Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 31 Jan 2014 (Friday) 00:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Pixma Pro 100

Bilgola
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 31, 2014 00:55 |  #1

Hi All, I'm new to this forum and I couldn't see a subject area for printers...hope I'm in the right place. I am very close to buying a Canon Pixma Pro 100 and wondered if there were any users on the forum who could share their experience (good or bad) on how they perform

The Pro 100 seems to be good value and most reviews are positive but actual owners may have had different experiences. Regards Mike

Bilgola...somewhere on the Australian coast
Canon 7d, Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS, Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Canon Speedlite 550EX, SLIK Pro 713CF II, Manfrotto Monopod, RODE Video Mic Pro, BlackRapid Strap, Hahnel Combi TF Remote, Lowpro Roller Lite 150AW

sponsored links
Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 31, 2014 02:53 |  #2

Hi Bilgola, I have one and am very happy with it. I haven't used it a lot but when I do I get great results. It is my first A3+ printer and the first two prints I made I framed and hung on the wall of my study which is a first for me.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/ (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 31, 2014 07:45 |  #3

We had 9500II and won a Pro-100 at a photo club event. We liked the 100 well enough to keep it for the wife to do prints for scrape booking. We gave the 9500II to a niece. Then I got us a new Pro-1 for $575 delivered from ebay. I also got boxes of Canon ink for the 100 and 1 printers on ebay for 1/3 off compared to prices at B&H or Adorama.

We always liked the 9500II. The wife loves her P-100. We both love the Pro-1 for the killer color and more importantly...the killer B&W prints it can make. So before paying retail for a Pro-100 or Pro-10, seriously consider a new Pro-1 via ebay for less money.

Can not recommend Canon high end ink jets enough!

CallumRD1
430 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 31, 2014 12:57 as a reply to  @ MCAsan's post |  #4

The Pro-100s regularly go for around $100 after rebate with a free 50 pack of 13x19 semigloss paper. That's how I got mine. I now have close to 10 12x18's printed on 13x19 paper on my wall. With a calibrated display, the colors have been very good and I am completely satisfied with it. I have printed around 10 12x18, 4 6x9, and around 25 4x6 and only 3 ink tanks are reading less than full, yellow, light gray, and medium gray. They are reading around 75% full. And the best part is that all of this only cost me $105, $100 for the printer with paper and $5 for 50 4x6's for proofing!

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Bilgola
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 01, 2014 04:02 |  #5

Hi All, Many thanks for your replies...it all looks like good news although I envy the US prices. The best price I can find in Australia is about $650 including delivery and while the Pro 1 sounds outstanding that would come in at double the price so its not an option for me.

I don't expect to be a volume printer so I think the 100 will be fine for a lowish output. I have heard that the dye type printers (like the 100) are not as archival as the higher end pigment models but this would only be a worry if I was going to sell my images.

Kind regards

Canon 7d, Canon EF 24-105mm f4 L IS, Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Canon Speedlite 550EX, SLIK Pro 713CF II, Manfrotto Monopod, RODE Video Mic Pro, BlackRapid Strap, Hahnel Combi TF Remote, Lowpro Roller Lite 150AW

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 01, 2014 11:33 |  #6

MCAsan wrote in post #16652293 (external link)
We always liked the 9500II. The wife loves her P-100. We both love the Pro-1 for the killer color and more importantly...the killer B&W prints it can make. So before paying retail for a Pro-100 or Pro-10, seriously consider a new Pro-1 via ebay for less money.

I really like my 9000 Mk II, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. The Pro 100 doesn't seem like that much of an improvement. I wouldn't mind the Pro 10 but its specs show it to be considerably slower than the Pro 1. I don't do much black and white, but I would like the speed.

I have always been a little wary of E-Bay. Do you have a seller you can recommend?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 01, 2014 16:05 |  #7

Yno wrote in post #16655394 (external link)
I really like my 9000 Mk II, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. The Pro 100 doesn't seem like that much of an improvement. I wouldn't mind the Pro 10 but its specs show it to be considerably slower than the Pro 1. I don't do much black and white, but I would like the speed.

I have always been a little wary of E-Bay. Do you have a seller you can recommend?

