Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 05 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 11:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

mounting flash to large column

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 05, 2014 11:39 |  #1

Hey guys, how do my fellow OCF photographer friends here all mount a flash (and preferably a battery back) at or even better to larger reception columns?

I have a venue that i'm back at this summer where i'm able to get one light stand up near the dj easy enough. and last time I shot there I ended up putting both of my stands at either end of his "stuff" but it was less than ideal for me. I prefer to cross light when I can, and really like to use 3 lights sometimes too. anyway I couldn't find a spot on the other side of the dance floor at all, between the amount of tables/chairs and the arrangement there just wasn't another spot.

i'll often mount a flash or two on a super clamp here or there, but the only spot I can think to mount one here is on one of the columns that is adjacent to the dancefloor and a super clamp won't do that! i'd say these are like 12-18" diameter columns

i'm half thinking of just bringing some long bungee cords to wrap around the column as I've done that before in a pinch too, but this is a nice enough venue that I don't want to kill the mood with a bungee cord job if I don't have to :)

any other ideas? here's a wide angle view of what I did last time, and you can see one of the columns on the right that i'm thinking about using. i'm standing at the other one. you can see that I had to use more on camera flash than I would have preferred.

IMAGE: http://www.mitchsgallery.com/img/s1/v47/p897471268-4.jpg

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links
bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 05, 2014 11:44 |  #2

I should add that I don't want to just put a stand at one of the columns because the legs would certainly be in the way here. if lightstand could work without legs sticking out, our lives would be so much easier! :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

jmikolich
388 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 05, 2014 11:52 |  #3

Without seeing the column, is it possible to use some of those 3M easy remove pads with some velcro super glued to them? I've done this for other things never tried with a flash though.

Take the removable pull tab 3M adhesive stuff and use that to attach a piece of velcro?

I've also used Nite Ize or something close which are "cord management" but they come in 18 to 24" lengths with a filament in them, they have molded end caps and come in black... check amazon for them.. Gear Ties or some thing like that.

-Jim
Canon 5D3,5D3,5D2,6D,24 f2.8 IS,35L,45 TS-E,50L,85 f1.8,70-200 f2.8L II,100L
Rokinon 14mm f2.8

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 05, 2014 11:53 |  #4

While this has nothing to do with weddings, I've been contemplating a similar issue to get a flash up on a tree for hare scrambles races. What I've been contemplating is mounting a pair of straps to a baby wall plate.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com …-3&keywords=lashing+str​ap (external link)

...mounted to one of these:
http://www.amazon.com …&keywords=baby+​wall+plate (external link)

....then you can use the appropriate pin to mount a speedlight, or switch to a baby pin and mount a strobe. Granted it's still just a thought right now, I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 05, 2014 12:01 |  #5

great ideas! thanks guys.

I might rig up something like that wall plate/ lashing strap, that could come in really handy.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 05, 2014 12:41 |  #6

You could maybe also get some white chiffon and create some kind of bow to hide the bungee cord? Or fake plants/flowers?

Or use something like strong fishing line, a wire or guitar string, something strong but thin enough so it won't really show much, if at all?

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Blaster6
238 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 05, 2014 12:53 |  #7

phantelope wrote in post #16665724 (external link)
You could maybe also get some white chiffon and create some kind of bow to hide the bungee cord? Or fake plants/flowers?

Or use something like strong fishing line, a wire or guitar string, something strong but thin enough so it won't really show much, if at all?

There you go!

And to think I was going to recommend gaffer's tape. :oops:

No, I never claimed to be outstanding in the field of photography. I said I was out standing in the field taking photos.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 05, 2014 13:03 |  #8

Fishing line alone might allow the flash to slip down the column. It'll hold it TO the column, but might not hold it up.

Alternate idea: Light stand with the legs folded in (effectively a monopod) to support the weight of the flash and maintain height, and a lashing of fishing line to hold it against the column.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 05, 2014 13:43 |  #9

nathancarter wrote in post #16665773 (external link)
Fishing line alone might allow the flash to slip down the column. It'll hold it TO the column, but might not hold it up.

Alternate idea: Light stand with the legs folded in (effectively a monopod) to support the weight of the flash and maintain height, and a lashing of fishing line to hold it against the column.

yeah, I've done this before with bungee cords with success. this may be the way to go here.

I like the fishing/guitar string ideas, definitely less conspicuous than bungees lol!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 05, 2014 14:24 |  #10

bungee cords and long velcro strips have done the trick many times

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 05, 2014 14:27 |  #11

One other thing I just thought of, you can get a bracket to hang a flash from a drop ceiling.

http://www.amazon.com …ords=avenger+dr​op+ceiling (external link)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 05, 2014 14:50 |  #12

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16665966 (external link)
One other thing I just thought of, you can get a bracket to hang a flash from a drop ceiling.

http://www.amazon.com …ords=avenger+dr​op+ceiling (external link)

oh that right there is a reception lighting game changer, I like it!
especially if i'm going direct anyway. not so much if I wanted to bounce of said ceiling, but certainly an awesome option. Thanks!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

jcolman
Goldmember
2,645 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 05, 2014 20:18 |  #13

bigarchi wrote in post #16666024 (external link)
oh that right there is a reception lighting game changer, I like it!
especially if i'm going direct anyway. not so much if I wanted to bounce of said ceiling, but certainly an awesome option. Thanks!

I've used these for years when I was in the video production biz. One word of caution, always use a safety line or chain wrapped around your light if possible. While these are great clamps, accidents do happen.

But to answer your question, I would simply use light stands and bungee cords. People are not likely to complain about the "appearance" of your setup.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 05, 2014 21:41 |  #14

I just Justin Clamps and Super Clamps regularly. I'd have to see the specific column to give you a specific answer. Gorilla Pod could work if you knew people wouldn't mess with it.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 05, 2014 23:03 |  #15

Hammer and nails.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

3,630 views & 0 likes for this thread
mounting flash to large column
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.