Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 22:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

keep wasting money buying the same lens multiple times!

datadump
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 05, 2014 22:17 |  #1

anyone else go through circles with certain lenses?

i owned 135L THREE times. ... kept selling it and buying it -- going through cycles of realizing what a GEM that lens is and using it frequently and then it starts collecting dust for a a long while and i end up selling..... cycle continues.

then similar thing with 85L -- i just bought this again for the second time.

how do you stop this madness. !!

datadump

sponsored links
monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Feb 05, 2014 22:21 |  #2

datadump wrote in post #16667046 (external link)

i owned 135L THREE times. ... kept selling it and buying it -- going through cycles of realizing what a GEM that lens is and using it frequently and then it starts collecting dust for a a long while and i end up selling..... cycle continues.

Buy two of each - then just sell one whenever you get that itch, and buy it back when you scratch it. And, bingo, you always have one of each. :):):)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 05, 2014 22:21 |  #3

Quit chasing perfection, and get a handle on your gear lust! ;)

Kel
Gear

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,937 posts
Gallery: 1382 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 05, 2014 22:21 |  #4

Heya,

Lol, I thought this was going to be a Sigma thread.

I bet your cycle of buy/sell corresponds to the peaks/troughs of the waves of popularity concerning the two lenses. Currently 135L gets talked about in nearly every thread. The 85L will make it's come-back in threads again, and you'll probably end up buying it again too. And thus the 135L takes a nap for a while, so you might sell it. Then... it all starts over again.

Between the 135/85, I would just pick one and stick with it. The 135 is more versatile since it can focus on moving objects in relatively low light.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

datadump
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 05, 2014 22:23 |  #5

its more like, i cant stand idle lens. if i didnt use it fore more than 6 months,i dont like to have it collecting dust.... i cant just leave it there sitting on a shelf.

datadump

Kanye
670 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 05, 2014 22:23 |  #6

Bought a 70-210mm f/4 twice
Bought a 28-80mm f/2.8-4.0 twice

*checking in*

datadump
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 05, 2014 22:25 |  #7

MalVeauX wrote in post #16667065 (external link)
Heya,

Lol, I thought this was going to be a Sigma thread.

WAHAHAHA good one.... off topic: i had a sigma 30 and 50 -- CANT STAND the focus problems. declared never to buy a sigma again.

datadump

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,702 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 05, 2014 22:25 |  #8

datadump wrote in post #16667046 (external link)

I have bought and sold the same lenses multiple times, but never lost money doing it. If you are careful about where you buy lenses and at what prices, you should be able to break even or even make money.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 05, 2014 22:37 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Bought Sigma 85 twice and will never let it go again, unless Sigma comes out with the 85 Art ;)

I don't mind my lens collecting dust, I've only used my 17-40 twice since the purchase 2 years ago.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 06, 2014 02:39 |  #10

datadump wrote in post #16667068 (external link)
its more like, i cant stand idle lens. if i didnt use it fore more than 6 months,i dont like to have it collecting dust.... i cant just leave it there sitting on a shelf.

Do you then buy a new set of skis before each season?

Add up what you lost by buying and selling, and compare it to the opportunity cost of not investing the money it would take to buy the lens new and leave it sitting unused. Which is more? Can you afford either strategy, neither strategy, or just the cheaper one?

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined May 2013

Feb 06, 2014 06:39 |  #11

I dont understand it. My 135L is my least used L lens. Ive used it maybe 2 or 3 times since i bought it 10 months ago. But why should i sell it? If i NEED a portrait lens or something very sharp i have it by my side. Clean the dust on the lens and use it for what you bought it.

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 06, 2014 07:26 |  #12

davidfarina wrote in post #16667584 (external link)
I dont understand it. My 135L is my least used L lens. Ive used it maybe 2 or 3 times since i bought it 10 months ago. But why should i sell it? If i NEED a portrait lens or something very sharp i have it by my side. Clean the dust on the lens and use it for what you bought it.

I agree, I have never sold a lens and then re bought it. The money I have slowly been putting into my lenses is safe to just sit there.
For others, I totally understand freeing up the cash to buy a different lens that you will use more; but to buy the same lens over and over?

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

datadump
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 06, 2014 07:50 |  #13

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16667663 (external link)
I totally understand freeing up the cash to buy a different lens that you will use more; but to buy the same lens over and over?

yes it is absolutely stupid. for the 135L, i kept convincing myself this is just too long for the space i usually shoot. end up selling it because at times it just sits there for not just 6months but up to a year without use. i'd sell it, free up money, buy a shorter length, then end up missing the 135. (never bought that new though).

as for the 85L , i bought new.. then the first time i sold, it was for money reasons. second time i bought it back (used-price), just because i missed the magic.

i have excuses for 85L but i am ashamed of 135L disorder:)

datadump

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,702 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2002

Feb 06, 2014 07:54 |  #14

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16667663 (external link)
I agree, I have never sold a lens and then re bought it. The money I have slowly been putting into my lenses is safe to just sit there.
For others, I totally understand freeing up the cash to buy a different lens that you will use more; but to buy the same lens over and over?

Would your question change if you could make money each time you bought and sold? ;)

I buy a lens, use it for a season, and then sell it. Later, my formats may change or needs may change, so I buy that lens again. This protects me from depreciation costs, as well as builds up funds for a different lens later, and I get to use any lens for a period of time. This is a more cost effective way to renting a lens. If I use a lens extensively, I keep it. If I find a lens that isn't being used for a long period of time, I sell it, and I don't lose anything in the process.

I just bought a lens a couple of weeks ago, and tried it out for a week. I decided with my 50 1.4 and my 100 2.8, this new lens wouldn't see much use. I listed it on Amazon this week, and made $70 selling it there. Just an example.

In summary, if you buy lenses and then sell them later, and lose money each time, you might want to change your tactics a bit. There is almost no reason to lose money doing this.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,051 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 06, 2014 08:08 |  #15

Never sell. Maybe it's just me. I study a bit, buy and keep until broken or outdated. Like buying cars over and over, before you know it your $20k car costs $100k in bank loans. I'm of the opinion that most of the time, once bought, gear is more useful in ones bag.

sponsored links

5,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
keep wasting money buying the same lens multiple times!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.