Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 30 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 05:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 50mm f/1L USM - The Mighty One

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 03, 2014 01:17 |  #226

If Noktor would take their 92,000 votes poll and make an EOS hyperprime f .05 I would be their first buyer.
http://noktor.com/inde​x.php (external link)

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

sponsored links
CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 03, 2014 07:33 |  #227

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16659468 (external link)
If Noktor would take their 92,000 votes poll and make an EOS hyperprime f .05 I would be their first buyer.
http://noktor.com/inde​x.php (external link)

A 50mm f/.05 would have a 1 meter aperture. Perhaps you mean f/.95 ;)

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 03, 2014 11:26 |  #228

CheshireCat wrote in post #16659789 (external link)
A 50mm f/.05 would have a 1 meter aperture. Perhaps you mean f/.95 ;)

Nothing wrong with 100kg lens. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 03, 2014 17:19 |  #229

jwcdds wrote in post #16660294 (external link)

Of course, I'm in ! Where do I pre-order (lens and wheelbarrow) ? :)

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 03, 2014 19:52 |  #230

CheshireCat wrote in post #16661145 (external link)
Of course, I'm in ! Where do I pre-order (lens and wheelbarrow) ? :)

Haha naww, now I do want my mistyped f .05 aperture, without Benzer method or not.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 04, 2014 01:45 |  #231

Just posted up here for those interested: 50mm f 1.0 For Sale
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1358537

James Patrus

Yank
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 04, 2014 08:25 |  #232

jwcdds wrote in post #16660294 (external link)

HA HA :)

Yank
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 04, 2014 08:28 as a reply to  @ Yank's post |  #233

Can anybody translate ore explain to me what he is doing here ?

http://www.ldsclub.net …/viewthread.php​?tid=44263 (external link)

Btw I am enjoing thailand 8-)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 04, 2014 10:12 |  #234

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16662052 (external link)
Just posted up here for those interested: 50mm f 1.0 For Sale
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1358537

hehe... he should really post some photos. would help his cause.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 04, 2014 17:24 |  #235

Yank wrote in post #16662442 (external link)

Glad to here it, post some pics. And pic up a couple Helios 85mm f 1.5 lenses
One for you and one for me, I'll pay postage ;)

James Patrus

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 04, 2014 17:36 |  #236

Yank wrote in post #16662442 (external link)

ROUGH TRANSLATION:

