Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 08:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kayak rig ideas?

mknabster
827 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 28, 2014 08:48 |  #1

Hello all, I just ordered the Tamron 150-600mm lens, and while i wait for it to come off of backorder :rolleyes:, I'm trying to figure out a way to handle this thing when i go kayaking. Since it is on the heavier side, at least compared to what i'm used to, I wanted to see if any other kayakers on here have rigged a tripod system to help hold it. I was thinking that getting a small tripod and clamping the feet to the edges around the mouth of the kayak might work, but finding a tripod with legs small enough, or long enough in some cases to fit that is what i'm trying to figure out. My current tripod is fairly heavy, and a monster at that, and my gorillapod is too small for this use, so does anyone have any ideas?

- Matt

MK Studios (external link)
My Gear

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,343 posts
Gallery: 1716 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 28, 2014 13:20 |  #2

Heya,

I kayak. I do it on the ocean though. So I don't take big heavy lenses. And I use a waterproof bag. Even with weather proofing, unless your camera body is also weather proof, it doesn't change anything to have a weather resistant lens. Pretty sure the 30D isn't weather sealed (the camera you have listed in your link). So taking the 600mm on the water means only part of your setup is weather resistant.

I don't use a tripod/mono pod on the kayak. I guess a monopod would be ideal. I guess it really matters where and how you're kayaking. In the ocean, I don't get much time before I have to paddle unless I'm on the shore parked. In the active water, there's no way to shoot for a prolonged amount of time before needing to correct the direction I'm facing as it turns you round and round.

I'm sure a scotty fishing pole holder (rocket pod) could be used with a monopod to support the 600mm. Center mount it to your kayak. Then it's loose, but mounted, so you can break away and use it, or rest it in that mount with a hand on it to give your triceps a break.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

mknabster
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 28, 2014 15:07 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #3

Thanks for your response MalVeaux! I guess i should have specified what kind of kayak i have. I have a freshwater one, so it's a sit-in unlike yours which is a sit-on. I will bring a waterproof bag to keep the camera in, but when i'm out shooting, it's not in the bag. But that's a good idea to use a fishing rod holder, i'll have to look into that.

- Matt

My Gear

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,666 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 28, 2014 18:13 |  #4

Enjoy your new lens. If it had come out a year ago I would have gone for it.

You may want to look at this thread. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1091924 Someone posted a video of their kayak/tripod setup.

I use a gripped 7D with 100-400 and flash with flash extender in my sit in kayak in bayous and somewhat protected waters. A tripod would be problematic for me because the kayak never stays pointed in the right direction due to drift or rotation. Handheld I can rotate 180 degrees plus straight up without changing my center of gravity too much.

I highly recommend Watershed bags. When the camera is not in use and not in the bag it lays on the bag between my legs slid forward to where it doesn't get wet.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 28, 2014 18:20 |  #5

Try here:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1091924
Kind of slow do to the weather/Season.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

mjww
674 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 28, 2014 22:29 |  #6

I found this during my web browsing. Hopefully it will help you generate some ideas.
http://diyphotocheapod​epot.blogspot.com/2011​_04_01_archive.html (external link)

Equipment list - According to the wife - "how many more lenses do you need? Yet another camera?"  ???

mknabster
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 29, 2014 08:26 |  #7

Thanks for the links everyone, I'll have to check those out. That's exactly the type of shooting i'll do with mine Charles, going into marshes and the like, I have gotten some pretty nice shots with my 70-300, so i cannot wait to get this in, whenever that will be.

- Matt

My Gear

kingdaddy
396 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 31, 2014 14:04 as a reply to  @ mknabster's post |  #8

I'm surprised no one has mentioned using a Hobie Mirage Drive Kayak for photography. It has peddles that operate penguin like flippers on the bottom of the hull so your hands are free to operate your camera. They also have the advantage of being completely quite as the drive is submersed in the water so you can really sneak up on wildlife. In addition, there extremely fast and you can go much further in one then a paddle Kayak.

6D | 7D | XSI | EF-S 10-22 | EF 50 1.4 | EF 24-105L | 100-400L │ EF-100mm Macro| MT-24EX │580 EXII | Black Rapid RS-5 | lots of Think Tank.

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 31, 2014 14:22 |  #9

My friend takes his 500L in a dry bag between his legs. He has a sit-in type, but it must be bigger than mine as I don't have enough room for both my legs and the lens. He hand holds the lens so no tripod.

I've seen pictures of other people where they have the tripod setup in between their legs, but the legs are not fully spread out.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 31, 2014 18:23 |  #10

At over $2000 there about triple the price.............

kingdaddy wrote in post #16653172 (external link)
I'm surprised no one has mentioned using a Hobie Mirage Drive Kayak for photography. It has peddles that operate penguin like flippers on the bottom of the hull so your hands are free to operate your camera. They also have the advantage of being completely quite as the drive is submersed in the water so you can really sneak up on wildlife. In addition, there extremely fast and you can go much further in one then a paddle Kayak.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,666 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 31, 2014 18:40 |  #11

badams wrote in post #16653223 (external link)
My friend takes his 500L in a dry bag between his legs. He has a sit-in type, but it must be bigger than mine as I don't have enough room for both my legs and the lens. He hand holds the lens so no tripod.

I've seen pictures of other people where they have the tripod setup in between their legs, but the legs are not fully spread out.

My kayak is 27.6 inches wide so the bag and camera with lens fit nicely between my legs. It is also quite stable.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,666 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 31, 2014 18:46 |  #12

kingdaddy wrote in post #16653172 (external link)

Pedal drive sounds like it would be nice if the water is deep enough. Some other companies offer pedal drive too. They are all out of my price range and mine drags bottom quite often so it is probably not in my future.

There are also trolling motor options.

Charles

kingdaddy
396 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 02, 2014 15:53 |  #13

My Hobie Oasis is good to about 6" of water if you stow the flippers by pushing one peddle forward, then you can use a paddle until you get to deeper water (about 1'). They are expensive though, mine was about 3K fully rigged and it is heavy at about 140 LBS. But it makes a great shooting platform as it is very stable and nearly impossible to flip.

6D | 7D | XSI | EF-S 10-22 | EF 50 1.4 | EF 24-105L | 100-400L │ EF-100mm Macro| MT-24EX │580 EXII | Black Rapid RS-5 | lots of Think Tank.

mknabster
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 02, 2014 16:46 |  #14

Wow, I didn't know people would buy boats just to take photos with, but I guess it makes sense. I'm not looking to shell out that kind of money, especially when I already have the kayaks. But the ones I have are wide enough that i could fit a small bag between my legs, but it can get annoying to go in and out of the bag sometimes when paddling. I was considering camping a piece of wood across the opening, and attaching a ball head to that, but then it's locked to that level. I have seen people mount tripods within their kayaks, but paddling with that could prove somewhat difficult.

- Matt

My Gear

sponsored links

4,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kayak rig ideas?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.