I have a PRO 100 with which I have been very impressed. It is the best dye printer I have used. On the correct types of paper, (mostly RC but some fine art papers as well) it just sings. The colors are deep and rich and the prints are much better than wet lab prints. The PRO 1 is, by all reports, an equally superb pigment printer.

Compared to those two, the PRO 10 seems a little drab. I think your choice is pigment or dye. When you make that decision, the printer will be obvious. If you like dye, the PRO 100 is a really good choice. If you want pigment, get the PRO 1

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Bilgola
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 01, 2014 18:00 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #8

Thanks RGS...my decision is pretty well made for the Pro 100 and your comments come just after I have been doing even more research on line. Like everything in the world there are compromises to be made and in this case it largely come down to the longevity of the prints (compared to pigment based ink) which is not a major issue for me (I will be using the printer to produce images for club comps). It seems clear from my reading that dye inks are improving in leaps and bounds in archival terms and can only get better...also I now understand that there is a relationship between the paper used and the prints longevity. Which brings me to another question on this thread...what paper would make a good choice for me to standardise on, there is certainly a lot of choice???

rgs
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 01, 2014 18:19 |  #9

Canon Pro Luster or Pro Platinum (glossy) are good choices depending on whether you like a glossy or a luster surface. The other Canon Glossy surfaces are also good and a bit cheaper. The Canson Infinity papers are also quite good and the Photo Satin Premium is good choice for an everyday paper. I like Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Pearl very much but Ilford is out of business and supplies will soon be gone.

My default paper is Red River Arctic Polar Satin but the next time I will be looking at UltraPro Satin which is a newer variation that looks promising.

These are all RC type papers that maximize archival qualities of the PRO 100s dye ink.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Bilgola
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 01, 2014 18:35 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #10

Thanks again, it seems I will be spoilt for choice :) Regards, Mike

N2bnfunn
727 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 01, 2014 20:15 |  #11

MCAsan wrote in post #16652293 (external link)
We had 9500II and won a Pro-100 at a photo club event. We liked the 100 well enough to keep it for the wife to do prints for scrape booking. We gave the 9500II to a niece. Then I got us a new Pro-1 for $575 delivered from ebay. I also got boxes of Canon ink for the 100 and 1 printers on ebay for 1/3 off compared to prices at B&H or Adorama.

Can not recommend Canon high end ink jets enough!

I did the same thing I only paid 500 for a new Pro-1 and I love it,. IT is a BEAST.. IT STAYIN BEAST MODE ALL THE TIME ....

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

Brian ­ Lumb ­ Photography
31 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 03, 2014 11:44 |  #12

I have used a variety of paper with the Pro-100 and I am happy with most. As rgs stated, the Luster and Ilford Smooth pearl are good. I am still waiting for my shipment of Pro Platinum and Canon Pro Premium Matte to arrive to test. The Pro Semi-Gloss is also a great paper.

I love Canson Infinity paper but I am not happy with the results of the prints made on the Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique, I found it to be duller than the Semi-Gloss as it muted the colors and it wasn't as sharp. To Canson's defense, they did state it was optimized for pigment inks. So I am waiting for a shipment of their Platine Fiber Rag as a possible B&W medium.

I will be flowing through inks as I test the papers from Red River and Canson using their Discovery Packs.

Either way, you will enjoy your new Pro-100. :-)

Ps, would love to find a deal on a Pro-1, Especially for B&W work.

rgs wrote in post #16656236 (external link)
Canon Pro Luster or Pro Platinum (glossy) are good choices depending on whether you like a glossy or a luster surface. The other Canon Glossy surfaces are also good and a bit cheaper. The Canson Infinity papers are also quite good and the Photo Satin Premium is good choice for an everyday paper. I like Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Pearl very much but Ilford is out of business and supplies will soon be gone.

My default paper is Red River Arctic Polar Satin but the next time I will be looking at UltraPro Satin which is a newer variation that looks promising.

These are all RC type papers that maximize archival qualities of the PRO 100s dye ink.

5D Mark IV Gripped, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II, EF 16-35 f2.8L II, EF 100 f2.8L IS Macro, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, Sigma 100-300 f/4 APO, 600EXII, 580EXII, Pixma Pro-10, and Pixma Pro-100.

sponsored links

3,282 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Pixma Pro 100
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.