Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 19:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tell me about Sikh Weddings!

brit84
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 26, 2014 19:06 |  #1

I have a potential Sikh client who I will be meeting with in the next week.

What can you tell me about the ceremonies etc. I understand these are three day ceremonies! I am looking at examples online and how much time goes into one of these so I can have some clue of what to quote.

Thanks for any help!

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 26, 2014 21:52 |  #2

I don't think you will know until you meet them and find out what they are looking for. Perhaps call them up and ask them what they have in mind so you can quote them appropriately when the meeting comes?

The only person I know who has shot a Sikh wedding said he started at 9am and the 2nd shooter was still going until just after 4am.

mkville
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 27, 2014 10:37 |  #3

I havent shot a sikh wedding but have attened many as a guess. The photographer in me says if I ever shot something like this you would need to have a second shooter, 2 would be ideal to be honest. There will far to much going on for you to cover it by yourself . Just keep that in mind when the subject of pricing comes up.

These are very colorfully affairs , as well as very religous , once in the Temple be prepared to wear a head covering ( bandana) hopefully your compfortable with that., there was a post a while back that the photg didnt want to wear one at a wedding like this, felt that the client was forcing their views on him etc.

be prepared for long days and be prepared for the bride and grooms parents to ordering you around :)

Again I have been to a few of these and seen it in action so beleive me I've seen it :)

Good Luck to you mate

Mark
flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

brit84
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2014 20:12 |  #4

Thanks folks,
Consult is next week, I will keep a second shooter in mind.
I have done a small ceremony in a temple before and Im aware of the headress.
other comments welcome!

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

Moin
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 01, 2014 07:13 |  #5

Lots of colors, traditions, dancing and food. You've to be on your toes for these weddings. There'll be a lot of shots with bride and groom with their relatives (on stage) and of course the regular dance shots etc. Can't be done without an assistant.

flickrr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Pupu
267 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 01, 2014 14:27 |  #6

I'm an Indian and have lots of Sikh friends. Assuming the family still holds Indian roots...in terms of traditions :-) I looked at your current portfolio....trust me it will be a completely new 'dish'

Here would be my suggestions:
- Be prepared for lots of groupd shots of bride and groom with thier relatives.
- Long day.
- Explosion of colors
- Very less formal ocassions...people will not sit ideally the way you would want...be prepared to run and make your space to click pics
- Learn their important rituals....MOST IMPORTANT....you cannot afford to miss the important moments
- You will get ample opportunity to capture details.

Best of luck!

550D gripped I Sigma 50mm F1.4 (Non Art) I Canon 100mm F2.0 I Nissin Di622 Mk II I YN 622C triggers I...and few other accessories

brit84
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 05, 2014 01:37 |  #7

Thanks all, The couple booked me for this.
600 guests, 10 hour day and other sessions for the pre wedding day ceremonies.
Indian ceremony, western/european vow at the reception.

Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 05, 2014 01:56 |  #8

No matter what the advice on here - just make surethat you are 100% clear on their wants and on any specific shots they want.

sponsored links

1,207 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tell me about Sikh Weddings!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.