Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Jan 2014 (Thursday) 16:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What format do you export from Lightroom?

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 31, 2014 09:15 |  #16

I export in JPEG for web uploading or general purpose printing. Occasionally I have used TIFF for printing or HDR processing, but it just takes up too much disk space for my limited HDD capacity and processing power. I find that retaining the CR2 files is all I need for future processing. Nathan, the reason for using TIFF instead of PSD is that TIFF files can be viewed and edited without using Adobe software.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

sponsored links
JM ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 31, 2014 11:21 as a reply to  @ jt354's post |  #17

Nathan wrote in post #16652321 (external link)
OP - Are you saying to export as jpg then upload to Flickr? You don't upload straight to Flickr from LR?

Yeah.

1) Edit RAW in LR (highlights, contrast, exposure, etc) for all the basic tweaks
2) Export to JPEG and open in CS6 (to resize for flickr and add my picture border action)
3) Upload to flickr from my computer

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 31, 2014 11:25 |  #18

jt354 wrote in post #16652504 (external link)
Nathan, the reason for using TIFF instead of PSD is that TIFF files can be viewed and edited without using Adobe software.

Thought you were talking to me. Hahahaha.:p

Honestly... I'm finding myself not sharing files with others, so why don't I use PSD? It's just for me and I have PS, afterall.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 31, 2014 11:32 |  #19

JM Photos wrote in post #16652777 (external link)
Yeah.

1) Edit RAW in LR (highlights, contrast, exposure, etc) for all the basic tweaks
2) Export to JPEG and open in CS6 (to resize for flickr and add my picture border action)
3) Upload to flickr from my computer

You can do steps 2 adn 3 from inside Lightroom.

1. Edit RAW in LR as you've been doing

2. Don't save as lossy JPEG only to open them up individually in CS6. If all you're doing is resizing and adding border, then you can use LR and Mogrify without sending to CS6 at all.

3. (More like 2A.) If you need to bring into CS6 for local adjustments, then choose "Edit in PS" or "Open as layers in PS"... PS will pop up with your LR adjustments already applied (if you confirm this in the popup window), you make your adjustments, save and it will be in your LR catalogue when you're done.

4. Use either the native upload tool from within LR or use the Friedl plugin. I've been using the Friedl plugin for Smugmug since LR2, so that's what I stick with... but the new upload features in LR look pretty good.

Sounds to me that you aren't using LR to it's potential. Your workflow can be improved.

JM ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 31, 2014 11:40 |  #20

Nathan wrote in post #16652802 (external link)
You can do steps 2 adn 3 from inside Lightroom.

1. Edit RAW in LR as you've been doing

2. Don't save as lossy JPEG only to open them up individually in CS6. If all you're doing is resizing and adding border, then you can use LR and Mogrify without sending to CS6 at all.

3. (More like 2A.) If you need to bring into CS6 for local adjustments, then choose "Edit in PS" or "Open as layers in PS"... PS will pop up with your LR adjustments already applied (if you confirm this in the popup window), you make your adjustments, save and it will be in your LR catalogue when you're done.

4. Use either the native upload tool from within LR or use the Friedl plugin. I've been using the Friedl plugin for Smugmug since LR2, so that's what I stick with... but the new upload features in LR look pretty good.

Sounds to me that you aren't using LR to it's potential. Your workflow can be improved.

Sounds like a perfect plan! I guess to this point I'm self-taught and without anyone telling me I would have never figured to try that. Thank you!

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 31, 2014 11:46 |  #21

I'm self-taught, too... but I click around LR and read up on people's advice on this forum. Lol... we've told you like 3 or 4 times in this thread!

JM ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 31, 2014 11:48 |  #22

Nathan wrote in post #16652831 (external link)
Lol... we've told you like 3 or 4 times in this thread!

Yeah, I know. But I've just been reading through the thread multiple times and haven't touched LR yet. Waiting until my next batch of editing.

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 31, 2014 11:55 |  #23

Nathan wrote in post #16652321 (external link)
Lol... so why are you in this thread?

