Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 12:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of Selling Rokinon 85 to pick up Canon 85...will I regret it?

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 03, 2014 10:28 |  #16

Niccas9 wrote in post #16659819 (external link)
I stated that I already use live view with much success but I am shooting moving subjects, kids and families that are not conducive to what it takes to get live view dialed in. I didn't say anything about "upgrading" as I know that the IQ isn't the same. Can you reread the thread and answer the question?

I appreciate the time that people have taken to comment on my thread but this is going a direction that I didn't really ask for. Yes, I know that Sigma has a 1.4 and I can get one for around $750. I also know about Sigma's downfall with "bad copies" of lenses. Thank you everyone for pointing that out. My original question is whether or not I will regret swapping out the rokinon for the Canon. Is the trade off worth it in terms of gaining AF for loss of some IQ?

You're the only person who can answer to this question. Your last messages seem to show that's a "yes"... ;)

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

sponsored links
pulsar123
Goldmember
2,129 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 03, 2014 12:42 |  #17

I pretty much only used the Samyang at f1.4 when I had it - I don't see much point paying $$ for a quality f1.4 glass and then not using it to the fullest (wide open) most of the time.

If you are into "DoF is too thin, so I stop down" - perhaps you should consider changing your shooting habits with this lens, instead of selling it? To me, 85mm f1.4 is 2/3 to full body portrait lens, plus small groups (with the background sufficiently far behind). If treated this way, DoF is never gonna be too thin, and you'll get spectacular photographs.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

Niccas9
THREAD ­ STARTER
798 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 03, 2014 17:28 |  #18

Thanks for all the input. Even though most didn't address my question at all I still appreciate it. I'm going to the canon 1.8 for AF unless I can find a sigma model under $700. If I don't like the canon I will simply buy another Rokinon.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,650 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 03, 2014 17:58 |  #19

We have both the Rok 1.4 and Canon 1.8. My daughter uses the Rok for video and some stills, and shoots almost exclusively MF. She loves the Rok for it's sharpness, beautiful bokeh and tight depth-of-field when needed.

I shoot stills almost exclusively, and much prefer the auto focus to the minor IQ issues. I see no appreciable difference in IQ for in-focus subjects between the two (but I'm not a pixel-peeper and my eyes aren't the best, either). The bokeh is different but I don't find anything unpleasant either way. The biggest problem I've run into is CA/fringing on high-contrast, out-of-focus subjects, and this I can correct fairly well with PP.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Niccas9
THREAD ­ STARTER
798 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 03, 2014 19:59 |  #20

bumpintheroad wrote in post #16661236 (external link)
We have both the Rok 1.4 and Canon 1.8. My daughter uses the Rok for video and some stills, and shoots almost exclusively MF. She loves the Rok for it's sharpness, beautiful bokeh and tight depth-of-field when needed.

I shoot stills almost exclusively, and much prefer the auto focus to the minor IQ issues. I see no appreciable difference in IQ for in-focus subjects between the two (but I'm not a pixel-peeper and my eyes aren't the best, either). The bokeh is different but I don't find anything unpleasant either way. The biggest problem I've run into is CA/fringing on high-contrast, out-of-focus subjects, and this I can correct fairly well with PP.

Even though I already made up my decision, this was the information I was looking for. I have nothing bad to say about the Rok but have found that for MY needs it is not doing the job at this point. If Rok comes out with a 135 I will be all over it though...

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,480 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 04, 2014 03:26 |  #21

I bought the EF 1.8 after I had to return my first copy of the Samyang due to a sticky aperture because it was on sale for $330. I shot with it for about 2 weeks and that was plenty for me to realize that I much preferred the look of the images from the Samyang, so the EF went back and I got another Samyang and haven't regretted it.

That said, if you need AF, you need AF... the 85/1.8 is still a fantastic lens, I just found the Samyang overall better and I really have no issue with MF (see my sig) so I went with the Samyang.

Either lens is perfectly capable of fantastic images.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

2,070 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of Selling Rokinon 85 to pick up Canon 85...will I regret it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.