with IS | 430EX Flash
50mm f/1.8 II | 18-55mm lens kit
70-200mm f/4 L
brodiehenry.smugmug.co​m (external link)http://www.BrodieHenry​.com (external link)

JM ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 30, 2014 19:02 |  #4

Brodog2525 wrote in post #16651058 (external link)
For final photos that I then upload to the web...I always use JPEGs

edit: I don't see a reason why you would want to export them in another way out of lightroom. Unless you wanted to edit them again in another program, and in that case TIFF would be OK

Sometimes I like to export from LR and open in CS6 to make more tweaks using different tools (cloning something out, using more in-depth curves, etc.)

I just like the tools LR has to offer for initial contrast, highlights, etc. editing. Then I finalize and perfect blemishes in CS6

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 30, 2014 19:04 |  #5

I open them in Photoshop by exporting a PSD directly into Photoshop.

Otherwise, it's almost always a JPEG, unless the client requests a TIFF or something else.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,514 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 30, 2014 19:40 |  #6

JM Photos wrote in post #16651195 (external link)
I just like the tools LR has to offer for initial contrast, highlights, etc. editing. Then I finalize and perfect blemishes in CS6

For this you should be selecting "Edit in" and LR will then send the files to PS which will open them as PSD files. Work on them and then save them and they return back to LR automatically. You then export from LR in whatever final file type you need, normally JPEG for uploading to the web.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 30, 2014 20:18 |  #7

Dan Marchant wrote in post #16651275 (external link)
For this you should be selecting "Edit in" and LR will then send the files to PS which will open them as PSD files. Work on them and then save them and they return back to LR automatically. You then export from LR in whatever final file type you need, normally JPEG for uploading to the web.

If I recall correctly, you have to set this in Lightroom options, otherwise it'll open as a TIFF.

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 30, 2014 20:20 |  #8

nathancarter wrote in post #16651368 (external link)
If I recall correctly, you have to set this in Lightroom options, otherwise it'll open as a TIFF.

Correct.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 30, 2014 20:29 |  #9

I export to TIFF only. And I keep the raw file around in case I want to reinterpret. I will export to JPG from CS6 which is where I add finishing touches.

JM ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 30, 2014 23:01 |  #10

jetcode wrote in post #16651393 (external link)
I export to TIFF only. And I keep the raw file around in case I want to reinterpret. I will export to JPG from CS6 which is where I add finishing touches.

Out of all the options mentioned, this seems like the way I should be doing things. Seems the most practical for my style of editing.

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 30, 2014 23:06 |  #11

I do what Dan Marchant said above, but with Tiff format. That is, I right click the photo in the film strip in LR, select Edit in PS. For multiple photos, I select them within LR, right click and Open as Layers in PS. This sends them automatically to PS for editing. Then I just click the x to close and it asks me if I want to save. I click yes and it automatically saves as a Tiff and imports it into LR, without me having to do anything else.

The process of exporting as a Tiff and then bringing it back into LR by importing seems like extra steps to me.

The RAW file(s) remain(s) in the film strip and therefore on the drive. The last thing I do is select the Raw and the newly created Tiff file, stack and collapse them.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 31, 2014 02:43 |  #12

I never export any file automatically or routinely, only as the need arises. If I am uploading to the web, I make the appropriately sized and spaced jpg. If I am sending to a lab or to clients, different jpgs. But the jpgs never stay inmy system for longer than it takes to send them off and then they are deleted. Tiffs for extra editing are of course saved, but they are only 5% of photos.

Elie / אלי

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 31, 2014 03:00 |  #13

JM Photos wrote in post #16651709 (external link)
Out of all the options mentioned, this seems like the way I should be doing things. Seems the most practical for my style of editing.

It should be noted I do not use LR. I use Bridge, RAW, CS6.

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 31, 2014 07:59 |  #14

OP - Are you saying to export as jpg then upload to Flickr? You don't upload straight to Flickr from LR?

tzalman wrote in post #16651979 (external link)
I never export any file automatically or routinely, only as the need arises. If I am uploading to the web, I make the appropriately sized and spaced jpg.

I export under 3 conditions:

• 98% of the time = Smugmug, jpg, highest res possible... Friedl's plugin says 92% quality
  • 1% of the time = For e-mail or facebook, jpg, usually 800 px on long side
  • 1% of the time = For other purposes I can't think of right now.
RAWs and Tiffs remain in my catalogue... never jpgs. If they get exported onto my harddrive, they eventually get deleted. I just never mess with Tiffs outside of LR or without the "edit in PS" function of LR.

jetcode wrote in post #16651991 (external link)
It should be noted I do not use LR. I use Bridge, RAW, CS6.

Lol... so why are you in this thread?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 31, 2014 09:09 |  #15

Nathan wrote in post #16651721 (external link)
I do what Dan Marchant said above, but with Tiff format. That is, I right click the photo in the film strip in LR, select Edit in PS. For multiple photos, I select them within LR, right click and Open as Layers in PS. This sends them automatically to PS for editing. Then I just click the x to close and it asks me if I want to save. I click yes and it automatically saves as a Tiff and imports it into LR, without me having to do anything else.

Any reasons for using TIFF over PSD?

In my experience, layered TIFFs are larger in filesize than an equivalent PSD, with all else equal. You have to turn on "Maximize Compatibility" for Lightroom to read the PSD, which bloats the PSD a little bit, but it's still smaller than the TIFF.

sponsored links

2,557 views & 0 likes for this thread
What format do you export from Lightroom?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.