I have LR4 I just think it's redundant. I find the non LR path superior. LR and CS are not integrated all that well. I can do everything in Bridge and Raw that LR does. I started with PS2 in the late 90's so perhaps old habits die hard. But I do know LR. I am not interested in handing over $$$ to Adobe twice.

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 31, 2014 12:00 |  #24

I haven't watched this whole thing, but jumped around a bit. I might watch it later on:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Opaw45oVQCE (external link)

Skip to 0:45 for the Edit in Photoshop portion. However, there seems to be a good overview on global editing.

Forgot to mention... If you don't want to use Mogrify and want to still use your action, just choose Edit in Photoshop, then run your action and click Save. It will be imported into your catalogue when finished and I suggest you then stack the files.

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 31, 2014 12:04 |  #25

jetcode wrote in post #16652848 (external link)
I have LR4 I just think it's redundant. I find the non LR path superior. LR and CS are not integrated all that well. I can do everything in Bridge and Raw that LR does. I started with PS2 in the late 90's so perhaps old habits die hard. But I do know LR. I am not interested in handing over $$$ to Adobe twice.

That's fine. Everyone finds what works for them. I started with Photoshop 5.0 back in the late 90s when I was an undergrad. These days, I use Photoshop as only 5% of my workflow. I like the LR interface and management tools more than Bridge... for editing, LR is far superior to Bridge. I just never got used to Bridge.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 31, 2014 12:07 |  #26

Nathan wrote in post #16652872 (external link)
That's fine. Everyone finds what works for them. I started with Photoshop 5.0 back in the late 90s when I was an undergrad. These days, I use Photoshop as only 5% of my workflow. I like the LR interface and management tools more than Bridge... for editing, LR is far superior to Bridge. I just never got used to Bridge.

You mean LR has a more comfortable GUI and integration for you. There is nothing in LR that can't be done in bridge, raw, CS. In fact LR suffers significantly from the lack of layers and other CS tools such as masking, etc. At least as far as I know. I have LR4.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 31, 2014 12:54 |  #27

jetcode wrote in post #16652878 (external link)
You mean LR has a more comfortable GUI and integration for you. There is nothing in LR that can't be done in bridge, raw, CS.

Which one of these programs will publish only the 3-star and Pick-flagged photos from last night's shoot, directly from my library to Flickr, Facebook, and my website gallery, simultaneously?

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 31, 2014 13:05 |  #28

nathancarter wrote in post #16652987 (external link)
Which one of these programs will publish only the 3-star and Pick-flagged photos from last night's shoot, directly from my library to Flickr, Facebook, and my website gallery, simultaneously?

That is not a feature I even remotely entertain. I'm glad you find function there. My work is one image at a time. Methodical. I am not shooting weddings or events. Much different beast and time is of the essence when your SD card is filled to capacity on a weekly basis. I tend to spend a few hours minimum with each image. But I also shoot film and I will sometimes spend a day just spotting dust from a high resolution scan.

Different tools for different jobs.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 31, 2014 13:28 |  #29

Nobody is disputing the fact that Photoshop is a more powerful single-image editor. But many Lightroom's functions other than editing can't be readily superseded by Bridge+ACR+PS.

You said "There's nothing in LR that can't be done in bridge, raw, CS" - which is a lot different than "different tools for different jobs." If you choose not to use its more advanced library/catalog management tools because they don't suit your workflow, that's no reason to say that those tools don't exist.

On a less serious note, I think something's a little off with your workflow math. If you fill up a SD card every week, and spend "a few hours" editing each image ... well, let's say you use a 16GB card, and your raw images are 30MB each, that's around 500 shots per card. Three hours per image, means 1500 hours editing this week's images. Not counting the day off to spend in the darkroom. Can I borrow your wristwatch? I need time like that.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 31, 2014 13:58 |  #30

My original post does not concern LR vs CS. It concerns exporting to .jpg. In my world that file type is only used for digital display on small scale systems. If someone is saving all their files in .jpg they may never keep a raw version and are stuck with a compressed file for life as clean as that may be.

sponsored links

2,549 views & 0 likes for this thread
What format do you export from Lightroom?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.