Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Feb 2014 (Saturday) 09:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

cheap cross bar

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 01, 2014 09:20 |  #1

Looking for a cheap crossbar, up to 10 feet long, to hold muslin backdrops. I am leaning towards this telescopic crossbar for <30:

http://www.cowboystudi​o.com/product_p/crossb​ar.htm (external link)

Are there better options out there at the 30ish price point range?

Gearlist

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 01, 2014 13:40 |  #2

kenwood33 wrote in post #16655109 (external link)
Looking for a cheap crossbar, up to 10 feet long, to hold muslin backdrops. I am leaning towards this telescopic crossbar for <30:

The cheapest crossbar you'll find is a length of PVC pipe from a hardware store.

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 01, 2014 13:42 |  #3

DC Fan wrote in post #16655656 (external link)
The cheapest crossbar you'll find is a length of PVC pipe from a hardware store.

+1, made one myself, works just fine. Obviously not professional but does the job.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 01, 2014 14:18 |  #4

DC Fan wrote in post #16655656 (external link)

go over to electrical and get some EMT conduit, It's actually cheaper and infinitely stronger, than PVC.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 01, 2014 14:18 |  #5

kenwood33 wrote in post #16655109 (external link)

I also suggest 1" (or larger) electrical metallic tubing (EMT - also called conduit) over PVC. It is galvanized (zinc coated) steel. It is a lot stronger, yet still inexpensive.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 01, 2014 14:19 |  #6

FlashZebra wrote in post #16655753 (external link)
I also suggest 1" steel electrical conduit over PVC. It is a lot stronger, yet still inexpensive.

Enjoy! Lon

listen to this guy, he's smart.

:D

of course if you need to travel with it, you'd want something else.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

kenwood33
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 01, 2014 16:34 |  #7

Yes sorry I do need to travel with it. That's why I was leaning towards the telescopic option.

Electrical conduit looks fine for home use for sure.

Gearlist

Carl ­ in ­ louisiana
21 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 01, 2014 19:29 as a reply to  @ kenwood33's post |  #8

I used 3/4" PVC and then used 1/2" electrical conduit. The conduit was too small so every four inches I wrapped duck tape around the conduit, about six wraps I think, to just enough that it would go into the 3/4" PCV with just a small amount of friction. It holds excellent (no sagging). As a matter of fact I made my whole frame for the back drop the same way. I just slip it all together when needed and take it apart for storing. Just don't sand or trim the ends of the PVC or the joints so they fit tight when put together. Ten foot section of electrical conduit, a section of PVC, and a small roll of duck tape under ten dollars.

Sorry forgot to add: Using a sleeve (coupling) you can glue it to one section of the PVC and then join two sections together say two 5' sections to make ten feet, the same can be done with the conduit but to make the PVC and the conduit stronger do not make the coupling of the two in the same spot. Say PVC at 5' and conduit at 6' for one section and 4' for the other.

Green ­ Li
753 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 02, 2014 03:10 |  #9

i had a telescoping cross bar, but was not happy with it (i think it was by Impact). it became flimsy after a short while. also one end was narrower that the other (obviously), which I found annoying.
to be fair, it was like 10 years ago. things might have gotten better in the telescoping world :). i use lumopro, though: http://lumopro.com/pro​duct.php?id=48 (external link)
it is more expensive that what you are looking for, but it works for me. hope this helps a bit.

PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com – photo tips, photography reviews (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Google (external link)+

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 02, 2014 16:31 |  #10

Linco makes a good crossbar. I have their 2-piece telescopic crossbars and they also offer a 4-piece interlocking one. Well worth more than $30 but you can get one from their eBay store for about that price. Their member name is Lincoinc168 if you search for it by seller. FYI, I'd buy a curtain rod before anything from Cowboy Studio again.

BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 03, 2014 13:30 as a reply to  @ CAPhotog's post |  #11

I have had one of these for a few years:
http://www.skaeser.com …ERLOCKING-CROSSBAR/Detail (external link)

$23. I've set it up a few dozen times, I suppose. I've tried to be very gentle with it and it is still pretty tight and straight, though the heaviest thing I put on it are 10x20 muslins.

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Gallery: 301 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 03, 2014 13:45 |  #12

FlashZebra wrote in post #16655753 (external link)
I also suggest 1" (or larger) electrical metallic tubing (EMT - also called conduit) over PVC. It is galvanized (zinc coated) steel. It is a lot stronger, yet still inexpensive.

Enjoy! Lon

This, plus you can cut it in two, put a joint in it for transportation. The joint is stronger than the pipe and also helps stiffen the pipe.

toolman21
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 03, 2014 13:48 |  #13

I recently got this setup. It isn't super heavy duty but should be fine for muslin or paper (not sure about a whole roll).

The crossbar is 10' wide and breaks down into 4 sections so you can do longer/shorter. It looks very similar to the one BTNorris mentioned. This kit just comes with the stands and a really nice carry case for the whole thing. I have only used it once so far to drape a blanket over for newborn photos, but happy with it so far for $39.

http://www.amazon.com …keywords=backgr​ound+stand (external link)

Toolman21 - Canon 60d & T1i (sold) - Canon 17-55 | Canon 17-85 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 10-20 | Canon 55-250
My Flicker (external link) | Like me on Facebook to follow my He-Man 365 nonsense (external link)| www.heman365.com (external link)https://www.facebook.c​om …n-Digital/34796106523515​2 (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 03, 2014 14:09 |  #14

I got an IKEA curtain rod - they come in two diameters, get the thicker one. Way sturdier than PVC, but not as sturdy as the conduit - but not as heavy either.

Get the curtain rings too, to easily clip your fabric backdrops into place.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links

3,258 views & 0 likes for this thread
cheap cross bar
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.