Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Jan 2014 (Friday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The New Cheetahstand C10 Run and Gun stand

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 31, 2014 10:16 |  #1

Just got the new Cheetah Stand C10 with auto retracting and contracting legs. The stand extends up to 10 feet 120" or collapses all the way down to 3 feet 36". It has a foot path of 38" and weighs 4 pound 3 ounces. It can handle a max weight limit up to nine pounds. It has really nice rubber feet so not to scratch the floor and little grips on them the grab the surface to keep from slipping.

If your a run and gun user then this stand is for you. It is well constructed and very light weigh compared to C stands. Just pick it up and legs retract and place it anywhere and the contract with having to set the legs manually. This is great when your going throw doors, tight areas, and packing. They do come in three different sizes C8 8feet , C10 10 feet, and larges is the C12 which 12 feet.

I will be testing it out in the next couple of weeks and give my full review of the stand of its pros and cons.

http://www.youtube.com …l_qGGgmI&featur​e=youtu.be (external link)

I AM SHOM

sponsored links
agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 31, 2014 12:34 |  #2

I have had the 8 and 12 foot Cheetah stands for several years and they work great indoors where the retracting legs make them easy to move around without knocking into things. Outdoors in grass, especially tall grass, they are a pain to use. In my part of the country the wind always blows and as we'll built as the Cheetah stands are I just cannot load them down and feel as comfortable as I do with the Avenger C stands.

Rand

Gear

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 31, 2014 13:05 |  #3

agv8or wrote in post #16652938 (external link)
I have had the 8 and 12 foot Cheetah stands for several years and they work great indoors where the retracting legs make them easy to move around without knocking into things. Outdoors in grass, especially tall grass, they are a pain to use. In my part of the country the wind always blows and as we'll built as the Cheetah stands are I just cannot load them down and feel as comfortable as I do with the Avenger C stands.

The auto-opening/auto-closing feature of the Cheetah stands is both their claim to fame and their curse. When used as intended on smooth floors, they're usually (but not always) ideal. Often, you'll wish there were a way to lock the legs in the open position. Why?

1. To move the Cheetah stands from one location to another, they must be lifted at least 10"-12" off the ground. It would be nice if the stands could be moved (maybe only a few inches) by just raising them off the floor. Especially true with low ceilings when lifting the stand 1-foot may not be possible without lowering one of the risers.

2. The legs do make a fair amount of noise when opening and closing. In some situations that might not be acceptable.

3. As Rand has pointed out, on rough surfaces like thick carpeting and grass they don't work at all.

I have a solution that works well for me. It requires a ball bungee (or Bongo Tie) and a hose clamp:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7384/12239535255_1364aaeb70_o.jpg

When the stand is folded, the bungee keeps the legs from flopping about and rattling.

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2823/12240097816_cb8bafb96a_o.jpg

In normal use, as shown on the left above, the legs will open and close automatically. However, when the bungee is stretched between the hose clamp and knob, the legs will not collapse.

I wrapped a piece of electrical tape around the stand column so the hose clamp wouldn't scratch the finish. The clamp does not interfere with leg folding in any way.

For reference, this is the Cheetah Stand family:

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3669/12239524605_2a15486c5e_o.jpg

abbadon31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 31, 2014 14:14 |  #4

I can see what your saying. The foot area is what I'm worried about. Most of my old stands had a 53-58 foot path. I will be using 20lb of leg weights on location to make sure the stand says in place. I use to live in Iowa and know how the winds can get. ;)

I am a Mathews C stand user, but when using the 360, quadra and a maxilite I don't have that wind catch like if I was using an octa or an umbrella. I love the C stand because of the weight and the extension arm, so I can keep my shooting area free from stands.

I AM SHOM

abbadon31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 31, 2014 14:17 |  #5

Nice work Dave
I will mod mine the same

I AM SHOM

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 31, 2014 15:08 |  #6

tetrode wrote in post #16653003 (external link)
However, when the bungee is stretched between the hose clamp and knob, the legs will not collapse.

what is the point of the knob?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

abbadon31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 31, 2014 16:12 |  #7

I have found no reason for the knob

I AM SHOM

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 31, 2014 16:25 |  #8

abbadon31 wrote in post #16653487 (external link)
I have found no reason for the knob

:lol

other than attaching a ball bungee to it

watching your video my first thought was "cool, you can lock it in place"

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

tetrode
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 31, 2014 17:04 |  #9

That knob/clamp does serve an important purpose though if you don't have one of the stands in front of you it isn't immediately obvious what that purpose might be.

The riser column rides up and down inside the bottom-most tubular stand section (the section with the "Cheetah" logo). In order to encourage the legs to open when setting the stand down, the weight of the riser column is needed to push down on the leg opening spider casting; the casting with the mystery knob.

With knob loosened, the spider is free to slide up and down the riser column which means it has to rely on its own weight alone to open the legs. On a really smooth surface, the legs may, in fact open. However, if there's any friction at all, chances are the legs will not open.

On the other hand, with the riser column pulled up and the knob tightened, the spider and riser column are locked together. Now when setting the stand down the weight of the riser column bears down on the spider which is what forces the legs open. Having the spider and column joined also means you can assist the opening process by pressing down on the riser column. With the knob loosened, that option is not available.

Trust me, for proper operation, the riser column needs to be pulled up such that the metal ring around it hits the underside of the spider casting and the knob must then be tightened.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 31, 2014 17:26 as a reply to  @ tetrode's post |  #10

so what you are saying is that the knob provides some resistance but cannot fully lock the base in place?

tetrode
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 31, 2014 17:44 |  #11

hes gone wrote in post #16653627 (external link)
=he's gone;16653627]so what you are saying is that the knob provides some resistance but cannot fully lock the base in place?

Resistance? No, that is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that the leg assembly needs to be clamped to the riser column for the stand to open (and close) properly. That knob provides the clamping action. The bungee and hose clamp wouldn't be required if there were a way to lock the legs open.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 31, 2014 18:07 as a reply to  @ tetrode's post |  #12

i think i get it.

The column with the logo ends at the stop for the spider casting, and the tube above (the riser column), is what moves up and down inside the bottom most column. The knob in question fixes the riser column to the spider casting.

IF that is correct, the next question is, why allow that point to vary?

(the answer seems obvious, but i'll leave it at that for now :D)

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 02, 2014 08:27 |  #13

Good review

abbadon31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 02, 2014 11:19 |  #14

hes gone wrote in post #16653721 (external link)
=he's gone;16653721]i think i get it.

The column with the logo ends at the stop for the spider casting, and the tube above (the riser column), is what moves up and down inside the bottom most column. The knob in question fixes the riser column to the spider casting.

IF that is correct, the next question is, why allow that point to vary?

(the answer seems obvious, but i'll leave it at that for now :D)

The Knob is there to lock the legs closed for storage or travel.

I AM SHOM

abbadon31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 09, 2014 21:45 |  #15

The stand works on flat surface well. On location I had problems with the legs not full opening in a trashed abandoned house. If the ground has a crest the stand will no setup, since the center column is what retracts the legs. So I had to lower the dirt with my foot for the legs to contract. The stand held up in high winds and was easy to move from spot to spot. The C10 all and all work and performed well. Once I knew what to look out for and how to fix the problem it will be my new run and gun stand.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7413/12425903564_b3e0a66b14_c.jpg

I AM SHOM

sponsored links

7,076 views & 1 like for this thread
The New Cheetahstand C10 Run and Gun stand
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.