EF 50mm f/1.0 L - opening

First, I want to emphasize one thing many users write or send a personal message to me ... I hope I helped him tune-up or transfer large rabbit about this kind of message I always reply .. not because I do not have much time to help you adjust the lens and body .... if you want to tune tune .. endless lifetime to pay with some friends said to me ... which I also do not accept ... If the charges .. tune bad or unsatisfactory follow-up question must be a bucketful of this point and we say sorry! ! After all, I am a photography teacher not repair the camera and lens .... there are families to feed ... so I did not have so much time to help you adjust the lens or body-focus lens test airframe or not ----- --------------- ------------- saying a few weeks ago .... Zhao boss asked my tune a large rabbit with 50 1.0L + 28-70L (only 28-70L is Zhao boss) Zhao boss are opening up ... how can I refuse him ... tell the truth ... I really do not want to tune Fengyun 50 1.0L because I did not adjust too ... plus the current Middle Fengyun so expensive ... 10 market and very few tens ..... ...... goods with new less if I smash it up ... do not lose endless! Recent home and busy .... so the lens is placed in the large rabbit in my Cabinets ... put a 1 to more than two weeks .. absolutely no time to adjust and test Fengyun 50 1.0L I never useless Fengyun rare and out of print over the mirror of God seen a lot of network test reports are said before .... 1.0 .... this lens iris image quality is very, very soft .... 1.0 aperture proclaimed significance than real meaning fully open aperture shooting ... not very practical .... is it really! ! In the end is the ultimate optical design! ! Or the lens out of focus problem! ! Let us continue to read on the left is 50 1.2L right is 50 1.0 L Fengyun goods with a very new 50 1.0L owner also helped it enveloped UD Year 1989 ... 23 years ago, the production of production of the old mirror .... goods with like new .... it is best of the best ... after a big jade (see wanted to talk about - the cool card good ... really big) compared with the 50 1.2L simply see nothing in big witch after 85 1.2L bigger than Jade (right 85L ) volume and 85L similar (85L Mount Hood I have a .. do not bother with tape removed) 50 1.0L actual measurement focus and shoot , I found this lens ... almost shooting distance of 1 to 1.5 meters .. have a very serious setback over 1.5 meters, half ... half after the quasi-shift (will float) shooting distance will pull farther away .... more prospective about one meter shooting distance aperture fully open aperture 1.0 crop is focusing invincible quality soft ..... actually closer look at the following HTC carton .... I deliberately placed one after the other .... we can see that after the shift not measured coke users will say ... this lens aperture definition 1.0 soft ... according to my reasoning ..... this lens structure should focus 85L generation of very similar ... The method should be the same 85L generation network focusing method .... many years ago without any reference ... I'm my own split mirror fumble out ... It took a year to get it repeated many times demolished call asked 50 1.0 L masters ..... you sure you want to split it! ! Oh, I do not blame bad split apart 50 1.0L and 85L generation base housing .... structure similar tear tape ... 3 .... and 85L generation variable resistor identical (be sure to take pictures .. the Originally recorded resistive position) before my 85L is no resistance parades do first record ... three ... go completely unable to autofocus ... I spent nearly 10 hours of struggle, the reversal of the normal .. .. According to the experience ... This substantial shift the focus adjusting resistance is useless ... must change weld welding points behind two rows .... There are about three are breaking the left to the right three. The above two are the paths .. first with a special suction tin ... the right of the above two paths cancel ... back to the zero state are all open circuit (which is soldered point zero state) according to 85L Focusing generation experience .... the left above that point ... if there is a post-weld ... solve shift .... No welding is to solve the forward and the left middle and right below that point ... that three You can adjust the amplitude of solving practical in the end how the combination ... I'm just in my experience a combination of detailed reasoning .... transfer method .. please ask yourself Canon (if you ask it, then ) so I'll try ... . the left upper welding (after resolving shift - the focus pulled forward) .... left of the central welding (pulled forward a grid) ... the actual test has improved ... but still there after the shift to the left above the welding later I found (After solving the shift - the focus pulled forward) .... left of center and left of the following welding (pulled forward two squares) after shifting the problem is solved ... only 10% of the level of minor setback next step is adjust the variable resistor to adjust the detail do not ask me what it is responsible for three of ... I do not know (there may be a focus Manual focus adjustment focusing speed damping strength sensitivity of the focus ring after AF ... there detail focus) and I are once only turn a very slight margin ... turning slowly .... try ... try to turn out the most accurate of the most stable state of adjustment is completed ..... then shoot the same Aperture 1.0 full picture cropping (Who says this lens aperture 1.0 full quality super soft!!) this lens blind for 23 years finally hit me .... finally help it open light! ! 50 1.0L quasi fun shoot out of it .... will actually take households outdoor photo taken following photos are 50 1.0L + big rabbit (50 1.0 L owner's big rabbit ... just shoot more than 20,000 copies. Basically ..... I TESTED ... very accurate .. 45 points so I just look a little fine-tuning body) (Body JPG sharpness setting 4) - are all full aperture 1.0 aperture shooting (buy 1.0 Large aperture lens aperture fully open shot .... dare buy Fengyun what to do ... that?) not all of them with a central focus point .. the way the test is not a central point accuracy to shoot anything .... old outdoors Terrier ... that beat street near my house cat ... 20 I have a few street cats fed for a year ... rain or shine ... very familiar with each telling me I'm not afraid to shoot well .. eve typhoon light .. cloudy ... not very nice close-up shots very accurate long-range test crop (1.0 aperture) distance are quasi-quasi-real! ! Crop Crop the mirror self (quasi-real big aperture lens .... reflection in the mirror after shooting distance shooting .. twice ..... a test to know whether the Right ... This is what I shoot weddings Bridal makeup experience out of ideas ...) crop 50L this lens .... ... 1.0 aperture alignment after a very sharp ... but the more serious purple fringing will shrink to 1.2 aperture ... painting sharper and better quality .. details .. purple fringing also milder 1.2 aperture shooting cropped allowed coke 50 1.0L = decorations - baubles quasi-focus lens 50 1.0L = God - 1.0 aperture fully open also scare scare called these days with 50 1.2L and 50 1.0L compare shooting coke 50 1.0L quasi overall quality - detail - bokeh and blur extent can only be said to be mad power 50 1.2L how to learn the results, see next back to wait and see! ! [This post was last edited by Kent at 2012-8-24 00:35]

James Patrus

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 04, 2014 17:45 |  #237

EDIT**** "Large Rabbit" = "Large Camera Lens" aka white telephoto?

Meaning?
I took apart a 28-70L but I don;t want to take apart this f 1.0 lens It is rare and hard to replace. About 10,00 were made. (5,000 actually)
I have been busy and not touched this lens.
They say the 1.0 is soft wide open, many people mistake this for a focus problem.
In the end the f 1.0 is the best and ultimate optical design (agreed)

This thing is huge, it uses the same size and design as the current 85L lens. It is heavier than the 50L 1.2 as well.
Looks like he got brave, opened it up and resoldered a ribbon cable to fix the "fly by wire" AF in the 1.0?
Not sure.
After than much take of shooting a apertures other than 1.0 and locations.
Followed by many photos of the lens and shooting with the lens.

Hope that helps

James Patrus

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 04, 2014 20:34 |  #238

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16661470 (external link)
Haha naww, now I do want my mistyped f .05 aperture, without Benzer method or not.

With the Brenizer method, I am afraid you would need to compose a picture made of 25x25 shots :D

But seriously, a 2x2 shots composition using a 100/2 lens will render like a 50/1 lens.
Of course the subject must not move, and you actually need 3x3 overlapping shots for algorithms to seamlessly compose the final 2x2 image. Nevertheless it is a very interesting experiment.. and cheaper than buying a 50/1 ;).
Don't forget to lock focus and exposure, so that they don't change between shots.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 04, 2014 21:04 |  #239

Hmmmm, perhaps I will try this more this weekend, I got my 100L and free time.

James Patrus

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 04, 2014 21:23 |  #240

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16664311 (external link)
Hmmmm, perhaps I will try this more this weekend, I got my 100L and free time.

Nice exercise. Note however that your 100L is "only" f/2.8, so you can do:

2x2 for 50/1.4 equivalent
3x3 for 35/1.0 equivalent
4x4 for 25/0.7 equivalent

Remember to add the overlapping "glue shots" in case you compose with a program.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

sponsored links

160,291 views & 28 likes for this thread
Canon EF 50mm f/1L USM - The Mighty One
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.